PDA

View Full Version : Garrett at pro disaster!

ODA 226
06-17-2014, 06:15 AM
The weather here in Bavaria had warmed up the water enough to do some water hunting so I took my AT Pro down to a local swimming hole to do some water detecting. The first day, I found a couple of Euros and the same the second day.

At the end of the second day, I got out of the water and detecting back to where my Jeep was parked and found a couple more Euros along the way. My machine performed flawlessly.

The third day, I got my AT Pro out and saw that my LED screen was turned on. I couldn't turn it off, so I changed the batteries. It turned on with one beep and I noticed that EVERYTHING on the LED screen was turned on. Again, I couldn't turn it off. That's when I saw WATER on the inside of the LED screen! I was SO angry you can't imagine it!

I never was never more than chest deep and the LED unit was never deeper than 12 inches. I DOUBLE CHECKED all connections on both days, plus it worked just fine after I got out of the water on the second day!

I called Garrett as my AT Pro is only 10 months old and they told me to send it to an authorized repairer in Germany, which I did. I have NO IDEA how this could have happened as my unit was never more than 12 inches underwater!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Skamaniac
06-17-2014, 02:38 PM
It hasn't happened to me yet, but I bought it because it's supposedly waterproof. Thanks for the heads up and keep us posted as to what Garrett says about where the failure was. Meanwhile, I'll be careful around water.

Full Metal Digger
06-17-2014, 04:04 PM
The hardest part of sending off your detector is you can't detect with it while its gone! Do you have a back-up machine?

ODA 226
06-18-2014, 02:11 AM
DD: My friend just bought an XP Deus, so he's letting me use his ACE 350 until I can get my AT Pro back but I am REALLY PO'd about this! The main reason I bought the AT Pro was because it's supposed to be waterproof to 10 feet deep! I was only in ankle to chest deep water!

Power Guy
06-27-2014, 09:38 PM
I have used my AT Pro mainly on the beaches of Florida. Been it the water many times. (detector under water) Never had an issue. ( I also have the "blue" water head phones and have been totally under water with them) The Garrett folks are very easy to work with and i am sure they will make it right.

ODA 226
06-28-2014, 12:33 PM
I have used my AT Pro mainly on the beaches of Florida. Been it the water many times. (detector under water) Never had an issue. ( I also have the "blue" water head phones and have been totally under water with them) The Garrett folks are very easy to work with and i am sure they will make it right.

I was using my blue waterproof headphones also. It cost me $63.50 to send it to Texas from Germany, so I hope I can get it back before 03 August. I already planned a metal detecting trip to the Croatian coast from 04 to 23 August! :shocked05:

giant056
06-28-2014, 03:04 PM
I know a guy that's had to send his in twice cause it got wet on the inside, he started using his Beach Hunter I.D. again, I told him he's lucky that he kept the BHID or he'd be out of luck for the water hunting. I have backup detectors for both land and water myself.

ODA 226
07-05-2014, 03:18 AM
Great news! Garrett repaired my AT Pro IN ONE DAY! They received it on the first of July and shipped it out on the second! I should get it back NLT Friday this week!

I went ahead and purchased a Garrett Sea-Hunter II and a 720i Stealth Scoop for this MD trip to Croatia! Can't wait!

Skamaniac
07-06-2014, 06:07 PM
That's great! And good luck in Croatia! That should be a fun trip.

ODA 226
07-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Holy 7.9 Ounce Baby Jesus! I just got my AT Pro back from Garrett YESTERDAY 08 July with a brand-new sending unit! They even threw in new mounting hardware for my coils and an AT Pro Camo baseball hat! You just can't beat customer service like that! :thumbsup02:

SHIMMER77502
07-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Garrett's customer service is second to none! I am VERY rough on my AT Pro (actually all my MD equipment) so it's had to go back in for servicing 3 times. Each time it comes back with not only the repairs but a little extra something-something thrown in. Great folks at Garrett.

leslie(nova scotia)
09-07-2014, 05:03 AM
Just pass this on...my Pro has been back to the factory 4 times...with what I spent on repairs i think I could have purchased another machine of some sort.

Long live my Freedom 3 Plus machines....Garrett has certainly gone down hill in the 40 some odd years i have swung them!

Big Boys Hobbies
10-01-2014, 08:49 AM
Great news! Garrett repaired my AT Pro IN ONE DAY! They received it on the first of July and shipped it out on the second! I should get it back NLT Friday this week!

I went ahead and purchased a Garrett Sea-Hunter II and a 720i Stealth Scoop for this MD trip to Croatia! Can't wait!

Garrett has amazing CS! Congrats!

msheron
10-10-2014, 07:23 PM
So what did Garrett say happened?

ODA 226
10-19-2014, 04:00 AM
So what did Garrett say happened?

They said that the O-Rings might have deteriorated, allowing water to enter. I checked them on all of my coils and they look fine. I've been in the water multiple times since I got my AT Pro back and haven't had any problems.