PDA

View Full Version : Another lead filled relic hunt

coinnut
07-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Spent about 8 hours in that fun stuff they call humidity :lol: But I had lots of water and Gatorade. I finished off the spot that I started the other day. I was not too optimistic, since this part of the retreat path is not very big, and a lot of musket balls have already come from it. There must have been one heck of a fight there, because I ended up pulling 11 more musket balls. :shocked04: Also got a toe tap, a nice engraved Tombac, and another sliver of brass. The brass piece may be from the kettles that the Natives broke apart and made points from. It pushed the limits from this machine and coil, as it was a very faint signal. The piece was down around 7-8". That is deep considering the size of it and the soil type here. Also scored the deepest shotgun shell I have ever found. A measured 13". Going back on Thursday to hit another section to see what else is left. As for the other targets found today, 21- 22 cal slugs, 13 - steel buck shots, about 20 nails and 6 shot gun shells. Even though it was hot, at least I was not at work :thumbsup01:

Digger Don
07-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Congrats on your finds. I like that toe tap, Pretty cool

giant056
07-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Good hunt and finds :thumbsup01:

Bell-Two
07-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Good finds! Regarding the toe tap, when I first started detecting I would see these being found and I thought they were neat when I started hunting fields I started finding them and you know I still like finding them!

aloldstuff
07-09-2014, 02:02 PM
This humidity is a killer, good thing you had some gaterade and water. You are still producing the finds though. Thanks for the update and I will agree, detecting is better that working.

OxShoeDrew
07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I wonder how a shotgun shell can get 13in down without the help of plow. :shocked04: Nice going George!

coinnut
07-09-2014, 07:08 PM
I wonder how a shotgun shell can get 13in down without the help of plow. :shocked04: Nice going George!

Not sure because it was also under a thin flat fieldstone that was down about 4". :thinkingabout: That is what surprised me and really made wonder how it could be a shot gun shell. Once I saw the copper green color, I thought I may have a great target. I always pinpoint a target and then just use my fingers to locate it, so I can give them an accurate depth reading. But I did have a target in another hole that may answer that question. It is the first target I have lost during recovery. I got a hit and as I approached where I thought the target was, I used my pinpointer to find it. But what I didn't realize is that the target was about to fall down either a long gone root or an old animals hole. So when I pinpointed, I knocked it into the endless shaft :lol: I went down about a foot but could not locate any more of the shaft or the target. Rotted roots or animal burrows may cause a lot of our unconventionally deep targets. This also explains how it can get under the rock above it.

Timewarpdigger
07-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Nice finds and congrats. Safe & HH