PDA

View Full Version : Looking for guidance in CT

Twobit
06-24-2014, 10:05 PM
I've been going out on short hunts but it seems like someone has been there before me wherever I go. I've had some luck finding historical sites and digging up artifacts to prove it (old blacksmithed pulley, nails and hinges from a long lost barn, etc...) but haven't found coins older than mid 20th century. I'm looking for hunting help! I'm a teacher so the summer is more open for me. Anyone in the area who is available this summer please let me know.

Lou

giant056
06-25-2014, 03:22 AM
There's not many places that detectorist's haven't detected these days but you can't find everything. Chances are any place that does have the artifacts that you're talking about there's a good chance those iron pieces might be hiding stuff too, it's patience and persistence that will pay off, at least that's what I've found. Pretty much all the places that I hunt have been hunted many times over but every now and then I'll find something good that someone else has missed.

lee
06-25-2014, 05:04 AM
morning lou
yes it is hard to find places that have not been hit but me and my mates do alright, so if you ever fancy going out to a few of our spots send me a message and we can get out there.
im in wethersfield so im just down the road from you.
im off friday this week.

MangoAve
06-25-2014, 07:01 AM
I may not be one of the experts on here but I'm willing to get out. Three weeks has been a long time for me no detecting. I work M-F until 330, but I think I shall start burning vacation days.I don't want to waste the summer. Weekends still always be best, and I think the gf is stopping going/dragging me to bday/grad/summer parties during the weekends. lol. But to be out early in the am, there has to be some planning. Like a few days ahead...

The Rebel
06-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Hey Lou as others have said most of us are just mopping up finds that others have missed. The good thing is technology has improved in MD's so there is a chance that someone missed a good target and your new machine will find it.

Also, weather has a LOT to play with finds. Every winter the frost heaves up some of the deeper targets.

We all look for that golden virgin site and we do find them but rarely. My best advise when hunting cellar holes is to get into the prickers, shrubs... as other might have not wanted to get in there and there is a good chance a nice target is waiting for you.

Hope this helps!

HH,
Roger

Twobit
06-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Looks like I shouldn't give up on those spots quite yet. Still, I have yet to explore a cellar hole or any seriously old sites. I'm looking to get permission to explore an old farm nearby...none have good experiences with old farms?

MangoAve
06-26-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm looking to get permission to explore an old farm nearby...none have good experiences with old farms?

Lol. Farms seem to be quite well for hunting (as long as it's an older farm). You do realize that farming was the way of life back from 1500-mid 1800. The industrial revolution changed things a bit. Before combustion engines, fields were plowed by hand (oxen). Rock walls built by hand. So farm fields can prove 'profitable' in terms of dirt fishing. A farm field is where I got some musket balls and some old buttons.

del
06-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Lou , I'd be happy to show you some basic pointers about cellar hunting or old field detecting for relics.

Dan

Twobit
06-27-2014, 08:23 AM
The responses have been great. Have you all done a CT meet-up recently? Considering the number of people we have in CT it seems like we should try out one big meeting. If I had a location that wouldn't prove embarrassing if I brought people I'd suggest a date and time right now. Anyone else have a spot to hunt and an idea of a time they can toss out there?

MangoAve
06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
There was something recent where 3 people from CT got together, and about two months ago there was a group of 4 that got out. I have only been out 1v1 and never seen a posting on here for more than 4 people from forum (not including dirt fishing america). I tried to organize 4 once, but no one could make it. There are ten people that I can think of here on this forum from CT. The YTC has...30? Ten people we would need a large place, or multiple places. A 1/3 acre lot would be done in about 15 min with 10 people, assuming everyone can make it. A place I know of that's big, is impossible to detect right now until it gets mowed by the town. I have yet to get permission on four local places, 1850, 1746, 1800, and 1808.

Trooper Bri
06-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Do you have any friends who are hunters Lou? They often get access to hunt private lands, and may be able to get you access to the land as well for some swinging. A friend of mine has that situation, and after hearing me prattle on about detecting, mentioned seeing an old stone foundation on his hikes out to his territory. Now we're trying to organize a day all of us can go up there and poke around.

