PDA

View Full Version : Limited Time, Some Great Finds, Key Date Barber, Seated

Ill Digger
06-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Well it's been a while since I've made a post. Life's been pretty hectic. Shoot, it's been a while since I've even been out detecting.:crying01:
We went out last weekend and hunted a over looked nearby park with little to show for it. While we were there a local told us about a old train depot near by. We then proceeded to obtain permission to hunt his 1890's home!:yahoo: I got seven wheaties and a '46 Rosie there. The owner then told us about his two rental properties.... both of which are even older! :drool: He said to meet him back there this Sunday. So we did. Boy o' boy am I glad we did! It stared off pretty slow. In the first couple of hours I got 2 wheaties 1919 & 1920. But before the day ended I had a 45 minute window that was pretty dang exciting!! :yes: First good find was a 1913s Barber dime! Then about 20 minute later I got a sweet, perfect, beautiful 12-45, 13-46 at 3 or 4 inches right here.

Look at the way the sidewalk is buckling from this old tree.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_125052_zpswxykncaf.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_125052_zpswxykncaf.jpg.html)

After digging the hole next to these huge roots this is what I found. Perfectly on edge.
( I put it back for the photo after realizing what it was)
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_125122_zpsegrjxue0.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_125122_zpsegrjxue0.jpg.html)

A 1891o Seated dime!! :happydance02:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_125136_zpsacgxsp1g.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_125136_zpsacgxsp1g.jpg.html)

After finding the Seated dime next to that tree I walked to the tree behind that one in the photo and found a 1906 Canadian penny!! Sweet!

Here's the keepers.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_132516_zpsx7vt15fw.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140622_132516_zpsx7vt15fw.jpg.html)

A great few hours of detecting! Can't wait to hunt his other property.......:drool:

Thanks for lookin' & HH everyone! :peace:

So do we count the old Canadian pennies as LCs or not? :popcorn:

Cheap Thrills
06-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Nice going , those are some sweet finds .You made up for some lost time there .:clapping::thumbsup02:

giant056
06-24-2014, 01:56 AM
Awesome finds you got there for sure :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
06-24-2014, 05:20 AM
WTG on the Seated and Barber. Isn't it funny how by just talking to someone can lead to new hunting sites.

Great to see you finally getting out and scoring some great coins.

Full Metal Digger
06-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Those are some great finds Timmay! That seated looks like an early drop too. That's a great picture of the tree and buckled sidewalk! Who would have thought there would be an old coin right there in that little triangle of grass! Best wishes on that other property. Dave.

Digger Don
06-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Great job Tim. Very nice seated. Got to love those old towns. They seem to be rich in History & old coins.
I think We were up in your neck of the woods this weekend. Maybe one of these days we'll run into each other,
Don

Tony Two-Cent
06-24-2014, 08:31 AM
I've been waiting for this post! You texted a photo of your finds to me, but I had trouble making it out on my cheap phone. I could tell you found a seated dime but I couldn't see the date.

Maybe you aren't able to get out very often, Tim, but you always make great use of your time! :yes:

That 1913-S Barber Dime is a great find! Only 510,000 minted! :yahoo:

The seated dime is awesome too, 1891-O is not very common. And to top it off you got a 1906 Canadian large cent! :happydance01:

Congrats on the great hunt, buddy! :perfect10:

del
06-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Wow Tim you hit some quality coinage with that hunt , all look to be in some great shape too. :notworthy:

the 1906 is a "large penny" ;)

wisconsin digger
06-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Sweet fines. It pays to go knocking. Nice job on the permissions. Wisconsin Digger

Lodge Scent
06-24-2014, 04:24 PM
That's awesome! Love the copper!

Skamaniac
06-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks for posting this! Boy, what a great couple of finds. Good luck on your next hunt.

Nesdore
06-24-2014, 10:36 PM
WOW!!! Awesome seated dime and the barber is in amazing condition :congrats:

Timewarpdigger
06-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Awesome finds and congrats. A lot of guys would say the heck with trying to dig that. Congrats.

