PDA

View Full Version : Went back and found more starting at 1746

don in ny
06-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Went back to the yard I found the silver spoon and buckle and came up with more. I found what is probably my nicest George II halfpence. I've found older, but not as nice. What was interesting is the thimble and button came up about 6 inches apart.

giant056
06-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Fantastic bunch of finds ya got there :thumbsup02: Awesome George II halfpence and nice silver thimble.

.................................................. ...... :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
06-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Nice finds Don. That lawn is beautiful. Do you hunt after rain fall so as not to chance plugs dying? Scary lawn to hunt.

don in ny
06-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Nice finds Don. That lawn is beautiful. Do you hunt after rain fall so as not to chance plugs dying? Scary lawn to hunt.

I cut very square edged, 3 sided deep plugs to keep the plug connected to the rest of the lawn. Once I remove the object I make sure any residual dirt goes back in the hole and a press firmly with my foot all around the plug. I use a small shovel most of the time as it helps pry a deep plug. I'm glad you brought this up. For all those out there, I don't care where you detect, try an leave a place with no evidence you have ever been there. This is not just for manicured lawns and parks, it goes for the woods and everywhere else. I took a couple of pictures in the last week from a church yard where I detect. I was so p*ssed off I had to photo it to bring it up at my club as a reminder.

del
06-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Hey Don congrats on what looks like a very sweet George II copper , hey the large item on the left is that a rosette?? I agree deep nice plugs will save the roots on the grass much better than the shallow plugs as they usually end up ripping the roots and damaging the grass more.

The Rebel
06-07-2014, 02:52 PM
WTG Don! That KG has some awesome detail!

BTV Digger
06-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Great day Don! Love the "green-ness" of those old coppers. I had the same question as Dan. That is one huge button, almost rosette size.

BTV Digger

Lodge Scent
06-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Nice Georgie for sure !:congrats:

Thiltzy
06-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Great hunt Don. Nice old George and really like the thimble:clapping:

don in ny
06-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Hey Don congrats on what looks like a very sweet George II copper , hey the large item on the left is that a rosette?? I agree deep nice plugs will save the roots on the grass much better than the shallow plugs as they usually end up ripping the roots and damaging the grass more.

The large item on the left appears to be a pewter buckle. I found another shoe buckle at the site today which I'll post tomorrow. I'm tired now and gotta get up early as I'm going back to the spot where I found the 2 nice standing liberties and the Walker last Saturday. I picked up $1.80 face in silver my first time out at that spot and there is still over 100 acres to go :)

Timewarpdigger
06-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Congrats for the finds. Safe & HH

aloldstuff
06-08-2014, 06:19 AM
Great finds Don. Well detailed KGII and the silver thimble is another item on my hit list. It's always nice to remind members about plugs.

Looking forward to your next bunch of finds.

Bell-Two
06-08-2014, 07:50 AM
That is a very nice Copper! Beautiful thimble, nice that it is not squashed!