PDA

View Full Version : A Little late, but 3x worth of finds.

MangoAve
07-14-2014, 08:00 AM
There was a big stint where I wasn't out, due to overwhelming blah blah things to take care of, working on the house, and being sick twice. Only one of those was a common cold tho.

Lee and I went out on 5/20 to a park near his house. Neither him nor I had any really great finds, but it was still good to get out and swing the coil with him. He thought it hilarious the find I got. They have fairs or craft shows in the park. I happened to think I had a nice steady reading. I found one end and started lifiting as he was watching me pull this long mic cable out of the ground. I am half way to becoming a Dj now. lol. I found a really bent regular Lincoln and a '61 Canadian and '64 nickel.

Saturday Lou was nice enough to invite me and Kevin along to Maromas. Boy did we get a lot of exercise walking around checking for places. The views were really beautiful there. Lou made the joke about Standy by me as we were walking across the rail road bridge. We started out by the old mill. Besides the few iron I decided to dig, I happened to find an old knife all rusted. There was a rheostat or variable capacitor knob, probably from some really old and antiquated radio equipment but it was definitely for something electronic. There were a bunch of clam shells and pottery in the dirt, but it was easy digging. I found a button near where Lou found his the day before. It was right up near the structure. There is no detail on the front, but it is a single piece design with some detail still left on the back. Therer is a floral ring around the shank and around the outter diameter it says Double Gilt. Lee had informed me that Double Gilt means at some point it was a gold plated button. After we walked to other sites. We found the port. I found the road and the old stone warehouse. There wasn't much around the warehouse except someone's old tent. lol. On the road I found a few pieces of melted aluminum from the fires people had there and one fishing line. Down near the water I found this old 1700's bluetooth headset. I think back then it was called greentooth. :lol:. I charged it yesterday and to my surprise it works. I just needed to check online how to pair it. I found a set of sunglasses too which I told Lou it was 16th century. hahah. We checked a few other spots. Lou was lucky to be the only one to find a coin. It was a 1939 wheat, probably dropped by the soldiers there having war games. There was a ridicamount of blanks, a few .380 rounds, and I happend to find an M16 shell. In the pic of the shells, I think the top piece is some sort of boot plate. With the button, there is a piece of metal as yet to be identified. It is heavy for it's size. It is not aluminum (obvi from weight) or lead as there is no white oxidation. It was mentioned possibly a meteorite based upon the random melt/cooling pattern. I do own a piece of the famous Russian meteor from early 1900's and it is similar. Could just be a random melted piece from casting, but unsure why it would be near a port where no casting would be done.

Yesterday Lee was nice enough to meet me for a few hours. We got out to a park having a lot of history. It was a massive park too. We started out with a few pieces of junk. I was the first to pop out a coin but it was just a 1975 penny. I made the joke when I found a dime that I was ahead of him at 11 cents. He told me he had a nickel too so he was at 15 cents. It was a race to a dollar. haha. Then after a bit out popped a silver roosevelt war dime. He said he been over that spot many times, so proof no one gets every thing. I hit a wheat, 1928. And a while later a indian head. I have yet to determine the date, but obviously before 1909. The last good thing I hit was a small button. I thought I had a trime when I saw that thing. My hopes were up, but alas, just a button. Still a good find tho. Its a button for Chicago radio association of america. The closest thing I found was a radio association from chicago now by a slightly different name that was started in 1924. Lee found himself a really green wheat that you could barely tell what type of penny it was. He found a ring, too, silver. I invite him to post a pic... and any one else to post something from maromas too..

Digger Don
07-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Nice selection of finds. It's always nice to get back out there swinging.
Great job on wheat, Indian & Rosie

Ronandari
07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
glad you were able to get out. I know how it feels to get so tied up that you can't find the time to swing the coil.

Timewarpdigger
07-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Nice finds congrats. Safe & HH

Trooper Bri
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
Great post Jim, nice finds too. The old historic park sounds cool. I can think of 1 place I'd like to hit but wonder if I'd get chased out.

del
07-15-2014, 05:55 PM
congrats on the silver and old button Jim

MangoAve
07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks all. Ron, some of the time was being tied up. The other was incapacitated, which everyone agrees taint fun. For a sec Dan, I didn't realize which button; one is quite a bit older than the other. Silver : The first year the Rosie was being minted. Bri, idk.... if it's public property and not in SW, then you are in the clear. Because I have 3 places to try and get permission in the same area as a town green, I am just waiting to get my A to go ask permission on those places to go at the same time l go to the town green.

BTV Digger
07-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Nice finds. Can commiserate as my busy schedule and a family vacation kept me from getting out for about 3 weeks. Love the button by the way. Best of your finds in my opinion.

John

giant056
07-16-2014, 03:24 AM
Great score on the Indian and rosie :thumbsup01:

The Rebel
07-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Nice finds. If you're hunting along the old RR line along the river I discovered a small old abandoned cemetery years ago.

My buddy used to work for CT Central RR in Middletown (now part of Providence & Wooster RR). He operated the swing bridge.
They had a bunch of a rail crew car collectors and we all went for a ride. As we were going along I saw the cemetery. Always wondered why it was out there, perhaps small pox victims.

Also behind CT Valley Hosp was a silver mine

MangoAve
07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Well.. It looks like you got the same map as I am looking at now. I see the cemetary too by SJ hubbard's place and Hubbard brook. We didnt happen to go near there on Saturday and there is no road near it now. I was curious about the same place as I cant even see it on google maps satellite view. So I guess there is a correction. Lou said the buttons were found by an old mill. There is definitely a large retaining wall there and two close foundations. Maybe it was J Scoville's place. And the "port' was actually the Coal and Stone Dock owned by Scoville and P Brainard. I am curious now on the last thing u posted.....

Just checked on plausibility of it...

MangoAve
07-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Lee (and others)

I finally got a date off the IH. 1890. The park became such roughly 1860-1864.