PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on MA legislation...right from State Senator Humason: who's trying to help us!

RobW
06-11-2014, 10:03 AM
I spoke with Senator Don Humason and one of his chief of staff last night at a fundraiser and got a bit of an update.

I cannot stress how bad this legislation is for our hobby.

This legislation goes beyond state beaches...it extends all the way to your local parks. The state is doing this for constancy. But yet another issue is that there is no consistency, such as in my town I can detect in local parks but in others, I cannot, as every township is different. You are prohibited from digging and removing things from these areas.

Senator Humason is on our side and is doing what he can. He said if this legislation goes into affect he will assist us in doing what he can to "undo" what he can. He realizes the ridiculousness of it's impact on our hobby/way of life.

Don Humason's chief of staff, Maura McCarthy, has asked for letters from "our community." Please send her emails about how this affects you and our hobby and the good we do. ESPECIALLY MA RESIDENTS and those who come into MA to detect/vacation, thus bringing commerce ($) into MA

Maura.Mccarthy@MAsenate.gov

giant056
06-12-2014, 02:45 AM
It's already happened in many spots, many of our state parks here in Michigan are off limits now and it will probably get worse with the way these politicians (hired dictator's) are running things these days. It's to the point where it's not the land of the free anymore.

RobW
06-12-2014, 07:36 AM
It's far worse than that. This new legislation goes all the way to municipal parks as well!

Moresound
06-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Live free or die

midas
06-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Back in the day, metal detecting was looked upon as a curiosity. ALLOWED everywhere. I remember hunting National Park sites and National Seashore beaches on the Cape with no problem. Then, as more & more people started detecting, some destroying parks and other sites, rules to keep out the bad seed - metal detecting - came into being. As the old adage - too many cooks spoil the brew. There are just too many people metal detecting, a lot of them with wanton disregard for public property. Improper digging, leaving holes unfilled, throwing trash items back on the ground, detecting on a crowded beach weaving in between beachgoers, etc. etc. All it takes is for 1 slob to ruin it for everyone. I was at a park last summer, it was obvious a detectorist was there. Brown circles of dead grass, trash next to a lot of the holes. A total mess. A lake beach I went to looked like it had been shelled. Craters everywhere.
Thanks to pigs like this, our hobby is in jeopardy. How many times have you seen them destroying a park and approached and educated them? Never? Well, therein lies another problem. If we can't police ourselves, the government has to do it for us.
The TV show DIGGERS, sheds another bad light on the hobby. A team of greedy idiots in a frenzy carelessly digging up the ground.

Moresound
06-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Has the companies that make metal detectors chimed in on this predicament?

RobW
06-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Has the companies that make metal detectors chimed in on this predicament?

Not to my knowledge

RobW
06-12-2014, 10:18 AM
I have now sent emails to the following manufacturers: Minelab, Garrett, and Whites

RobW
06-12-2014, 11:43 AM
I have received a response back from Minelab...they getting moving on this issue!!!!!

His response:

Thank you for the information, Robert.

I have copied in our industry focused group to help get the word out and drive the movement within this legislation…

All – let’s help get moving on the issue in Massachusetts.

My best,

Gary Schafer
General Manager
Minelab WW Consumer Markets|1938 University Lane, Suite A |Lisle, IL 60532
T: +1-630-401-8150 | F: +1-630-401-8187 | M: +1-312-714-2406 | E: gary.schafer@minelab.com (javascript:window.top.ZmObjectManager.__doClickOb ject(document.getElementById("OBJ_PREFIX_DWT2632_com_zimbra_email"));)

Moresound
06-12-2014, 12:06 PM
I have received a response back from Minelab...they getting moving on this issue!!!!!

His response:

Thank you for the information, Robert.

I have copied in our industry focused group to help get the word out and drive the movement within this legislation…

All – let’s help get moving on the issue in Massachusetts.

My best,

Gary Schafer
General Manager
Minelab WW Consumer Markets|1938 University Lane, Suite A |Lisle, IL 60532
T: +1-630-401-8150 | F: +1-630-401-8187 | M: +1-312-714-2406 | E: gary.schafer@minelab.com (http://javascript<strong></strong>:window.top.ZmObjectManager.__doClickObject(docume nt.getElementById(&quot;OBJ_PREFIX_DWT2632_com_zimbra_e mail&quot;));)

Thats great!

Sure would put a damper on their sales if we start losing digging rights state by state.

Lodge Scent
06-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the update Rob. I emailed Ms. McCarthy.

RobW
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Since Minelab got involved, things have REALLY taken off. The following groups have now got involved:

1) Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs
2) The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation

I spoke with Allyson Cohen of the Task Force for about an hour, a really great woman...and she's actually been out with our "beloved troopers" Dave and Todd for a day of detecting.

giant056
06-18-2014, 04:45 PM
This is what an email that I got today from Roger Barbic said

To my metal detecting friends;
Today after I sent another email reminding the DCR that we were waiting for a response, I received the following email.

Dear Mr. Barbrick:

I am sending this email on behalf of Mrs. Ellen FitzPatrick who is currently out of office.

Thank you for your follow-up email. We apologize for any confusion and hope that this email can provide some clarification.

After receiving your latest email, I consulted with several of my colleagues in order to better understand the intent of the latest recommendation regarding our metal detecting regulation. As it pertains to metal detecting on coastal and inland beaches, permission from the park supervisor will actually not be required. I apologize for any confusion that may have been caused by the previous email. As for other non-beach areas within DCR parks and forests – where metal detecting is not currently allowed due to potential natural, cultural, and archaeological resource protection concerns – metal detecting will be allowed when searching for specific lost personal property with verbal permission from the park supervisor.

Once again, thank you for your continued interest in DCR. We hope this addresses your questions.

Sincerely,
DCR MassParks Team

So as you can see we will continue to be allowed to metal detect on all DCR coastal & inland beaches and without 1st having to seek permission, according to the above email. :-)

Moresound
06-18-2014, 11:04 PM
:clapping: * :happy: * :clapping:

RobW
06-19-2014, 03:17 PM
But the continuing issue is that DCR has "broadened it's powers" in regards to "As for other non-beach areas within DCR parks and forests – where metal detecting is not currently allowed due to potential natural, cultural, and archaeological resource protection concerns – metal detecting will be allowed when searching for specific lost personal property with verbal permission from the park supervisor" is that this has been extended to "urban parks." meaning all municipal parks even outside their normal jurisdiction, usurping municipal authority..according to my conversations with the state senators office.

Thiltzy
06-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Some good news and great job from all involved.:grouphug: