PDA

View Full Version : I thought I was Daddy Digger for one SWEET moment

wisconsin digger
06-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Daddy Digger had a phenomenal hunt a couple weeks back where Silver Quarters (and Halves) were popping out of the ground like clad coins. I was not that fortunate but I did have a shining (pun intended) moment today. Spent some time with the family at a Milwaukee Brewers game today and got home in time to do some detecting. Had no real plans so I went to a spot I thought would have no people in it for a nice quiet evening hunt. I was correct on having the Park to my self but the pickings were slim to none. Tried several different spots with only a few clad to show for it. I decided to hunt a small patch of grass off the corner of the old building at the park. I swear I did not move my coil a foot when I got an iffy signal that had a nice high pitch at times. As I dialed in the signal it seemed to fade but it was good enough to did. I thought I may have a clad quarter and inch or two down so I was not to careful with the blade. I literally side cut in the ground and to my shock I saw some silver literally pop out of the hole. Even sweeter it was an SLQ and it had a date (my first date 1928). I thought for sure I would of hacked the heck out of the coin but I only just slightly nicked it. Scratching around with my probe I got a hit on the dirt that was out and found a Buffalo (1925) that must of been laying right on the SLQ. I checked the hole with the probe and got another signal, a flick with the knife and more silver, a Washington, another check and another signal one more Washington. Checked again and this time it was a nail with one more check producing another nail. I'm guessing between the Buffalo and the two nails hid this spill for 60+ years. One sweet pocket spill made up for a slow week of detecting. Included the pocket spill and a few additional coins from this hunt and some keepers from the week. Wow nice end to Fathers Day. Tomorrow's my Bday so I'll take this as an early present . Keep digging. Wisconsin Digger

Skamaniac
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Nice pocket spill you found! Congrats.

giant056
06-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Fantastic bunch of silvers, buff etc. :thumbsup02: I'm way overdue for an SLQ :grin:

Digger Don
06-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Sounds like you had a great Fathers Day. Excellent pocket spill with all that silver.
Congrats & Happy Birthday

driftwood1963
06-16-2014, 01:53 AM
:wow:Looks like a great day in the dirt!

Tony Two-Cent
06-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Wow, that was an incredible pocket spill! :loveit:

Very sweet that one of the quarters was a Standing Liberty with a date! :thumbsup02:

I bet you're right about the nail and the nickel masking the spill. Lucky for you!

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
06-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Happy Birthday WisDig! That is an AWESOME coin spill. Seems like a nickel + silver always gives a crazy signal. I have never found a SLQ so you are ahead of me. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

coinnut
06-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Very nice pocket spill :drool: The Standing Liberty quarter is a beautiful coin to find! Even nicer when it is part of a silver pocket spill! One signal can significantly improve one's day. :lol:

wisconsin digger
06-16-2014, 03:52 PM
I kid you not, after the 2nd silver quarter your video popped into my head. I think I checked that hole 3 mores times before I went home for the day. Thx for the inspiration on triple plus checking holes. WD

Timewarpdigger
06-16-2014, 06:52 PM
That is what one would call a great day of digging. Congrats!!! Safe & HH

aloldstuff
06-17-2014, 04:26 PM
WTG, what a great spill. :congrats:on getting your 1st SLQ with a date to boot.

Nesdore
06-17-2014, 09:51 PM
A Standing Liberty is the coin I want to find more than any :envious: Awesome Hunt

don in ny
06-18-2014, 05:56 AM
Nothing like a pocket dump to put a smile on your face. I think you're right, the nails probably masked the signal to many detectorists for a long time. I hit a new spot a few weeks ago and first time there I hit a pocket dump with 2 silver Washingtons, a Merc and 3 buffalos in the same hole. Congratulations and a nice SLQ.

Robbie
06-18-2014, 02:56 PM
I have yet to find a silver coin this year.I need to find a new spot.WTG on finding a silver spill.