PDA

View Full Version : Learning the GPX 5000 for relic hunting

coinnut
07-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I had a couple hours free time today and have been wanting to get back to the site that I pulled the 1809 Capped Bust dime from. It is only a couple miles from my house, so today I wanted to try and learn the machine a bit better around a cellar hole. I was primarily trying to see if there was any way to tell ferrous from non ferrous using a mono (non discriminating) coil. The one thing I instantly fell in love with on this machine, is the way it's threshold sounds like the old analog machines. I'm not sure but I thought I read they use both analog and digital in this machine. :thinkingabout:The end result is that I can tell non ferrous targets pretty consistently before I dig, but the ferrous targets are harder to tell. Any iron that is square, round or non nail like is going to give a good sound. Any small nail about 1" or under, including just the heads of nails, round birdshot, etc... is going to sound good too. Regular nails can be figured out to be bad.

I did pretty good for 3 hours of hunting, but I did stay away from the cellar hole :lol: Wasn't ready to tackle nail after nail just yet. The interesting pieces I found today was a weird lock. The top piece seems to just fold over the lock instead of going back into the lock :confused: Also has an odd key hole. The second piece that was odd was a small plug like disk that seems to read "Dollars" in the recessed area. Wondering if it is a scale weight. Thought it was iron but it may be brass. Learning this machine one hole at a time :shocked01: Here are all the finds (minus a lot of iron), so you can get a picture of what reads good.

Just found a similar lock from the same company. It appears that the top piece on my lock is just bent and would have slipped right into the top of the lock like usual.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=M.W+%26+Co.+Mallory+Wheeler+%26+Co+Antiqu e+padlock&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=m.w+%26+co.+mallory+wheeler+%26+co+antique+padl ock&sc=0-16&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=17C38F2CE7304D73285F3F15C48A3E030CC1B430&selectedIndex=2

CTTodd
07-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Been wondering about that unit. Thanks for the post. Nice hunt and lesson

kpmoose
07-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Nice job working it out on the new machine. That is a cool looking lock. :thumbsup01:

Tony Two-Cent
07-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I like your methodical approach, George! When you take the time to learn your machine that well you will not miss many good targets!

I like that unusual padlock, and the item with "Dollars" stamp on it is very intriguing. I bet you might be right about it being a scale weight of some kind. Very cool!

Keep up the good work with that machine! :thumbsup02:

fsa46
07-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Are you noticing any noticeable depth increase with the 5000 over the other machines you've used George ?

coinnut
07-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Are you noticing any noticeable depth increase with the 5000 over the other machines you've used George ?

Yes and no. :lol: I have noticed how hard it hits on any targets that are in the first 6", no matter what the mineralization is. On some of these targets, we have had a CTX, DFX, TDI and E Trac over them and they were not found. In particular, musket balls seem to be harder to find in this soil mineralization for some reason. The last 2 lead balls were about 4" deep and were right in a spot I know we have been over well, as it is not a big section and there have been a good number of musket balls already found there. But I am new to this machine and so far I have only tried the Coiltek Platypus 8x12 mono coil on it. Would love to see what a DD will do. I have found nails at 10" so it goes deep. But I have a lot to learn on getting good at setting it for different conditions. Maybe tomorrow I can get a chance and try the 11" DD coil on it.

Lodge Scent
07-07-2014, 04:22 PM
That's work, but fun work, mastering a new toy. No doubt you will be a GPX ninja at some point.

Bell-Two
07-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Ahh another tool in the tool box! I concur I bet you will get it down pat soon. Nice finds so far with it. Keep us abreast of how you are doing and what you are learning about the machine.

Timewarpdigger
07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Nice finds, time and patience will bring on success. Good luck, Safe 7 HH

fsa46
07-11-2014, 06:38 AM
Yes and no. :lol: I have noticed how hard it hits on any targets that are in the first 6", no matter what the mineralization is. On some of these targets, we have had a CTX, DFX, TDI and E Trac over them and they were not found. In particular, musket balls seem to be harder to find in this soil mineralization for some reason. The last 2 lead balls were about 4" deep and were right in a spot I know we have been over well, as it is not a big section and there have been a good number of musket balls already found there. But I am new to this machine and so far I have only tried the Coiltek Platypus 8x12 mono coil on it. Would love to see what a DD will do. I have found nails at 10" so it goes deep. But I have a lot to learn on getting good at setting it for different conditions. Maybe tomorrow I can get a chance and try the 11" DD coil on it.

You're doing really good with it now, can you imagine the results after using it awhile. Very interesting post....keep us posted on your progress.

Sounds like the right heater for those Pequot hunts where you guys dig all sounds.