PDA

View Full Version : What kind of foundation?

Trooper Bri
07-01-2014, 09:48 PM
A friend of mine from work is a hunter, and has permission to hunt private property here in the state. This was a spot he noticed while walking to his killin' grounds. The owner is OK with him bringing in 1 or 2 of us in the same car, just finding a day we can get there is tough lately. Hoping this weekend is it.

So what is it? It's set into a bit of a rise, kinda small, could have been 3 sided, but maybe a semi-circle? Old hut, stable, or storage shed for the farm equipment? Definitely going to explore around the area regardless. Once I actually find out where this is I can research the area.

OxShoeDrew
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Hey Brian, It looks like a barn foundation to me. I bet there are other foundations nearby.

MangoAve
07-02-2014, 06:27 AM
I agree with Drew. The rise shoule be toward the background of the pic (but we can't tell from pic). The fact that there is a gap on the left side of the foundation being a door, it's definitely not a house foundation. I believe Dan said with one side of foundation open, most likely it was a barn for the animals.

Is there a rock wall around the outside like a perimeter of a property? As Drew also said, there should be a foundation near it and possibly a well.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-02-2014, 08:08 AM
it's def a barn foundation.like Dan always told me the cellar hole should be within eyesight from that barn.look around and good luck!

Bell-Two
07-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Give it a shot the stuff you may find will give you an idea of what it was.

Trooper Bri
07-02-2014, 07:14 PM
That pic is from a text a few weeks ago, it's the best I have.

Thought that opening to the left might have been a collapsed wall (looks like a big stone behind our friend Dan), but yeah, I can see it being an entrance. To the right of the pic you can see the rise for sure, and a bit through the entrance now that I see it for what it is.

Tentative was Friday, but it's really looking like a washout. I'll know tomorrow if we can re-schedule for Saturday. I'm jazzing to get up there, and will definitely be looking and listening all over. And since it's out there a bit, there was a road to it, or by it. Surely old forgotten roads through the woods must be good for detecting? Stuff must fall out of pockets on a buckboard seat or running horse.

Thanks for the help guys! Very much appreciated. I'd really like to pay forward the generosity. I've got 10 weeks until I'm shut off for hunting season. And probably only get a couple few hours at a clip. If an open seat is available, I'll put it out there. It'd be nice to have someone out there with experience.

del
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Brian the only way i could see that as being a house foundation is if the earth and dirt was pushed up along the stones around the outside of the perimeter of them . If they are not then its has to be an outbuilding , shed , barn or even a very small pen to quarantine animals from the rest of the larger pens. its still proof there was older activity and there is more then likely a site close by.

MangoAve
07-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Surely old forgotten roads through the woods must be good for detecting? Stuff must fall out of pockets on a buckboard seat or running horse.

I've got 10 weeks until I'm shut off for hunting season.

...kind of. The copper I got was on the old wagon road, however it looks like it was directly in front of the site for the old building. This place the foundation rocks must have been removed. The coin was 5 inches down so that shows it can even fall through the stones and sand they used in the old roads.

Only 10 weeks left?

Trooper Bri
07-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Saturday is finally a go for this place. Most likely won't be a long day, hoping to squeeze out a few hours since our host won't be detecting. I'm psyched for mystery grounds! Fingers crossed for a positive report and new avatar. :crossfingers:

OxShoeDrew
07-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Good luck Brian!

kpmoose
07-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Good luck. Happy hunting.

del
07-11-2014, 02:28 AM
hope it is a great spot Brian , good luck .