PDA

View Full Version : A couple keepers for July 3rd

Jim D
07-06-2014, 01:52 PM
The day after I found the 43 Walking Liberty half on the July 2nd I got a chance to go back and hunt some more, not much to show for but a cheap ring and a clay marble and some clad before the owner started mowing.
The lady across the street said I could look in her small yard. Their wasn't much in the front or side. I got to the back and the nulling from iron
content was very bad but I did manage to find a 46 rosie and a few more clad.
HH

OxShoeDrew
07-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Nice Jim, I'm still trying to find a walking liberty. When were clay marbles popular? Congrats!

aloldstuff
07-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Nice going on getting the rosie and the clay marbles are always a bonus. :congrats:on your keepers.

Tony Two-Cent
07-06-2014, 08:50 PM
I really like the clay marble! Was it a surface find, or in a hole you dug? I have found two clay marbles that were in the same hole with a coin, and another one that was a surface find in a field.

Good job finding the Rosie amongst the iron! :clapping:

:congrats:

Digger Don
07-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Nice job on the Merc. The marble is cool too. Congrats.

Jim D
07-07-2014, 02:33 AM
Tony,, actually I got a 5" or 6" coin signal that I dug and found the marble thinking I would have a coin in the hole with it, but it was some kind of metal screw about an inch long. :bummer:
I have occationally found them with a coin(not often).
OxShoeDrew , I did a google search for how clay marbles were made and Sam Dyke from Akron,Ohio in 1884 started mass producing them. He had 350 employees producing a million marbles a day!:shocked03: Then others businessmen started making them and Akron,Ohio became the marble Capital of late-19-century America. HH

Timewarpdigger
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Congrats for the finds. Silver always makes it nice. Safe & HH