PDA

View Full Version : Quick hunt today - nice silver

coinnut
07-12-2014, 04:24 PM
I wish I could say the GPX pulled this coin from iron, but in reality I was lucky to get it at all :lol: I worked another cellar hole that was near by and decided to dig iron close to the hole. And that is exactly what I got...a lot of iron with only 3 non ferrous targets... 2, 22cal casings and this heavily masked dime. Believe me the machine did not sniff out this dime, it was found just by digging the iron and using a pinpointer to clear the area. Must have dug 100 nails :shocked01: But it shows me that there are coins left that we may never get unless we remove some iron, especially the large pieces of iron. I'm getting a little tired of digging iron though :rolleyes:

zrickkid
07-12-2014, 05:50 PM
That is a spectacular dime. Your hard work paid off.

Timewarpdigger
07-12-2014, 06:45 PM
That is in unbelievable condition. Congrats!!!!

Paul Digs
07-12-2014, 07:17 PM
That is a fantastic dime :perfect10:. Congrats!

The Rebel
07-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Your hard work paid off nicely! WTG on the SL!

CTTodd
07-12-2014, 08:34 PM
That's a nice one lucky or not

fsa46
07-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Awesome condition on that dime George. That GPX is a killer, ( in more ways than one ) but it's going to be tough to use close to the cellar holes by the looks of things.

I still think you're going to tweak out finds that other machines have missed especially at the Pequot hunts.

aloldstuff
07-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Digging all those nails paid off greatly. Great looking coin. :thumbsup02:

Tony Two-Cent
07-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Incredibly beautiful dime, George! :smitten: :wow:

It just goes to show that good targets are being masked by iron, and this is probably true at virtually every site. If a person has the patience and tenacity to remove all of that iron they can be handsomely rewarded!

Congrats on the seated beauty! :clapping:

Bell-Two
07-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Sweet dime, and a good point about being persistent!

Lodge Scent
07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Nice recovery! I've always wondered how much old small silver there is to be found at the cellar holes if only I had the energy and patience to clear out the iron.

giant056
07-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Awesome Sweet looking dime you found there, congrats on that beauty :thumbsup02:

....................................:congrats:

Ill Digger
07-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Thats a nice little surprise George! :thumbsup01: Even if it was pure luck. :lol:
Congrats! :grin:

I know what your saying though. When I found those 2 silver halves ,with those 4 big nails, it was barley a squeak. :huh: :dontknow:
A single little coin next to a piece of iron don't even stand a little squeaks chance. :ticked::hairpulling:

coinnut
07-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Thats a nice little surprise George! :thumbsup01: Even if it was pure luck. :lol:
Congrats! :grin:

I know what your saying though. When I found those 2 silver halves ,with those 4 big nails, it was barley a squeak. :huh: :dontknow:
A single little coin next to a piece of iron don't even stand a little squeaks chance. :ticked::hairpulling:

Yeah, luck had a good deal to do with it, but I'll take them any way I can :lol: I have a lot of old holes that I want to revisit when I am a little better at it. I still haven't played around with the discrimination on the DD coils. The is no real way to discriminate with the mono coils that is reliable. High conductors as well as big nails will sound low to high (pitch wise) and low conductor targets along with small nails and round iron will sound high to low (pitch wise). I was trying to go after the smoother sounding targets and not the ones that sound harsher in tone, but that may not pan out over the long haul. Now if I could only find a 3" DD coil, that would be sweet :drool:

Digger Don
07-13-2014, 07:43 PM
That's a beautiful looking dime. That must have been an exciting moment when you first saw what it was.
Great Find !!!

MangoAve
07-18-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm getting a little tired of digging iron though :rolleyes:

Ain't we all? I'm a little tired of the pull tabs too that happen to ring up in the good range or ones that seem like a nickel. I was sure yesterday a 26-27 was a nickel, but nope.. stinkin' pull tab. Congrats tho on the dime. As you say that we miss things by the iron.. amazing when you see how much coins we pull up and you realize... there's really this much coinage lost in the ground? crazy..

OxShoeDrew
07-20-2014, 03:05 PM
My next hobby is going to be sifting. I'm going to build a portable sifter and hit the cellar lips. Call me crazy. That is one sweet coin George!

coinnut
07-20-2014, 05:50 PM
My next hobby is going to be sifting. I'm going to build a portable sifter and hit the cellar lips. Call me crazy. That is one sweet coin George!

If you are looking for everything, like ceramics, bone, glass, then sifting is the way. But there are better ways to dig a lip. Trust me I know :lol: There are more rocks, roots, etc than meets the eye. Sifting is time consuming unless you are at the beach doing that type of sand....then it's easy ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-20-2014, 07:24 PM
beautiful coin G! so true about iron maskin stuff.glad you saved this beauty!

Twobit
07-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I feel like a hard won beauty like that is the best kind of find. It would be one of those fist pump moments because you know a bunch of other people heard the iron clunk and moved on. I'm impressed with your tenacity...I hope I can mirror it!

kray
07-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Nice dime, George!
I thought those GPX's didn't have great discrimination/tones, but were mainly good in highly mineralized soil. Sounds like a lot of work but glad that it paid off.

coinnut
07-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Nice dime, George!
I thought those GPX's didn't have great discrimination/tones, but were mainly good in highly mineralized soil. Sounds like a lot of work but glad that it paid off.

Ray, The GPX only goes high to low or low to high for tones. It only discriminates with a DD coil. Mono coils are non discriminating. The discrimination is basic but it does ID quite a bit of iron, within a certain depth. I'm not sure how deep it discriminates yet. Just learning this thing, but so far I really like it. Way easier to use than I thought it would be. It loves lead.

kray
07-22-2014, 05:21 AM
George, I hope it works out for you. Its supposed to be a DEEP machine.
Seems a lot of people use them down here in the red iron-rich soil of Va. They dig a lot of iron though.

coinnut
07-22-2014, 05:19 PM
George, I hope it works out for you. Its supposed to be a DEEP machine.
Seems a lot of people use them down here in the red iron-rich soil of Va. They dig a lot of iron though.

Thanks Ray. I'll love it as long as I can keep borrowing it :lol: Then I'll have to save for a while to buy my own. I see the VA videos and they dig monster holes. :shocked03: I guess it's worth digging the iron to get to those deep belt plates :drool:

Cheap Thrills
07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Awesome George , that's a real beauty . You've inspired to get out and move some iron ( even if it's just in my own back yard ) .:lol:

wisconsin digger
08-18-2014, 10:38 AM
We don't have the great age you have to hunt in your area but we definitely have quantity in Wisconsin. Not exactly the same but I have seen multiple instances where I removed a zinc penny or a strong pull-tab signal only to uncover an Indian or silver signal. Last year I dug a solid Clad quarter at about an inch or so and rechecked the hole to see a 12-45 signal deeper and found a Merc literally right under the quarter but quite a bit deeper. I don't know how you clean out all the junk but from your recent find it seems like a worthy challenge. Nice find. WD

BTV Digger
08-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Very nice coin George! Totally agree on the digging iron concept. It boils down to two things IMO. 1) how much energy you're willing to spend, and 2) how much you put value on the old coin/relic. I've had times when I'm willing to go for it, others in which I admit defeat and try the quieter surrounding yard/stone walls. Congrats again on the find.

John