PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Evening Hunt

z118
06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Another near perfect day weather wise in upstate NY, so I was more that pleased to be able to take advantage with some swing time. The spot I had in mind was sadly filled with baseball practice when I arrived so I headed to an alternate, less interesting spot. The Sov was really cranky to start - breaking on all signals, not pinpointing well, and not seeming to get very good depth. But she sure was hot on nickels for some reason. I fought her all night and she seemed to settle down toward the second half of the hunt. I wound up with 68 coins total (29 of which were nickels) worth $5.10 total including 1 nice '45 wheat. Also the the obligatory key, and nifty Acme Thunderer Whistle (made in England), and a very odd item that would appear to be two bullets shoved nose to nose in a tube and taped together with a wire coming out. You tell me. At any rate it was a sweet hunt. No keepers but dang if I don't just like to dig!

Happy Hunting!

tanacat
06-08-2010, 09:13 PM
The bullets rigged up for (explosion) is REALLY wierd :crazy: wondering what's up with the person who did that lol First thought came to mind was couple 10 yr old boys stealing a dad's bullets, wanting some action after their 4th grade lightbulb/battery lesson...

Nice you got out on a beautiful day for some fresh air, working them swingin' and diggin' muscles :) Congrats on all the clad, I don't find nickels too often.

coinnut
06-08-2010, 09:19 PM
29 nickels :shocked04: That's a lot of nickels lol Nice to hunt two days in a row. :yes: I don't know about the bullets, but it looks like some kid was trying something he learned from the internet. I would think it was an experiment to see if a battery could ignite the powder. And to think we used to play with baseball cards and G I Joes as kids, when we could have been making explosives lol My E Trac can be fickle sometimes too. Usually settles in the afternoon. Other times it is great all day. I'm starting to think it's just the nature of electronics sometimes. Decent amount of clad for the clad pile thumbsup01

Cheap Thrills
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
68 coins is a whole lot of digging and the 29 nlckels is an incredible ratio . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 I'm exhausted just reading about it . You may have cleaned out enough newer stuff so that the next time you go some of the older stuff may not escape you , but you never can be sure of anything with detecting . :dontknow: Good luck .

Ill Digger
06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Boy...some work went into makin' that thing :confused: Looks like they drilled out the primer so the wire can come all the way through it and out the bottom :dontknow: Weird :crazy:
29 nickels !! :shocked04: Whoa !! Thats great thumbsup01
Good hunt!!
Congrats

wolf-n-wa
06-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Mini pipe bomb :confused: heck IDK. Great count on the nicks. WTG WOLF