PDA

View Full Version : old looking ladle

Robbie
07-06-2014, 12:11 PM
After finding that spoon last week ,I decided to put out and old looking ladle that I found 2yrs ago. Originally I thought it was copper, but after cleaning it last night with baking soda and water, I`m not sure. Any ideas? I can`t seem to find any markings on it yet. What cleaning method would anyone suggest?

Timewarpdigger
07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Not sure myself what it's made, but a really nice find. Not something you see being found often. Congrats, Safe & HH

OxShoeDrew
07-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Robbie, It must be some sort sort of copper, zinc, and nickel.
http://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/240/how-to-scrap-silver-plate-and-recycling-old-silver-plated-items-2
It looks mostly copper to my untrained eye. Some of the plating may still be present.

Bell-Two
07-06-2014, 06:43 PM
That is an uncommon find!

coinnut
07-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Hey Robbie, nice find. We see a lot of forks, knives and spoons, but not a lot of ladles being found. I think it probably is copper based, so brass with a silver plating may be what it is made of. Carefully look over the ladle, especially the edges under a magnifying glass and see if there are spots where the corrosion has removed the silver, and exposed the copper base. My guess would be heavy silver plate. Is there any writing on the backside stem, like a company name?

Robbie
07-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Hey Robbie, nice find. We see a lot of forks, knives and spoons, but not a lot of ladles being found. I think it probably is copper based, so brass with a silver plating may be what it is made of. Carefully look over the ladle, especially the edges under a magnifying glass and see if there are spots where the corrosion has removed the silver, and exposed the copper base. My guess would be heavy silver plate. Is there any writing on the backside stem, like a company name?
I think it is a copper base and no I can`t find a company name on it.Thanks