PDA

View Full Version : Solid Silver colonial knee buckle & a copper

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Got out with Todd again today we hit a few new areas.one site had a car dumped in it http://metaldetectingforum.com/images/smilies/laughing021.gif
tough goin at 1st hiked up a mountain only to find walls no site,2nd site was frustrating as it had the car in it and alot of just but managed a ball button,a very cool suspender buckle,a clay marble and pipe stem saw the light of day while digging,a lot of brass targets at this site we will probably get back there someday
last area was a wooded field along side a old road.nabbed a copper there not quite sure what it is http://metaldetectingforum.com/images/smilies/puzzled.gif a few buttons and a sweet solid silver knee buckle frame.the other tiny buckle i'm pretty sure is another knee buckle.probably for a infant boy I would imagine.tiniest thing i ever seen!

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-07-2014, 10:38 PM
CT Dan?

del
06-07-2014, 10:47 PM
sweet buckle Dave and copper :thumbsup02: those insects never sit still for me long enough to take their photo , well done :clapping:

R.I.Terry
06-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Very nice buckle Dave. I wish I had mountain to climb, nothing here but swamps and mole hills.

Skamaniac
06-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Some pretty cool finds there! Neat tree trunk too.

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-08-2014, 04:55 AM
sweet buckle Dave and copper :thumbsup02: those insects never sit still for me long enough to take their photo , well done :clapping:
thanks Dan! ya think that's a knee buckle? the itty bitty one?tiny huh? and what kind of copper? a CT?

aloldstuff
06-08-2014, 06:13 AM
Nice buckle and copper. Your pictures are always great....:thumbsup02:

giant056
06-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Great hunt and finds you guys had there :thumbsup02: I like that silver buckle :grin:

Bell-Two
06-08-2014, 07:49 AM
That is a sweet buckle, let us know if you figure out that Copper. That tree trunk looks like my legs feel sometimes after a long hunt! :)

OxShoeDrew
06-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Nicely done Dave. I'm waiting to find a silver buckle. :daydream:

Timewarpdigger
06-08-2014, 05:11 PM
I'll bet when your detector went over the car it blew your ears off LOL:rofl: Great finds and congrats. Man you guys really find some awesome stuff. Safe & HH

BTV Digger
06-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Nice hunt and great suspender buckle...your best find in my opinion considering it has both the upper and lower halves. Funny on the car. There's an old cellar hole near me that has part of a Model-T Ford sitting down in it, so good to see that's not as weird as I once thought! On the tree, that's really neat too. Old tree, twisted, because of years in the wind on a hill. But not now being sheltered down in the forest. Probably a lone tree and exposed on an open field at some time in the distant past. Perhaps the first growth tree? Thanks for sharing.

BTV Digger

kpmoose
06-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Nice finds Dave. My guess is CT copper. Based on the shape of the olive branch & how far it extends from the wrist to the forearm it might be a 1785, African head variety? Here is a pic to compare varieties (left out the 1787 version- not sure on that one?). I'm no expert, but had fun trying to figure it out. I assume no detail on the obverse?

Jyes
06-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Dave, spent some time testing out my new "eyes" and the closest I can come to on your beatup CT is: http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/connecticut_coppers/1787_ct_coppers/1787_ct_copper_miller_32.05_aa.htm

Don

All the punctuation marks seem to be in the right places, the branch is close, wear will distort but looking at others with same punctuation, the aa REVERSE (date side is reverse btw) is the closest match.

The Rebel
06-08-2014, 07:24 PM
WTG Dave. Man is that buckle tiny. Was a nice weekend to be out.

Lodge Scent
06-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Couple of nice little buckles there! Great hunt!

don in ny
06-10-2014, 09:46 AM
That is a KILLER silver knee buckle! The ratio of brass to silver knee buckles is way up there. It does appear to be a CT colonial reverse, but definitely not an African Head as someone mentioned. From the photo there appears to be 3 cinquefoils after the word INDE which would indicate reverse Z in the Miller attribution system. These are typically mated with the draped bust obverse which is the most common type of CT, although there are some rare varieties within the type. Maybe some more pics of the coppers? Great finds!

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Nice hunt and great suspender buckle...your best find in my opinion considering it has both the upper and lower halves. Funny on the car. There's an old cellar hole near me that has part of a Model-T Ford sitting down in it, so good to see that's not as weird as I once thought! On the tree, that's really neat too. Old tree, twisted, because of years in the wind on a hill. But not now being sheltered down in the forest. Probably a lone tree and exposed on an open field at some time in the distant past. Perhaps the first growth tree? Thanks for sharing.

BTV Digger
thanks! yeah we have another cellar with a old truck in it.really you like the suspender buckle over the silver knee buckle?