And just the past couple days another friend who's a member of a fish & game club (he got a detector as a gift last year, never used it, and has now caught the bug I got from seeing his detector), finally questioned some old stone walls on the club property after hearing my adventures last weekend. He did some poking around on the web about an old dirt road that passes through the club as well, and come to find out it may be the edge of a large agricultural/farming historic district in town dating back to the 1600's.
He printed out a few things at work today, and we're going to do our best to see if we can find any old maps that might show what might have been on that dirt road that passes through the property. At the very least it warrants a walk out there deeper in the woods to see what there is to see. Swinging the detector along that old dirt road is probably a good idea while we're out there.

I'm just getting started as well, and not ready to knock on doors yet. Want to hone my skills a little better before digging old lawns (can't throw a rock without hitting an 1800's or 1700's home in town here) for old coins. That access for the woods hunts is pure luck so far, I still need to learn how to find my own places to run the coil over. Wish I had a summer to poke around, wanna swap jobs? :cheesysmile:

Twobit
06-30-2014, 10:06 AM
YES I want to swap jobs! I'm looking for a career change like you wouldn't believe the summers aren't worth the stress, disrespect, and public vilification by the media, politicians, and parents.

but, on another note, I love the idea of talking to hunting buddies. They just may have some connections for me. I'm thinking I just might log on to Facebook and actually use it for once.

the farm I'm hing to get permission for has been a family farm since the very early 1700's and should be interesting. It's never been developed. I'm asking if I can bring friends.

kpmoose
06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Welcome Twobit. Definitely a bunch of guys on here from CT. Group hunt would be cool. :thumbsup01: Would love to meet & hunt with more CT/MA/RI guys/gals.

MIKE54
06-30-2014, 07:56 PM
As would I. Haven't had much time for detecting in the last month but am ready to go now. Would love to have some hunting company so just send me a message on this site if anyone wants to go out!

MangoAve
07-01-2014, 06:53 AM
So someone take the reigns and put forth ideas.

As would I. Haven't had much time for detecting in the last month but am ready to go now. Would love to have some hunting company so just send me a message on this site if anyone wants to go out!

You haven't been on the forum much lately either.

Trooper Bri
07-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Researched the 2 leads my friend mentioned for the F&G property (my 1'st research), and both a bust. The historic areas aren't close enough, but were interesting to read up on. The stone walls and fields are old, and worth exploring regardless.

I'd be interested in getting out detecting with more CT detectors for sure. Dan and Drew are good people, looking forward to further meets. I've been on a CT fishing site for years and have organized plenty of outings (mostly ice fishing). I can easily see where having 10 people would be tough without a fair chunk of land/fields.
I'm off for 4 days after tomorrow. With the weather my plans for Friday are getting porked, supposed to finally eyeball a potential site on private property, but Saturday and Sunday look great as alternates. If it's a total fail, plan on revisiting the carnival grounds this weekend if anyone is interested. A few people can have fun for hours easily.

Twobit
07-02-2014, 11:02 AM
If I manage to squeeze information out of my wife about potential plans for the holiday this weekend I'd love to go out. I got my first silver coin yesterday in a school yard I had high hopes for. Also a spoon (haven't checked if it's silver but it's old) and some wheaties. Pushing aside that dirt and seeing the silver gleam for the first time is an awesome feeling!

del
07-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Saturday looks like the day to get out for some detecting .:yes:

kpmoose
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm out for this weekend- be at Cape Cod with the family for the weekend. Hope to get out for some beach detecting. :crossfingers: Good luck to everyone who is able to get out. Looking forward to some reports.

Twobit
07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Agreed, it looks like Saturday will be the day to go. I'm really looking forward to a chance to hunt in a new spot and learn a bit on the way. A friend told me that he hikes the blue trail out near the Maromas section of Middletown and finds tons of old foundations and cellar holes. Anyone ever go out that way?

MangoAve
07-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Nope, can't say I have been there. But Lol, I see there is a road there called Road A. They put a lot of effort into naming that one. This was not a town I pulled an old map for so I didn't know what was down there.

Edit: I did pulll a map now and wow. They had an Insane Asylum in that general area.

kpmoose
07-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Nope, can't say I have been there. But Lol, I see there is a road there called Road A. They put a lot of effort into naming that one. This was not a town I pulled an old map for so I didn't know what was down there.

Edit: I did pulll a map now and wow. They had an Insane Asylum in that general area.

Not had, it's still there. Now called Connecticut Valley Hospital. Used to be called the Connecticut General Hospital for the Insane. I've had the blue trail system in Middletown on my "to explore" list for a while now. Guess I'll have to make it a priority now. :grin:

Trooper Bri
07-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Can only imagine some of the crazy stuff you'll dig up there.

