PDA

View Full Version : Not the sharpest knife in the drawer

Moresound
06-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Traveled an hour and a half to hunt a spot ... only to realize that I forgot the battery pack for my explorer II. :hystericallaugh:

OxShoeDrew
06-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Oh boy, sorry to hear it. Do you usually travel that far for hunting?

Full Metal Digger
06-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Its happened to me but I keep my spare battery pack in the car all the time and so I just have to hit the nearest convenience store to get some AAs.

Moresound
06-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Oh boy, sorry to hear it. Do you usually travel that far for hunting?

Not that far. I travel a lot though with my business and always bring my detector along.

Moresound
06-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Its happened to me but I keep my spare battery pack in the car all the time and so I just have to hit the nearest convenience store to get some AAs.

Would have worked if I had the Ace350 with me but I brought the explorer II. :happydance02:

coinnut
06-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Ouch. I had that happen to me before too. :lol:........:crying02: I carry extras of everything now :duh:

Moresound
06-15-2014, 10:16 PM
I was contemplating getting the new after market battery for it.
Supposably last three to five days!?!

Isaac
06-16-2014, 06:59 AM
That sucks! Happened to me once and it was NOT fun. :hystericallaugh:

MangoAve
06-16-2014, 12:48 PM
I am always skeptical about getting any machine that requires a special battery pack. I'm sure the capacity for them is good, but not sure the technology is there yet to make the packs last use after use and hold a charge. I carry an extra set in the backpack I bring along.

I was contemplating getting the new after market battery for it.
Supposably last three to five days!?!

Interesting... I would always like to get longer life out of the battery too. I only saw larger capacity batteries for cells and other small electronics. I use cheap 9v batteries and they never get the lifetime the detector is rated for with each set of batteries. But they are cheap so I can get more of them at a time.

Digger Don
06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear that. I always have an empty battery pack in the glove box. Just Incase

Cheap Thrills
06-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. I always have an empty battery pack in the glove box. Just Incase

That's a great idea Don . As there always seems to be somewhere nearby to pick up batteries . Also if you forget about your empty battery pack being in the glove box there won't be battery leakage .

Moresound ,
Like Coinnut and yourself I forgot my Explorer battery pack also . Man , I was bummed ! Now , I too carry an extra everything . I bought one of those RNB Lithium - Ion rechargeable battery kits when they first came out and I am extremely happy with it . I don't have a lot of time to detect and my opportunities seem to pop up at a moments notice .Sometimes a week may go by without a hunt .
I've been getting a couple of short hunts in here and there the last few months without recharging and the charge level still is up to the top on the battery check .I have never let it run all the way empty , I just "top it off" at my convenience .Money well spent in my opinion .

tanacat
06-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Bummer :( extra battery pack in car is a good idea

Tony Two-Cent
06-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Maybe this will make you feel better:

Earlier this year I drove an hour away to a park I had hunted a few times before. When I got there I opened my trunk and... no metal detector!

That's when it hit me.

I had taken my metal detector out of my car trunk the previous evening when I had gone to Lowe's to buy a new lawn mower. :duh:

And yes, I drove all the way back home and got my detector, then drove all the way back to the park. I had my heart set on detecting at that park, even if I got a late start!

Full Metal Digger
06-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Maybe this will make you feel better:

Earlier this year I drove an hour away to a park I had hunted a few times before. When I got there I opened my trunk and... no metal detector!

That's when it hit me.

I had taken my metal detector out of my car trunk the previous evening when I had gone to Lowe's to buy a new lawn mower. :duh:

And yes, I drove all the way back home and got my detector, then drove all the way back to the park. I had my heart set on detecting at that park, even if I got a late start!

Hey Tony, I never heard this story before. Probably a good thing. I would just make fun of you! :bananadance:

giant056
06-16-2014, 05:04 PM
I always have an empty battery pack for alkalines and one that's usually fully charged that I keep in my truck at all times.

Moresound
06-16-2014, 11:33 PM
That's a great idea Don . As there always seems to be somewhere nearby to pick up batteries . Also if you forget about your empty battery pack being in the glove box there won't be battery leakage .

Moresound ,
Like Coinnut and yourself I forgot my Explorer battery pack also . Man , I was bummed ! Now , I too carry an extra everything . I bought one of those RNB Lithium - Ion rechargeable battery kits when they first came out and I am extremely happy with it . I don't have a lot of time to detect and my opportunities seem to pop up at a moments notice .Sometimes a week may go by without a hunt .
I've been getting a couple of short hunts in here and there the last few months without recharging and the charge level still is up to the top on the battery check .I have never let it run all the way empty , I just "top it off" at my convenience .Money well spent in my opinion .

Thats is the one ... The RNB.
Are those on sale only online?

Cheap Thrills
06-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Thats is the one ... The RNB.
Are those on sale only online?

As far as I know yes .

Moresound
06-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Am off to the webs in search of.