PDA

View Full Version : hunting fields

sjv
06-10-2010, 07:09 AM
I've noticed a lot of farmers here in Connecticut have planted their Corn and Tobacco plants. My question is whether it is just as good to detect a field after harvest time in the fall? Also, with the real estate market being how it is today, there are a lot of farmland for sale. Are my chances better to obtain permission since the land is gonna be sold anyways? Sometimes a farm is nearby the field but sometimes not. Should I contact the realtor an see if they can ask the seller if it's ok to detect? I've approached the guys on the tractor doing the plowing an usually they say the land's a lease. Does this give them the right to say yes or no? Some don't seem to care and others say I have to contact the owner. It's a field for god's sake, why is it such a hassle. What can they do if there is not a sign posted? Tell you to leave at best, right? Need some feed back guys/ girls.

I've been on private property with permission before and a cop stopped by. The only thing he wanted to know was if the car parked nearby was mine because neighbors thought it might have been stolen and dumped there. Not even a word about the detecting. Thanks people, and for you southerners : Thanks y'all.

Phil
06-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Any time is a good time to hunt fields as long as there are not crops you can damage. I use plat books to find the home sites in fields. I have a plat atlas with maps dating back to 1865 and I also have a current plat book (bought mine from the county extension agent) to show who owns the land. If I find a site on the old maps I can find the owner in the new plat book. For the most part I don't have to do that. I live in a rural area and know many of the farmers. I get permission from the owners, not the people that cash rent the land. As far as detecting on land without permission, I don't know the laws in your area. Around here the least that would happen is you would be asked to leave. More than likely if you are a stranger the Sheriff's dept would be called and you would have some explaining to do. With meth labs all the rage in rural areas, people tend to take tresspassing a little more seriously than they used to. It may be different in your area but why take a chance, buy a new plat book and you will have the land owners names.

Fire Fighter 43
06-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I would not enter any property without permission from the owner. Even public property like schools and parks, its nice to atleast talk to the caretaker and let them know what you are doing. Entering a property or hunting an area that detecting is not permited is bad for our hobby. So, PLEASE ask for permission.

sjv
06-16-2010, 05:28 AM
Yea I understand that, but around here some of the farmland doesn't have a farmhouse nearby or anything, and the ones that do seem to never be around.

A lot of them have Commercial realtor signs and you know how those jerks are or at least now you do.I called one realtor who contacted the owner's and they said they would rather not have me detect. What does that mean? Pass at own risk? lol lol Most of the owners live in other states and lease the land. Maybe I should just ask the person leasing it if I see tractors on the field. They probably will say no problem as long as it's before or after the field is being worked on.

Phil
06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
If you can't find the owner ask the fella that is renting the land. The reason I ask the owners is that I generally know them. If I can't find the owner I would ask whoever is farming the land. If you get permission from the fella working the land you can probably find out where any home sites are located on the ground. Those guys can tell you every place they see broken glass, dishware, brick and other signs of homesites. Hope your luck gets better.