Twobit
07-04-2014, 09:48 PM
The buddy who gave me the heads up has personally been to the sites with cellar holes and old foundations a number of times with his son. He can lead me right to the place. I just would need to pin him down on a trip. He says he usually hikes there in the Fall. He's was a West Hartford detective but now he's in IA in Middletown. He's done some metal detecting too. Maybe I can convince him to show me.

MangoAve
07-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Well Kev, I never been there so I didn't know it still existed. I think last time I was in Middletown was a traffic ticket on rt 9 many years ago (and yes it was dropped).

Bri, I was wondering the same thing, however it's questionable cuz the patients aren't allowed to have much. But it's been around 150+ years and things were different back then so... your guess is as good as mine. Granted with MDing no one knows what they will find until they dig it.

Lou, at least u know it's OK to be hunted. I had no idea Middletown was so urbanized in 1868 compared to the rest of CT. It's one of the few towns where names were already given to streets. But many many houses. At least u have a person to show u where it is... well kev knows too.

Twobit
07-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Apparently Middletown was an important port town way back. I'd imagine there would be some interesting stuff to find closer to the river. Also, there is a "ghost town" that purportedly was abandoned. I think it would make for a nice group effort to pick that whole area apart. It's too big for one person to have any sort of chance anyway.

MangoAve
07-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Lou, the first three towns were along the CT. Springfield, Hartford, and Windsor. Windsor was first English settlement in the state. The majority of ferries were up north of Hartford. There were five I am aware of. Middletown came later, but no doubt there is still some interesting stuff yet to be found there. None of this comment is snobbish, just putting forth info.

But the ghost town? I know of four "ghost towns" to check, two guaranteed need permission as they are owned by mature preserve and some other company. One is out toward Kent/New Milford. One is near Windham, one near Putnam, and other near Glastonbury. More planning needs to be put forth before going to detect those places. So, your place.... I thought you said u only had ideas that were embarrassing? Sounds like u have a place in mind for group place. Not trying to push u or anything. Lol

Twobit
07-06-2014, 01:30 AM
I'll do my best to get some solid information, maybe make a reconnaissance trip. I hope I can deliver. I seriously want to go out with some of the crew here and learn a thing or two.

MangoAve
07-06-2014, 09:16 AM
If u want to try this week for a short hunt, pm me what your schedule looks for when u are free. I wanted to get out this Sat morning but I spent the time working on the house. I have two places in mind. Both public but not parks. Maybe I can get permission on a few other places. I have a ton of other places to try for that.

Twobit
07-08-2014, 05:42 PM
well, it's insane that i'm on vacation and yet still struggle to figure out when i'lll be free. That's what having two young children will do too ya. I should have started this child thing a long time ago. Anyway, I did the recon on Maromas and it looks good. I found two cellar holes and a small stone culvert over a tiny stream...it looked to be wide enough for a cart or carriage. I didnt even get to explore the area further on where my friend claims there are more foundations. The one large one I found is very prominent (right off a blue trail) and must have been hit again but I keep seeing guys on here pulling up loads of stuff from previously pounded sites. My buddy claims that some of the other holes are much harder to find because of overgrowth and are less likely to have been tampered with. Who knows?
I was wondering if anyone would like to head down there soon. I will be fre for short hunts tomorrow after noon, Thursday from 9:30 til 3ish and saturday I was thinking we could get in a longer trip together if that works out better.
I guess I should have posted this as a new thread in hunting buddies forum...but the whole conversation was had here...

So, open invite: I'll show people the site I found and they show me how to hunt it!

Lou

kpmoose
07-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Unfortunately, I'm working this week & Saturday as well. I'll be available for a Sunday hunt if anyone is around then.

lee
07-10-2014, 04:09 AM
well im up for it,last day at work today and im off for 8 days and i fully intend to detect till my head falls off....so gis a shout.

Twobit
07-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Alright then....I posted what I found today at that site. It looks like it will be fun and there is MORE than enough to do for a good sized group of people. I would like to go check out the site again tomorrow if anyone is interested. Not sure how we will manage to get everyone there...I guess we could meet in downtown Middletown somewhere and then head down 91 from there. It's not a long ride at all (assuming you live in Hartford County). The place will, by no means, be exhausted with one day of searching. I haven't even seen the quarry my friend told me about yet.
If anyone can go please let me know. Sadly, I can't get a super early start because I have to drop my son off at day care but I ca definitely be in Middletown by 9:30 to 10:00. Please let me know if you are interested.

