PDA

View Full Version : More silver with the GPX

coinnut
07-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Wasn't doing the Pequot hunts today due to scheduling conflicts, so I decided to hit the local holes that have been good to me lately and have produced silver with the CTX and the GPX. I wanted to beat the rain so I started early. Now, I know I can't keep the GPX :crying02: But until I have to give it back, I'm going to test it in the cellar holes when I can. Today I was using a 12x15" Elliptical DD coil and was trying to see how well the machine discriminates iron. I hit the first hole where the CTX found that 1809 Draped Bust dime. The Discrimination works fairly well if anything is in the 4-6" range. The little pieces of iron still fool the machine though. But all you have to do is dig a bit and get closer to the iron and it will then blank (null) it out. It's kinda tricky at first, but doable. I dug a bunch of possible iron targets just to make sure they were iron. They were. Ended up with 3 musket balls, 5 buttons a small buckle and an aluminum wedge. Never seen an aluminum wedge before :confused: I also got this screamer at a whopping 3" :lol: It's worn but I'll take it. Over the years this site has given up a total of 4 silvers, more than any other cellar hole I have done. Sometimes I miss the target ID numbers from the CTX / E Trac, but it is kind of fun not knowing what you are going to find. Brings back the old days :daydream:

Lodge Scent
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Nice job sniffing another small silver out. Is the aluminum wedge you mention just a wood splitting wedge or something different altogether? I've never seen an aluminum one either.

coinnut
07-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Nice job sniffing another small silver out. Is the aluminum wedge you mention just a wood splitting wedge or something different altogether? I've never seen an aluminum one either.

I think it's a wood splitting wedge. It looks like it took the pounding pretty well for aluminum. :dontknow: Cleaned up the half dime a bit better too.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
nice seated! buy a white's will ya?

coinnut
07-15-2014, 07:02 PM
nice seated! buy a white's will ya?

Umm....NO :hystericallaugh:

Digger Don
07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Great job on the Half Dime. That's a beautiful old coin. I hope to find one someday.!!

Full Metal Digger
07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Awesome half dime! What a little beauty you have found. I wonder if the aluminum wedge is for something besides splitting wood? I don't think it would survive the forces of log splitting (having done a bit of it myself). Firemen use an aluminum wedge for forcible entry to a burning structure. It's lightweight and two good hits will pretty much pop open most doors.

BTV Digger
07-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Nice finds and love the coin regardless if it's worn or not. Aluminum wedge sure is interesting. You'd think it wouldn't last long chopping wood given the metal's malleability, but hey, I'm not a metallurgist! :)

John

giant056
07-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Great score on the ole half dime :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
07-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Great job sniffing out that 1/2 dime. The aluminum wedge sure is baffling. Too bad you can't keep the GPX but use it as often as you can.

CTTodd
07-16-2014, 07:10 AM
very very nicely done

Tony Two-Cent
07-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Good job unearthing another cellar hole silver, George! It looks a heck of a lot better than the seated half dime I found! Four silvers from one cellar hole is really good, as cellar holes don't seem to give up silver often.

:congrats:

The Rebel
07-16-2014, 08:37 AM
WTG George on the 1/2 Dime! The wedge sure is a head scratcher.

chief5709
07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Nice finds! that half dime is in great shape. I detected with a group that used the GPX at DIV, really impressive machine in the iron rich soil.

Awesome half dime! What a little beauty you have found. I wonder if the aluminum wedge is for something besides splitting wood? I don't think it would survive the forces of log splitting (having done a bit of it myself). Firemen use an aluminum wedge for forcible entry to a burning structure. It's lightweight and two good hits will pretty much pop open most doors.

I don't think its firefighter's wedge. Too wide and not tall enough. JMO...

Bell-Two
07-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Nice half dime George! Those tiny buggers are elusive. Do you find the GPX heavy?

Thiltzy
07-16-2014, 06:04 PM
I still need to find my 1st half dime! Great score George

coinnut
07-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Do you find the GPX heavy?

Yep, it's heavy with the 12x15 coil on it. :yes: I think half my problem is that I still think I'm 20 and can swing a detector all day long and never stop :lol: I got to learn to pace myself a bit.

I'm thinking the aluminum wedge is probably more of a composite, possibly mixed with magnesium or some other metal. It's feels a little bit heavier than aluminum.

coinnut
07-16-2014, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=chief5709;169277] I detected with a group that used the GPX at DIV, really impressive machine in the iron rich soil. QUOTE]

I've seen some videos from there. Unbelievable depth on bullets in that red soil. I think it goes deeper there than it does here :lol:

Timewarpdigger
07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
Nice find awesome. congrats, safe & HH