Ill Digger
06-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Nice going , those are some sweet finds .You made up for some lost time there .:clapping::thumbsup02:Thank Sheik! :poke: :lol: It sure felt good to get out and get dirty! :yes: :lol:

Awesome finds you got there for sure :thumbsup02:Thanks Giant!

WTG on the Seated and Barber. Isn't it funny how by just talking to someone can lead to new hunting sites.

Great to see you finally getting out and scoring some great coins.Thanks Al! Yeah, your right. Usually people are just curious to see whats in the ground and are willing help you find some other places to hunt.... not always... but. :lol:

Those are some great finds Timmay! That seated looks like an early drop too. That's a great picture of the tree and buckled sidewalk! Who would have thought there would be an old coin right there in that little triangle of grass! Best wishes on that other property. Dave. Thanks Dave! You know now that you say that.... it came from a combination of my two favorite places to look for old coins. 1. Along the edges of old sidewalks and #2 Around BIG'ol trees! ;)

Great job Tim. Very nice seated. Got to love those old towns. They seem to be rich in History & old coins.
I think We were up in your neck of the woods this weekend. Maybe one of these days we'll run into each other,
DonThanks Don! Yep, those old towns hold some nice old houses. Yeah we'll have to set something up sometime.:thumbsup01:

Ill Digger
06-25-2014, 10:16 PM
I've been waiting for this post! You texted a photo of your finds to me, but I had trouble making it out on my cheap phone. I could tell you found a seated dime but I couldn't see the date.

Maybe you aren't able to get out very often, Tim, but you always make great use of your time! :yes:

That 1913-S Barber Dime is a great find! Only 510,000 minted! :yahoo:

The seated dime is awesome too, 1891-O is not very common. And to top it off you got a 1906 Canadian large cent! :happydance01:

Congrats on the great hunt, buddy! :perfect10:Thanks Tony! I know most people don't like mass-texts but I didn't want to stop for too long to text everyone individually. :lol: Thanks for the response. It gave me a little push to make sure I got it posted.

Wow Tim you hit some quality coinage with that hunt , all look to be in some great shape too. :notworthy:

the 1906 is a "large penny" ;)Thanks Dan! Yeah the seated is in pretty good shape !:yes: I'm defiantly happy with it. I'd be happy if it wasn't!:lol:
Ok. I'm just gonna count it as one. I might not get a U.S. one this year. :dontknow: :lol:

Sweet fines. It pays to go knocking. Nice job on the permissions. Wisconsin DiggerThanks WD! It sure does! ;)

That's awesome! Love the copper! Thanks! It's My third King Edward coin. Still to find a KE silver coin though.:daydream:

Ill Digger
06-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks for posting this! Boy, what a great couple of finds. Good luck on your next hunt.Thanks Skamaniac! Yeah, sometimes it only take a couple of real nice keepers to make for a really great day! Gotta love it! :smitten:

WOW!!! Awesome seated dime and the barber is in amazing condition :congrats:Thanks Nesdore! Too bad the Barber isn't as nice as the Seated. It would be worth quite a bit more. Not that it's for sale anyways. :lol:

Awesome finds and congrats. A lot of guys would say the heck with trying to dig that. Congrats. Thanks
Timewarpdigger! I've be burned on digs like this before, but i've had enough really nice finds alone edges of old sidewalks and the bases of old tree that I'm digging that signal every time! :thumbsup01:

Bell-Two
06-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Timmy me lad you get an official done good. Count the Canadian as a Large Cent the Canucks do! Nice old silver with good dates and mint marks I just love the color the old silver gets after it's century long dirt nap.

coinnut
06-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Beautiful coins :smitten: Love the Seated and the Canadian Large cent!!

zrickkid
07-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Nice finds Tim. Did the seated that was on edge give a solid signal or was it iffy? Nice job on the large cent as well.