PDA

View Full Version : Garretts and detectors in general

leslie(nova scotia)
06-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Garrett without a doubt as a company have kept up their great customer service....as for the machines they produce......well.

Seems that the cost has gone up while the quality has gone down.

Have spent enough on shipping and repairs to actually buy an Ace 250.

Sad thing is the pro I will not use in water as it may leak and has a rainbow across the LCD display when used in that element. Garrett indicated it was normal due to the temp change affecting the plastics used in the display. Another time they replaced the guts (circut boards) and then again.

Loyal Garrett user only but a loyal older Garrett user only as the Pro is just a back up. Did serve me well in the UK with the fact that you bouys get lots of rain.

If one were to add 1/10 of an inch depth for every year their company put out a new detector one would need a backhoe as a digging tool.....Garrett are not the only manufactures that promised this!

Machines are at their apex and like the kids now days of generation "Y" with their cell phones......who needs them with all their bells and whistles........give me a machine like the Freedom 3 Plus that just.....................beeps! 43 years now a swinging!

Skamaniac
06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
I bought the AT Pro because I'm in the rain a lot and there's always a creek, river, or lake nearby, so I wanted something waterproof if I drop it in the drink. That being said, I haven't had any issues with the machine yet that make me wish I'd chosen something else. I do have a 1980's White's as a back up though...just in case.

coinnut
06-12-2014, 09:04 PM
I think all companies face the same problems with quality to some extent. Machines back in the day were using basic electronic components. Also there were less faulty components. Today they deal with mass production, way more complicated components and software issues. I agree the cost of returning and insuring your machine gets to be a bit hard to swallow after a while. My CTX is not talking to it's coil once again. Computer chips in the coil, but I'm really starting to think it is something in the updates (software).