PDA

View Full Version : Did a little coinshooting today

coinnut
06-07-2010, 08:45 PM
You ever drive by a spot and wonder if it's been hit. Well I do this once a week as I pass the same spot over and over lol I never get out and detect it though :confused: Well I was driving by and I started to think I wonder if anyone ever detects that place? rofl And then it hit me. The spot had changed. It now had a bulldozer and a square cut into the ground of about 30x20. Big piles all around it. It looks like they went down about a foot or a bit more. So after I was done with what I was doing, I hurried home and threw the E Trac into the truck lol I was there in no time flat. Fired her up and first hit was an 1865 2 cent piece. :cheesysmile: I was happy :yes: Next hit was a musket ball. Not many hits after, but I did get my usual corroded copper. I think it's a late 1840 or 50's large cent. Thought I had my first gold ring , but it was plated :mad: 1 Wheat , a bunch of clad and a Silver Roosevelt. Nice piec of jewelry. I think they slid it on a scarf or something. I figure late Victorian or early 1900's period. Even had a cop stop by and yell I better fill my holes. I said I will and he said he was bustin' my chops. He was pointing at the mess the bulldozer had made. So I guess it pays to hit them dug out sites. That Large Cent was about 14 down originally. I dug about 2 for it lol

z118
06-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Great digs! I've got to pay more attention for opportunities like that. My problem is I'm a creature of habit and have a heck of a time getting myself out of my usual spots. Nice work!

xzlr8n
06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Some great old stuf you dug up, I really like finding those 2-centers. Was this public property or private?? I would have been there long before you dicided to hit it if it was public thumbsup01. Congrats thumbsup01

coinnut
06-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Some great old stuf you dug up, I really like finding those 2-centers. Was this public property or private?? I would have been there long before you dicided to hit it if it was public thumbsup01. Congrats thumbsup01

No it was public property and hit many times before, at least that's what everyone who walked by told me lol I guess they didn't get there fast enough this time. :teasing: lol It's a small park and hit to death, but every hit place comes alive after a dozer gets it ;)

angellionel
06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Sweet assortment of finds, George! I would have been at that place like a tick to a deer. lol Way to keep your eyes open to the opportunity. thumbsup01

coinnut
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Sweet assortment of finds, George! I would have been at that place like a tick to a deer. lol Way to keep your eyes open to the opportunity. thumbsup01

Yep, you snooze you lose lol Speaking of snoozing, this little hat was from today's hunt along side today's only Wheatie (for size). I thought it was the cap that snaps on to an axle for a kids toy. Was caked full of dirt, and looked like junk. Too bad it's plated and not silver. But at least I got me a summer hat lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
nice opportunity for you G. i can relate to that opportunity.cool finds.why just that one area? what are they doing to that spot? too bad they didn't do a major push like at my park.think of the stuff that's still trapped there frozen in time :crying02:
good job dude! 23 huh?
Dan we better shift gears man :blackeye:

Cheap Thrills
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
YEAH !! Great going !! That's the spirit George , jump right on those opportunities when they pop up !! <: :happydance01: :peace: :clapping:
Awesome finds !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

angellionel
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Yep, you snooze you lose lol Speaking of snoozing, this little hat was from today's hunt along side today's only Wheatie (for size). I thought it was the cap that snaps on to an axle for a kids toy. Was caked full of dirt, and looked like junk. Too bad it's plated and not silver. But at least I got me a summer hat lol

That's actually a very cool find! It's so tiny. :huh: You may need to hit that place again. :yes:

Ill Digger
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
2 center ?!!... :drool:...Large cent?!!... :drool:...silver!??....Sweet!!
Thats awesome for a 20x30 area!!
Were you climbing the piles like a billy goat too ?...I would've been!! lol
If I was there this is what you would've seen over your shoulder after finding those lol
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/other%20stuff/IMG_0337.jpg
Congrats :grin:

coinnut
06-08-2010, 10:36 AM
2 center ?!!... :drool:...Large cent?!!... :drool:...silver!??....Sweet!!
Thats awesome for a 20x30 area!!
Were you climbing the piles like a billy goat too ?...I would've been!! lol
If I was there this is what you would've seen over your shoulder after finding those lol

Congrats :grin:

Yea, when the cop was kidding me about burying my holes, I thought of firing up that puppy and leveling the whole place. lol I did climb the hills like a little kid though :yes:

John S
06-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes a bulldozer can do a lot of work for you and can uncover some good stuff. Go back and see what you can find . Good good job.

randy
06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Sweet digs. thumbsup01 Go tell 'em to dig out the rest of the place.

tanacat
06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
:clapping: Yay! Those are some very cool items you found there- the scarf slip thingy looks sooooo old :shocked04:stretcher: so I take it the park has been around a while :huh: Maybe clearing to make a picnic shelter, sounds like dimensions for one. Perhaps there are more in the making :drool:

They're getting ready to build a shelter in park behind my house, but I know it was just a cow field before park was established in 1999... I'm gonna keep an eye out on some bulldozed spots! Congrats on 23 coppers! :yes:

Sweet digs. thumbsup01 Go tell 'em to dig out the rest of the place.

rofl good one