PDA

View Full Version : Locating new places to metal detect with GPS.

Dave
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Here is a great place to start.

The Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) is a data system developed by the U. S. Geological Survey (USGS) in cooperation with the U. S. Board on Geographic Names. The National Geographic Names Data Base is the largest of the GNIS databases, containing records on almost two million geographic feature names in the United States: from populated places, schools, reservoirs, and parks, to streams, valleys, springs, and ridges.

http://research.yale.edu/peabody/COLLECTIONS/gnis/

OkieDigger
11-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I've used this before. It has many historical places listed.

Lane
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I used this as well...I'll find something that looks interesting in old newspaper archives, then look to see if the place is listed in the GNIS database. Then I plug the coordinates into google earth where I save it for later. Its a great tool that can help you in your research.

RickO
12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Great resource, thanks for posting it.... RickO

angellionel
12-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this info Dave! thumbsup01

Ron in WY
12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Anybody using a Lowrance iFinder H2O C?

Ron

coinnut
12-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Anybody using a Lowrance iFinder H2O C?

Ron

Hey Ron, Is that Lowrance primarily a water GPS?? I use a land handheld Garmin 76CSx and it works nicely. Don't have any info on Lowrance, but would like to hear about them.

Ron in WY
12-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Actually, it's a hiking GPS primarily but it is waterproof (H2O). I think the unit is starting to pass its prime but will be just perfect for me. (Cheap) Ordered the MapCreate DVD with it to create overlays with more detail of different areas rather than load up everything. Also a 2GB SD card and a card reader.

I'll be using it for locating likely hunting spots around here and on the boat. Have a SI-Tex GPS/Fishfinder/Plotter already on the boat but didn't get the version with maps.

Like the Chipmunks and Alvin say; This is a Christmas gift From ME to ME.

Ron

coinnut
12-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Like the Chipmunks and Alvin say; This is a Christmas gift From ME to ME.

Ron

Nothing wrong with that... those are the best kinds of gifts - no returns lol lol ;)

RickO
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Hey Coinnut, that Garmin CSx76 is a great unit. I have one as well. RickO

coinnut
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey Coinnut, that Garmin CSx76 is a great unit. I have one as well. RickO

I love it... only issues I have with it is that the compass seems to be off a lot? Does yours do that?? I tried everything and now use a separate compass to align the map. But it tracks nicely!!

bottleCap Mining Corp
01-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you thumbsup01

Problem now is I need a land gps unit. :thinkingabout: and learn how to use it. :bangahead01: :bangahead01:

coinnut
01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I just picked up the Garmin Oregon 550T. It's a really nice unit. Has a camera that takes pretty good pictures and automatically tags the picture with the GPS coordinance. More of a touch screen design and a lot smaller of a unit, but doesn't sacrifice the screen size. Remember, you don't have to learn every function, just how to mark a location and go back to it.