PDA

View Full Version : improving

brownbeardad
06-25-2014, 07:22 AM
got out yesterday before the rain came through. guess i'm not hard core yet, the lightening made me leave. i did go back and search an area that worked about a month ago. found some clad and a keychain ornament. my takeaway is i'm improving in separating signals, good from the trash. going back out today.

MangoAve
06-25-2014, 07:52 AM
The hard one to distinguish are cans. Best thing I have learned with my machine is to know what a good number is and if the signal is repeatable. Like 19-21 is in the nickel range, but almost always it's a pull tab. Placing a nickel down and seeing the number is about 24-26, then most likely a buried 24 is a nickel. A quarter usually is 113-117, so if I see something 125 which is still in the same range I know it's most likely not a coin. But as some on here will say, that logic might be make you pass up the relics. Hoping myself to get out after work today. good luck to u.

Skamaniac
06-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Hard core is not the term I would use for hunting while there's lightning! I'm glad you got out from under it. Using your machine is the only way to learn it, so hang in there and on swingin'.

Digger Don
06-25-2014, 09:11 AM
It get easier as time goes on. I never hunt with lightning close. Not worth it.

Timewarpdigger
06-25-2014, 11:58 AM
I found that with time I have been able to learn my machine and have been digging a lot less trash. Keep at it it will get better. Safe & HH

coinnut
06-25-2014, 06:30 PM
I will hunt in all weather except LIGHTNING!:badday:Smart move to get out of there. We never stop learning what or what not to detect.

Moresound
06-26-2014, 11:59 AM
I hunt in lighting storms only in hopes that I will get a free charge on my battery pack. :grin:

brownbeardad
06-27-2014, 12:55 PM
thanks for the info guys. when i think i've learned the difference between a nickel and pulltab as MangoAve said, a crushed aluminum can comes up as a penny or dime (my most recent insight), and then the machine displays a new range of VDI's and i dig up a set of keys. its fun not knowing what's next.

MangoAve
06-27-2014, 01:19 PM
The cans should have a bigger detect area if you have a pinpoint mode on your machine. The ones that make me a little irate, when I see a steady reading up above 200, thinking it's a big dollar coin as it's always repeating, and out pops some big piece of junk metal. It's happened twice. One was a huge cap from a metal fence pole about 3" diameter. Just a let down...