PDA

View Full Version : Managed to squeak out 3 more silvers before I sweated to death!

Full Metal Digger
06-29-2014, 05:34 PM
It was so friggin' hot and humid today. I was soaked head-to-toe. Hit two old parks today and got 3 wheat cents and 3 silvers. The 1960 Rosie was only 2 inches deep. I think others probably thought it was modern and skipped it. But the e-trac was not fooled. It was screaming 10-48 at me! I thought it was going to be a silver ring.

The 1919 was a very odd signal at 09-26. It was next to an old sidewalk and 7 to 8 inches deep. It sounded like trash but it was such a tight and repeatable signal I thought I should dig it. It was in a little coin-ball and when I cracked it open I saw the silver edge.

Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

And here is all the old coins I found this weekend. (I also had 12 wheat cents, mostly pre-1920)

coinnut
06-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Nice group of weekend finds there :clapping:Congrats on sneaking that Mercury out!

Digger Don
06-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Once again, Great bunch of coins. you had a great weekend.

Hook
06-29-2014, 08:56 PM
nice job toughing it out in the heat! now for the obvious question...do the 2 1916 mercs have a D mintmark? lol

Timewarpdigger
06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
A great weekend of hunting congrats. Safe & HH

Ill Digger
06-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Dang Dave!! Your only 50 silvers ahead of me. :envious:
You had a pretty darn good weekend if you ask me! :thumbsup01:
Congrats! :grin:

giant056
06-30-2014, 01:28 AM
Fantastic bunch of silvers :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
06-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Good detecting on getting that merc. Very impressive weekend finds. :congrats:

MangoAve
06-30-2014, 06:54 AM
When I get too close to some sidewalks, my detector seems to false. Well.... maybe the fact that you picked something up and the fact that sidewalk tear out and repairs people can find some stuff It's possible. I just took it as the concrete had rebar and I was just getting the big iron.

Ill Digger
06-30-2014, 08:42 PM
When I get too close to some sidewalks, my detector seems to false....... I just took it as the concrete had rebar and I was just getting the big iron.
From experiance with installing, removing, and metal detecting along the side of them, there are usually lots of nails buried along the edges of sidewalks from the nails they hold their concrete forms together with. After the concrete sets up they strip the forms, pull the nails, and drop them in the hole where the forms were at, then backfill with dirt.:duh:

MangoAve
07-01-2014, 06:47 AM
From experiance with installing, removing, and metal detecting along the side of them, there are usually lots of nails buried along the edges of sidewalks from the nails they hold their concrete forms together with. After the concrete sets up they strip the forms, pull the nails, and drop them in the hole where the forms were at, then backfill with dirt.:duh:

Hmm. Maybe it's good that I never bothered checking cuz I would be pulling up so many nails. But without trying I wouldn't have known...unless there was an explanation from soneone.. Thanks for the info.

don in ny
07-02-2014, 05:28 AM
Nice bunch of coins! Looks like you found yourself a nice spot. You earned it if you're out detecting in this really humid weather. I try and focus on wooded areas this time of year to stay out of the sun as much as possible.