PDA

View Full Version : Outta the woods, onto the lawn - 7/5

Trooper Bri
07-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Knew I was going somewhere today, and after 1 plan fell through this week, I got the invite to go detecting cellar holes with del. Sweet!
He had places to be so it was a short trip, and we were on the road by 1PM. I didn't get squat in 5 hours, had a bad detector day, but the breeze through the trees and no humidity made up for it. Thanks again for the invite Dan! Learned how to handle certain finds, and more of what to look for in the lay of the land.

One of the detector issues out in the woods was the lone wimpy screw that holds the arm cuff fell off, and the cuff itself followed suit. Thankfully I have a couple gallon ziploc bags taped with blue painters tape to the wrist bar in case of rain, etc. That got me through the last hour. After parting ways, decided it was way too nice out, and I wanted to fix my Garrett.
Went home, took a shower, loaded the detector (after changing the batteries...) and my small bag for lawn surgery, and headed for the Ace Hardware in the center of town. Bought 2 direct replacements, and since I still had plenty of change from a dollar, bought a slightly longer screw and locknut since a little probing at the hardware store revealed the hole passes all the way through the cuff. Just have to punch out a little circle of foam padding to sink the head of the screw through.

Part 2 of my mission was the town green and gazebo just a few hundred feet from the hardware store. It actually doesn't get used much, but is in a good spot. All I had was my serrated pocket knife and screwdriver, and only shot for solid coin targets 4" and under. I think there's electrical underground for X-Mas lighting, so was real careful.
Was out there maybe 2 hours and maybe 10 modern dimes and pennies, plenty of crunk from digging those nickel and tab tones, some lead, and my one cool find that I actually recognized. What I thought was a Boy Scout neckerchief slide, is actually a Cub Scout one? I looked it up and don't see modern slides offered in blue with the wolf.
Called it quits around 5. Was starving, and the currently rained out race at Daytona called. Guess I'm liking this hobby. Going to poke around somewhere tomorrow too. Maybe carnival field before it grows in. Like to peek in the woods in the back too.

Including a mystery lead piece I found in the square today. Looks broken off of something, and I almost recognize it. It's 3/4" wide, and those squared notches are 1/2" on center.

del
07-05-2014, 08:30 PM
Brian , sorry I had to cut the day short . It was a perfect day with almost no humidity and nice gusty breezes to keep the bugs off ya and keep you cool. Believe me i didn't want to leave . the pewter button I found did have a design (an obscure one but a design) and the chain did go to the pocket watch lapel anchor. the sites were very stingy but I have some good sites lined up and very soon to hit.

Trooper Bri
07-05-2014, 09:17 PM
No apologies needed Dan, had fun today. Looking forward to seeing them cleaned up. Maybe the watch is still there.

Timewarpdigger
07-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Great slide. Have a few myself. Like to find them. Safe & HH

Twobit
07-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Bri, I think we have many more days like that ahead of us. I found one of those slides a few weeks ago at a park near my house. It was pretty cool to find...I had a momentary relapse to my childhood. Too bad about the equipment failure...it's probably a fix in my future.

aloldstuff
07-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Seems like you had a very active day. Cellar hole hunting with Dan I am sure was a great experience. Hitting the town green and finding some coins is cool. That Cub Scout slide will be the 1st of many to get under your coil. My arm cuff broke one day on another machine and that ended the day, not a prayer of swinging without the cuff. Glad to read that you were able to fix it.

Keep at it and looking forward to your future posts.