PDA

View Full Version : Some nice finds w/ silver Washington!!

xzlr8n
06-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Had the opportinity to go to another old house Monday evening with my hunting buddy Don. I thought Don was a real nice guy until he found his third silver Rosie, but that is another story I'll drop for now rofl. This is the second of the the two houses we were invited to hunt after being spotted hunting at another yard the other day. We were supposed 8/ to hunt for a lost garden tool lost some where in this homeowner's vast gardenesque backyard. It turned out to be 5% yard (walk ways) and 95% garden jungle :shocked04: with ground ivy and weeds :shocked04: (I mean flowers and ferns :shocked01:) all over the place. Yet more yard was consumed by a defunked in-ground pool that now collects compost :shocked01: and a pool house that houses all sorts of trash (I mean garden implements). So, the area to hunt shall we say was very limited. However, right after turning on the machine and sticking my D2 coil in the first flower bed in front of me bam 84 VDI signal. :confused: Ok I'll bite and was rewarded :peace: with the '42 Washington. Great start with lots of hope now. Hope soon dwindles as I struggled to get through the flower beds and ground ivy, all the while :mad: mosquitos :mad: are swarming out of their beds to feast from the coil movement. I kept going along the paths and areas where I could get the coil to within 3 of the ground ( I mean jungle floor) and stumbled upon two nice Wheaties within a foot of one another. One was a pretty good 1916-S, worth about $1.35 in G-4 :clapping:, not bad for a penny. The other was a real nice '24 in great codition. That was about it for the rest of the night. If I had a bit more patience and perseverance :( I might have scarfed up two of the Rosies Don found. I guess I didn't go slow enough. Don was pretty proud of himself :teasing: for getting them in areas I just walked over :bangahead01:. All kidding aside we had fun and great success for the square footage we were able to detect, and we never did find the dandy lion digger tool. Finally at our trucks Don for some reason wouldn't take up my offer for my one outstanding SILVER Washington :cheesysmile: for his three silver dimes, I think it was a fair trade :dontknow: what do you guys think. Don't get me wrong I'm appreciative of the homeowner's offer to hunt his yard, I just think his gardening has gotten away from him a wee little bit.

z118
06-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Great digs! I am sad to say I have not dug a silver quarter this year (yet, I hope). Congrats!

Cheap Thrills
06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice going , for some strange reason the thought of trading finds with someone never crossed my mind. I guess I always figured what I found was mine and what they found was theirs . I would flat out give something I found away or sell it . My finds become a bit personal to me but I can see the practicality of someone wanting to trade if both parties would rather have what the other has . :thinkingabout:

xzlr8n
06-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Sheik, I agree with you I wouldn't trade either, no way no how. I was only ribbing him on the quantity of silver he found versus my lonely one hole find. Sometimes the quantity of finds satiates us addicted junky treasure hunters more than anything else, especially when the guy your hunting with is pulling silver out right behind you!! rofl rofl I know I'm quick to throw my finds in my pocket and get on to the next target to get that high feeling of the previous find, did I say we are junkies :thinkingabout:.

Cheap Thrills
06-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Sheik, I agree with you I wouldn't trade either, no way no how. I was only ribbing him on the quantity of silver he found versus my lonely one hole find. Sometimes the quantity of finds satiates us addicted junky treasure hunters more than anything else, especially when the guy your hunting with is pulling silver out right behind you!! rofl rofl I know I'm quick to throw my finds in my pocket and get on to the next target to get that high feeling of the previous find, did I say we are junkies :thinkingabout:.

You're right X, junkie is the appropriate term , obsessive compulsive might pertain also . I can't believe some of the crap I do to try and find silver . :thinkingabout:

Ill Digger
06-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I'd say you guys did pretty dang good for huntin' in the jungle (I mean garden) lol
I know your feeling...it's pretty hard to swallow when someone come behind you and digs a keeper :bangahead01: (been there, done that :bangahead01:)
Still you got the big silver thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

coinnut
06-09-2010, 02:52 PM
I bet your mouth dropped when you saw the yard you were invited into lol Did you bring your machette? ;) But you guys did find some nice targets. 4 silvers and some wheats and hmmmm.... no garden tool? Must be discriminated out rofl And don't worry about someone getting coins after you did an area, we do it all the time on our hunts. It's a game of inches and you probably just missed getting your coil over the target. If we could see a colored path of our coil sweeps, it would look like a bad paint job lol A dime takes up almost no space :yes:

wolf-n-wa
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Score on the quarter. And nice wheats. They are in great condition and good years. Sweet finds. WOLF

randy
06-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Nice hunt. I'd rather have the quarter anyway since they seem much harder to find.

tanacat
06-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Congrats on the silver! That is hilarious about supposed to be finding a garden tool in that jungle- great imagery rofl

Nice going , for some strange reason the thought of trading finds with someone never crossed my mind.

Actually.... Hook and I just bartered a Ky horseshoe for 4 Mardi Gras tokens lol Sharing our cultures :beerbuddy:

angellionel
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM
I love the look of those old wheat cents, and the silver is sweet. Nice digs! thumbsup01