PDA

View Full Version : Ace 350 arm cuff fix

Trooper Bri
07-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Out in the woods Saturday, and with an hour to go before bail time, my arm cuff falls off after a whopping 6 weeks... D'oh. Thankfully had some painters tape holding gallon ziploc baggies on the detector in case of rain, etc. Patched...
Apparently the engineers decided the upper half of the cuff gets the metal threaded insert molded in, and the lower half gets screwed in from the bottom by a 6-32 machine screw. Think it was black and can't verify the actual length due to our short term relationship. Once the screw loosens up enough, buh-bye! Bad engineering!! :disgusted:

Good engineering is the hole passes all the way through the upper cuff piece (was prepared to drill). Bought a couple 1 1/4" versions at the local hardware store to finish my day, and burned the rest of my dollar with a 1 1/2" version and a nylon locknut (use 5/16 socket).
Ran the screw through in reverse to punch a hole through the cuff padding, then reversed it. Used a pick to work the foam out from under the screw head as I turned it, and sank it clean onto the cuff, leaving only a scar in the foam. I don't use the strap, so it's there as extra padding protecting the foam.

I have enough thread left over on the screw for my next pet peeve project. The headphone wire coming off the side the head unit. I hate it. It gets magically wrapped around the head or snags branches.
Going to build or find an extension so I can plug in at the back, and under, the cuff where the wings will protect the connector.

coinnut
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Nice repair job. It seems that now days we have to repair or modify all new machines. But it is better than new now

Twobit
07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the DIY. This will likely be in my future. Now please figure out how to make it cybernetic so it swings on its own....and add a drink holder!

Lou

Trooper Bri
07-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys. That's a real easy DIY.

Looked online today during lunch for a 1/4" right angle headphone jack extension that will fit my needs, and it's a rare commodity in the wrong length and wrong price.
Fortunately we have a great place in the center of the state that I know will have the components I need to solder one together. Cables & Connectors on the Berlin T-Pike in Newington. Right across from the old drive-in.

Soooo, look for that project whenever I get a chance to drive down there.

Twobit
07-10-2014, 08:43 PM
That place is in my back yard basically. They are expensive but they have everything! You can always check monoprice online. They have all sorts of A/V equipment for great prices. It's all Chinese made though. Their stuff tends to be impressively good. They sell inline amplifiers for headphones as well.

Trooper Bri
07-11-2014, 07:39 PM
I've been using C&C for years Lou. Almost entirely for components like capacitors, etc, for electronic repairs and other bits and pieces like I need now.

7 bucks in parts, and $20 in gas. :lol: