PDA

View Full Version : Old and Onyx Silver Earring!

Isaac
06-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Today I got permission to metal detect a nice corner lot. The owner says the house is from 1916. I was only able to hunt for 45 minutes today, so I still have a whole lot more of the property to cover! The biggest challenge for me is the roots. There are just so many of them, and they are thick! I had to skip some nice signals because I couldn't get the darn Lesche in the ground! :lol:

My last target I get a 74-75 signal, I dig the hole and put the Pro Pointer in the hole and it goes off... I dig one more scoop of dry crumbly dirt from the ground and I see a silver rim on the tip of the Lesche with a big black stone. At first I had no idea what it was until I wiped off the back with some water. I still didn't know exactly what it was but I knew it was some type of old jewelry. It has a beautiful onyx (I think) stone and it is very ornate! I love the design. :yes: Later, I found out it was an old clip on earring that might have been smooshed before it sunk into the ground!

http://i.imgur.com/pJF5JJG.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/1skzdv.jpg

G L a n d H H !

coinnut
06-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Congrats on the silver earring. I think they are called screw back earrings. Nice outer design on it.

Skamaniac
06-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Wow, that's a beaut! Maybe you'll find the mate on your next hunt there.

Nesdore
06-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Thats a nice find :wow::congrats:

driftwood1963
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
In the picture the stone has a blue tint to it......is that from the lighting?
If you hold a bright light to it does it have a translucency to it?

Very cool dig!

Isaac
06-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Congrats on the silver earring. I think they are called screw back earrings. Nice outer design on it.

Thank you!

Wow, that's a beaut! Maybe you'll find the mate on your next hunt there.

Thanks! I hope so, I've never found a set of matching of earrings before!

Thats a nice find :wow::congrats:

Thanks!!!

In the picture the stone has a blue tint to it......is that from the lighting?
If you hold a bright light to it does it have a translucency to it?

Very cool dig!

Thank you! I think it's from the lighting, but I'll check later! :yes:

del
06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
its a very cool jewelry find Isaac :thumbsup02:

I think them "screw-back" type earrings are pre 1940's and maybe as early as 1890's ?? thats just a guess so please don't flog me :bop: if i'm wrong ;)

Tony Two-Cent
06-20-2014, 12:16 PM
That's a beautiful old earring! I bet it wasn't cheap back in the day. What an exciting find!

:congrats:

Digger Don
06-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Thats a pretty cool find. I hope you find the other one when you go back. Good Luck

Isaac
06-20-2014, 09:52 PM
its a very cool jewelry find Isaac :thumbsup02:

I think them "screw-back" type earrings are pre 1940's and maybe as early as 1890's ?? thats just a guess so please don't flog me :bop: if i'm wrong ;)

Thank you Dan! I think you nailed it!!! ;)

That's a beautiful old earring! I bet it wasn't cheap back in the day. What an exciting find!

:congrats:

Thanks Tony! I'm sure they were upset they lost it.

Thats a pretty cool find. I hope you find the other one when you go back. Good Luck

Thank you! :) I hope so too, it would be pretty neat to find the matching pair!

giant056
06-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Very cool old earring :cool: :congrats:

Timewarpdigger
06-21-2014, 07:32 PM
That earring is really nice. Awesome. Maybe you'll get lucky and find the other. Safe & HH