Lou

lee
07-11-2014, 05:30 AM
yawn....big stretch.......ohhhh....ohhh...aarrr......ok im ready ,im in wethersfield so not to far away, give me a call when you drop the kids off and i can meet you somewhere in middle town or come round me house.
860 297 1279
lee

Trooper Bri
07-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Fantastic day to be out. You guys wind up hitting that site?

Twobit
07-11-2014, 08:37 PM
yeah, it was overwhelming the number of cellar holes and promising sites. We didnt really hit any one area for long..kinda wandered through the woods. detecting as we went. The cellar holes appear very old...some of them have massive trees in the center of them. Lee found a sweet button, I found trash!

We are planning on going back midday tomorrow again. It looks like Mango, Kpmoose, Lee, and I will be there. Please join us! Five people is not enough to touch this area. I'm offering Lee's phone number to call since he posted it above! ;) Give a call tomorrow or just respond back here. I'll PM directions.

Trooper Bri
07-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the invite Lou, and the PM. Frick, I really want to meet more of the CT crew, but we'll have to try again soon! I even screwed up and missed the YTC meeting this month (had it marked for Sunday on my phone calendar...)

A friend from work is taking me and my friend Ron to a site on private land in the NW hills he hunts on tomorrow. It's a pic I posted in the Relic forum. He's got some maintenance to do in his spots, and we'll be swinging for a couple hours or so. Will be doing the 8lb 6oz baby Jesus prayer that we find a reason to go back.

Paul Digs
07-11-2014, 11:28 PM
yeah, it was overwhelming the number of cellar holes and promising sites. We didnt really hit any one area for long..kinda wandered through the woods. detecting as we went. The cellar holes appear very old...some of them have massive trees in the center of them. Lee found a sweet button, I found trash!

We are planning on going back midday tomorrow again. It looks like Mango, Kpmoose, Lee, and I will be there. Please join us! Five people is not enough to touch this area. I'm offering Lee's phone number to call since he posted it above! ;) Give a call tomorrow or just respond back here. I'll PM directions.

Wow it sounds like a great site! Hope you guys have a great day with dome great finds! Best of luck and happy hunting!

Twobit
07-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks Paul...
Three of us went and it was challenging again. So much area and finding just the right cellar hole has proven difficult. Apparently some branch of the armed forces used part of the area for training exercises some time ago. We found about a ton of rifle blanks at two inches. There was other stuff we found but not what we were hoping for at such a an old site. just gotta keep swinging that coil and it will come.

kpmoose
07-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Yup, challenging sums it up. Either way, it was still great to get out with you and Jim (MangoAve). Thanks for setting it up and showing us the sites you had found previously. We'll definitely have to get out there late fall/ early winter to see if we can locate any sites that may be hiding behind dense growth.

kpmoose
07-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Rather than starting a new thread, figured I would post my pics here from the hunt Saturday.

And pics of a button I found Friday from one of cellar holes we hunted Saturday too. No design on the front. Back says London Double Plated. Shank is completely gone.

kpmoose
07-13-2014, 08:30 PM
One of the cellar holes with a huge center stack chimney

Trooper Bri
07-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Hoping to see some pics and action from you guys. Nice button find.

MangoAve
07-14-2014, 08:41 AM
My button looks almost identical. The only thing Is that it says Double Gilt. Maybe I gotta try and clean mine as Dave (heavymetalnut) did by how dan told him to. Lou, I don't think it had anything to do with not staying in one place. We gave it nearly 6 hours and there were 4 spots. I just think some of it was hit and we just didnt happen to put the coil were there were any finds. Think of how most of the good finds were by the mill site, and we knew it was hit a few times. The warehouse and other house/barn weren't hit or hit as hard and there was a lot less finds at those spots. It was just hard to imagine the shape of the warehouse spot to grasp where people would be walking. I'm sure it's worth another trip and there is another loop to the blue trail. See, you didn't have an embarrasing spot.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?15779-A-Little-late-but-3x-worth-of-finds&p=169090#post169090

tuckersman
05-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Live in oakdale ct near the mohegun sun casino always looking
Not sure but i think detecting in norwich ct is a no no

JesusCasiano
05-10-2016, 04:47 AM
There are many options available over the web.