PDA

View Full Version : Cazador shipwreck silver 8 Reales and Electrolysis

Mayadigger
06-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Ave!

Here is another example of an silver 8 Reales encrusted shipwreck coin sent to us for restoration. In this case we used electrolysis to remove the encrustations.

I have a some-what fancy rig with an adjustable power supply and a pair of carbon graphite bars as anodes, as seen in the photos below. We use NRC Premium Electrolysis Mix (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=1007) for the solution.

The coin was 'zapped' for two hours at just one volt, removed and allowed to soak/rest in DW for 8 hours. This 'rest' time is important as during electrolysis the item's electrons get all excited and need to 'cool off'. (Oh yeah, that's scientific, isn't it?) After the eight-hour DW soak, I used a soft-bristle brass brush in a battery-powered Dremel tool under running water to gently remove the built up encrustations. At that point it was quite shiny. But, as the customer wanted it to have an aged appearance, we then soaked the coin in JAX Silver Blackener (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=394)until it was, well, black (about 10 minutes, turning occasionally). Patted dry with a paper towel and baked it the oven for one hour at 200 degrees. Allowed to cool, then used a thick paste of baking soda on a cotton towel to remove the blackener from the surface highlights, leaving the open fields dark.

Best regards,

Kevin

Thiltzy
06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Super job Kevin. Wish I had a set up like that.

kpmoose
06-22-2014, 08:38 PM
WOW. Impressive job. :notworthy:

Isaac
06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Those came out beautifully, excellent work! :thumbsup01:

The Rebel
06-23-2014, 08:40 AM
WTG Kevin that came out awesome!

milco
06-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Now that is impressive!

BTV Digger
08-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Really nice job. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

John

Beartoe
08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Excellent Job! :thumbsup02:

I have been meaning to make me an electrolysis system. You have given me the idea that I should actually make one and not just think about it. Thanks for sharing.

Trooper Bri
10-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Thanks for posting Kevin! Lots of good info. :clapping:

I actually just started poking around on YouTube for DIY electolysis rigs to monkey with some of the iron relics I've dug up. That's a real nice setup, and makes me regret even more selling my BK Precision variable supply a few years ago.