PDA

View Full Version : Post-carnival coinshoot 6/30

Trooper Bri
06-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Had the bug to go picking once or twice after work this past week for an hour or so, and I actually targeted what's likely a target rich beach. But after two tries at different times on different days, I'm going to have to wait for a poopy day, or the end of the season.

Knowing my weekend was pretty well booked (It was a double blue moon and I had to go into work today), I was kinda bummed about maybe not getting out, until....
I saw a familiar large field getting mowed on my way home from work Tuesday. For an annual carnival that's been coming to that town for a long time. They pack up on Sunday, and move on. Put my gear in the car last night and as I drove by the field at 6AM, they were mostly packed up. Cool!

Got out at 3, and headed right there with my buddy Ron (his unused Bounty Hunter got me hooked). Saw some coot sitting in a car and wondered if he beat us to the punch, but it turns out he didn't. My Interceptor spooked him, and off he went. :lol:
Saw the layout of the carnival, and had a plan. Hit the area where the picnic tables were around the concession stands first. Did pretty good there. Ron snarfed up coins too. He's just learning his MD, and didn't buy a pinpointer like I told him to, so I had to stop and check his increasingly widening holes occasionally.

Did pretty good in over an hour. I cleared my 1'st dollar! $1.27, most of an old ladies leather and metal "Libra" bracelet, and 2 mystery items. Found them on top of each other, maybe kaleidoscope lenses? They've been in the ground a bit. Didn't find as much surface coins as I expected, but much of those coins shown were a couple/few inches down. Doesnt look like anyone hits the place, and don't think it gets mowed. So I have maybe a week or so to hit it more. Ron did less, but the surface/buried ratio was the same. His seems to do better with nickels. He dug a couple, where every solid nickel hit I had was pull tabs.

Knew I was digging shallow, so I added 2 more tools to my pouch. A cheap 3" pocket knife with a serrated edge, and an old 10" flat blade screwdriver. That's all I needed, except for those 2 quarters. The field is real dry and really packed from not being turned anymore, so popping coins was kinda cool.
Sorry to be long winded, I do it in fishing reports too. Looking forward to posting reports with more cool finds and less words soon. :rofl:

Timewarpdigger
06-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Congrats for the finds. Safe & HH

Digger Don
06-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Nice job on all those coins. Congrats

aloldstuff
06-30-2014, 05:14 AM
Keep going back. If that carnival has been there for years there has to be more coins. :congrats:on your scouting out the area.

MangoAve
06-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Al, that's what I was hoping for when I was researching. There is an annual fair held for Bri's town, and my home town. It started in the 1800's, but unfortunately it was held in random places in almost a rotating schedule on which of the 4 town it will be held at. It's now held at a steady place, but only since the 70's so there's nothing more than clad. It's not the same place he's checking.

From your description and the fact there were a few fairs held this weekend (that friends were posting about on FB) I was thinking you were there while the fair was being held. lol. Tell him to use his Bounty Hunter in pinpoint mode. It will give a 4" circle to dig. The pinpointer is a must, but still the pinpoint mode on the detector will give a smaller area to dig.

Trooper Bri
06-30-2014, 08:23 PM
I've lived in the town that carnival is held in, and drive by the field almost daily Jim. It wasn't anything I thought about though until I got into the hobby and saw the field getting mowed last week. I don't think the carnival has been around for much more than 20 or 25 years though. Before that it was a farm field. No doubt there's more coinage, but it's gonna be in the 90's and muggy as heck the next couple days. Grrrrr. I'm about 3 rock throws from the 4 town turf, didn't even think about the place.

I taught him to go to pinpoint, but the place is trashy too. He got fooled with a few close proximity targets.

MangoAve
07-01-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm about 3 rock throws from the 4 town turf, didn't even think about the place.

I taught him to go to pinpoint, but the place is trashy too. He got fooled with a few close proximity targets.

I google mapped the 4 town and it appears it's fenced the majority of the year with signs up for no trespassing. The few times I went by it off season I never payed attention. So I just crossed it off my list.

Close proximity targets seem no issue with me. The 1901 IH I found in a park was right next to iron. The 1789 copper I got was about 2 inches above a piece of iron. My machine is on lowest discrimination all the time, which is still supposed to block out iron, but I can always hear the few pops. So the times I can hear a bunch of consistant readings, then a few randoms, then consistant again, I know it's a masked signal. I think other machines have better discrimination than mine so they usually don't hear the masked signal. However, based upon the fact that going out 1v1 and running my coil over a spot they found or vice versa to see reading/numbers, mine can miss stuff just as often as other machines. I get annoyed when out in the woods and I get a faint hit, and it turns out to be nothing more than a big rock with really high mineral content. I believe it even sets off the pinpointer which is PI unlike detector.

Trooper Bri
07-01-2014, 04:45 PM
He's poppin' fresh new with his detector. I've still swung it more than he has probably. He's no dummy, just has less free time than I do.

I gotta got to Cheapo Depot in Enfield on Thursday, which brings me by the grounds. I'll take a look for signage, but I'm guessing you're right.

del
07-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Brian , that field is a large one where the carnival is held (if we are talking about the same one ) i've seen guy there detecting over the years. I've even hit the other end years ago pulled a couple of nice silver rings too.

ODA 226
07-05-2014, 03:27 AM
He's poppin' fresh new with his detector. I've still swung it more than he has probably. He's no dummy, just has less free time than I do.

I gotta got to Cheapo Depot in Enfield on Thursday, which brings me by the grounds. I'll take a look for signage, but I'm guessing you're right.

I used to live on Tripp Road, just across from the 5th hole at Ellington Ridge CC. Small world!