PDA

View Full Version : Pequot relic hunt

coinnut
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Had a couple of days doing the Pequot hunts and did pretty well. That GPX 5000 is a vacuum cleaner for targets :lol: I'm using an elliptical mono coil, so no accurate discrimination. Ended up with a large amount of hits (close to 100) but only took pictures of these. Meant to get a picture of two silver plated discs that I thought would be half reales, but they were too light. Probably silvered tin and might be gaming pieces. I did get a possible small (bird?) point or the top half of a larger point, a couple or large caliber musket balls, two copper buttons (one at 9") a possible 17th century thimble and another Jesuit ring. Second one from this place. Gotta love this field :smitten:

The Rebel
06-26-2014, 08:18 PM
That's some amazing history! Was that ring also used as a wax seal?

CTTodd
06-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Yes great history. I'd like to know more about the ring too. If you find out more.

Lodge Scent
06-26-2014, 08:29 PM
That ring is an incredible find :wow:

Digger Don
06-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Great Job . That ring looks really sweet

del
06-27-2014, 03:45 AM
great finds George :clapping::clapping:

MangoAve
06-27-2014, 06:22 AM
No discrimination? You always dug all the iron anyway...:lol: Yeah, what is the ring made of? It's obvi uncleaned in the pic so far (and Im sure you haven't had time yet to clean it up)

Bell-Two
06-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Great stuff and the ring is a fascinating find. This stuff for the Museum?

Tony Two-Cent
06-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Some terrific finds there, George, especially the Jesuit ring! It's one of those finds that really gets a person's imagination working. Who lost that ring? What was their life like? What were the circumstances that led to that ring being in that location?

The thimble is very interesting too. I hope it turns out to be from the 17th century.

Thanks for sharing these finds with us and keep us the good work on Pequot hunts! Uncovering early US history like that really fascinates me!

coinnut
06-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

That's some amazing history! Was that ring also used as a wax seal?

I'm not sure if they used them as a wax seal also. These were given to the natives in trade or as gifts. The two rings I found there may have been with the Narragansett tribe, or anyone that had trade with the French. The Dutch and English would have been Protestant and would not have traded those rings. So those rings probably did not get used as a wax seal.

Great stuff and the ring is a fascinating find. This stuff for the Museum?

Yep, this is all museum finds. We don't get to keep any of it. It contributes to telling part of the story in a very important time in history. That is the reason none of the finds are cleaned. They go back to a lab where the conservator cleans and preserves them.

Not a lot of keepers from today's hunt, as I was trying to find the boundaries where the soldiers and natives marched. Did get a small flat button, a smashed musket ball (probably around 58 cal) and a nice piece of scrap brass which I forgot to take a picture of :rolleyes: Did get a pouch full of the usual junk 22's, casings and shot gun shells though:lol:

Timewarpdigger
06-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Awesome finds. Congrats.

milco
06-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Amazing! What's the history behind the Jesuit symbols on the ring, any idea?

coinnut
06-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Amazing! What's the history behind the Jesuit symbols on the ring, any idea?

Here's a link to some info on Jesuit rings recovered at a Missouri site. There are varying opinions on the meaning of the IHS on the ring. This is one interpretation.

http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/minigalleries/jesuitrings/intro.shtml

aloldstuff
06-29-2014, 06:23 AM
Great items George. For years people of walked over these items (found 22's and shotgun shells) but now you and Dan have the ability to help bring the real history of this area to life. Fantastic job.

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-29-2014, 08:53 PM
beautiful ring! some great relics too G! thanks for taking us along!

fsa46
07-02-2014, 05:43 AM
WTG George. Love :kiss: the ring.

Reading your posts and enjoying the pics are almost better than being there....don't have to deal with the heat, ticks, mosquitos and poison ivy .