PDA

View Full Version : Another Sunday Wisconsin Hunt / Indians & Tokens - One Good, 1 Bad

Digger Don
07-14-2014, 05:35 PM
We went door knocking up north Sunday morning. At the first old house, Alec dug a nice 1890 Indian and a presidential collector coin. I found nothing but clad including another Kennedy Half and about 100 mosquito bites. We hit another house after we stopped and got some Deep Woods Off. This time I dug an 1896 Indian, 2 wheats, an award medal from a fashion school & clad including another Susan B. Anthony Dollar.

Alec dug a token / Coin that he didn't want to keep once he looked it up and saw what it was. Apparently it is a KKK token from around 1915. In the center triangle are the letters AKIA ( A Klansman I Am ). Although the subject matter upset him, we agreed to keep it for its historical value.

zrickkid
07-14-2014, 06:18 PM
That KKK token should have read FEAR WITHOUT END to more accurately describe their credo. Nice job Don on keeping it im sure you guys had a nice discussion and it was a great teaching moment. Nice finds as well.

Ronandari
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM
The KKK token is a reminder that mankind's history wasn't always pleasant. Nice choice to preserve it. :thumbsup01:.

giant056
07-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Great score on the Indians and tokens :thumbsup02:

Timewarpdigger
07-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Really nice finds and congrats to the both of you.. Safe & HH

Skamaniac
07-14-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm glad you kept it. If history isn't remembered it's sure to be repeated.

Ill Digger
07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Nice job guys!
You guys have done pretty well door knocking. :thumbsup01:
Both of you made some nice finds!
Even though the subject is a little :thumbsdown: I'd say the KKK token is the find of the weekend.
Congrats guys! :grin:

Paul Digs
07-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Nice finds. I agree that you did the right thing on keeping the klan token. The subject matter in ignorent and gruesome but the history needs to be preserved. :interesting:

coinnut
07-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Nice bunch of finds. Metal detecting does not let us forget history no matter how good or bad. I'd keep it too. It would go right next to my Swastika good luck coins that were a shock to me when I first dug them. That made me read about them and taught me something about that time period and others time periods before and after them.

aloldstuff
07-16-2014, 06:56 AM
To bad that the fashion medal wasn't really gold....:lol:

Great that diggerAl had the right opinion of the KKK token but also great that you both decided to keep it. As offensive as it is its also a piece of history

wisconsin digger
07-18-2014, 04:48 AM
Nice hunts. Your finds show the KKK was more than just in the South. I agree it is part of History and should be saved. Great finds WD