PDA

View Full Version : i broke down and made myself a ring from a Morgan

Hook
07-16-2014, 06:30 AM
i just couldnt help myself :lol:. it's big and heavy, but it fits me perfectly and looks great i think. i posted pics of it on another forum i'm on, and a guy from Az. sent me a morgan for me to ring out for him.

mine is the 1890, and his is the 1921. i think they both look great. The Az. guy has to wait a day or 2 more to wear his, since his is still in the mail system on its way to him :lol:

hope you all enjoy the pics!

del
07-16-2014, 06:37 AM
they look great Hook , didn't take you long to master that skill . well done :notworthy:

Hook
07-16-2014, 06:45 AM
they look great Hook , didn't take you long to master that skill . well done :notworthy:

ty Del!! its not all that difficult once you have the right equipment, and you have mutilated a LOT of coins practicing this craft lol. i dont know how many clad coins i totally wrecked before getting it down to where i'm confident on every coin.

but i still blow one up on occasion. but so far, i havent wrecked any big silvers . (knock on wood)

thanks again for the compliment . i appreciate it !

Paul Digs
07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Wow they really lood great. Excelent work!

Nesdore
07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
That is awesome great job :thumbsup02:

Hook
07-16-2014, 01:29 PM
thanks for the nice comments ya'll!

i really enjoy doing this, but it upsets the wife when we're trying to watch tv in the evenings while i'm beating on these rings lol.

sonofdust
07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
That is beautiful Hook, nice work.
GL&HH

giant056
07-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Them Morgan rings are KILLER Hook :thumbsup02:

Jeff (or)
07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Those are excellent! Beautiful work!

Thiltzy
07-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Wow, they came out great...nice job Hook:notworthy:

Twobit
07-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Seriously...just excellent. I have enough hobbies and now you show me this? You could sell those...people would buy 'em up.

Ronandari
07-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Those are beautiful! after looking at these I invested in some of the stuff I need to give it a try. I've been considering it for a while now and will mutilate some clad quarters before I try a silver. Can't wait to give this a try. Thanks Hook for sharing these.

Ron

del
07-17-2014, 03:42 AM
I've heard say the larger the coin the bigger the ring size is , but what if you drill a smaller hole , is the band to wide to wear??

tracyjm
07-17-2014, 12:15 PM
I was wondering the same thing...and yes the rings look very cool!!

I've heard say the larger the coin the bigger the ring size is , but what if you drill a smaller hole , is the band to wide to wear??

POKIE73
07-17-2014, 08:19 PM
they look great i am amazed how good they look you may have some fellow forum members putting in their orders dennis

Hook
07-17-2014, 09:09 PM
thanks for all the nice comments everyone! this is my new hobby now..other than detecting. and it pays pretty good :) ive sold quite a few rings of various sizes, and 2 morgans also. and other orders coming in almost daily . i love this coin hunting hobby!

Del, the size of the hole doesnt mean a wider band, but too large a hole means a narrow band. narrower than it needs to be. the ring size also has a bearing on how wide or narrow the band it .

the larger dollar coins , clad or silver, make really thick wide rings. it takes a large hand to wear one confortably. i wear a clad eisenhower dollar daily, and it takes a little getting used to , to wear such a large ring . and of course i wear my morgan ...as my "dress up" ring lol.

Hook
07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Those are beautiful! after looking at these I invested in some of the stuff I need to give it a try. I've been considering it for a while now and will mutilate some clad quarters before I try a silver. Can't wait to give this a try. Thanks Hook for sharing these.

Ron
Ron, good luck with your ringing bud! do practice a lot on the clad coins before moving to the silver, because if you're like me..you'll mutilate a LOT of coins before getting the process down pretty good. feel free to email me at Hookyisbackxx@aol.com if you have any questions on any steps in the ringing process. i can also give you some tips and tricks if ya want lol. good luck man!!

Ronandari
07-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I'll be getting with you next week Hook after my dapping block and mandrel arrive. I'm looking forward to visiting with you after seeing the quality of the work you are doing. Cheers

Ron

Hook
07-17-2014, 10:55 PM
good deal Ron...i'll be waiting !

coinnut
07-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Beautiful work!! Those Morgan are gorgeous :smitten:That sounds like a good companion hobby to detecting

leslie(nova scotia)
07-19-2014, 01:03 PM
great job. maybe you missed your calling as a jeweler. Thanks for posting!

Ronandari
07-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Well my mandrel and dapping block showed up today so I gave it a try. Here are my first two attempts with clad quarters. It will probably take me a while to practice before I try a silver but this seems like something I could enjoy. I'll definitely be looking for a press.

Skamaniac
07-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Very impressive sir! I've got a new workbench in the shop that might be calling my name when winter hits. Is there a training video you recommend to learn how to do this?

Hook
07-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Very impressive sir! I've got a new workbench in the shop that might be calling my name when winter hits. Is there a training video you recommend to learn how to do this?

Ska...try checking on youtube for Fencekid, and adam mcskinny. those guys have some good vids on how this is done. i learned a lot from both of those guys.
and google coin rings, look for a ryan oshea . in my opinion he produces flawless immaculate rings. of all sorts, types, sizes etc. i just hope one day to be anywhere near his quality of work . good luck getting started! if ya have questions, email me at Hookyisbackxx@aol.com.

Hook
07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
btw Skamaniac...i have another pic to show you. its my morgan next to one i made for a customer. he LOVES his new ring lol.

the 1921 ring is the customers.

zrickkid
07-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Man those are fantastic!

Skamaniac
07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Ska...try checking on youtube for Fencekid, and adam mcskinny. those guys have some good vids on how this is done. i learned a lot from both of those guys.
and google coin rings, look for a ryan oshea . in my opinion he produces flawless immaculate rings. of all sorts, types, sizes etc. i just hope one day to be anywhere near his quality of work . good luck getting started! if ya have questions, email me at Hookyisbackxx@aol.com.

Teriffic! Thanks for the help. :thumbsup01:

Restoring Your Finds
07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Very nice rings ! Congrats on this nice job you did !! Must look awesome on a finger !

Digger Don
07-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Those are very nice rings. I think I might give it a try this winter. Very Cool, Great job

Restoring Your Finds
07-23-2014, 02:25 AM
If I ever get another Morgan (er... never found one but got a couple of them !), I might get in touch with you ! This is really neat !

I also discovered the Hobo rings this year, and I think they are awesome too. :)

Hook
07-23-2014, 05:41 AM
thanks for all the nice comments everyone! i get excited when i make a real nice ring, and always want to share it with others lol. who woulda thought an old cajun like me could do something neat like this? hahaha .HH everyone!!

Ronandari
07-24-2014, 03:34 PM
After seeing those beautiful rings hook, I gave it a shot myself. After a lot of trial and error I am getting the hang of it. At least I am comfortable enough to work on silver halves. Not brave enough or energetic enough to try a Morgan though. Here is a couple pics of the growing inventory. The two gold coins are French 2 and 5 franc coins. They will need to be sealed to keep from discoloring the finger. It is a fun hobby and hopefully I can sell a couple here and there to offset detecting costs. Thanks for looking.

Hook
07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
After seeing those beautiful rings hook, I gave it a shot myself. After a lot of trial and error I am getting the hang of it. At least I am comfortable enough to work on silver halves. Not brave enough or energetic enough to try a Morgan though. Here is a couple pics of the growing inventory. The two gold coins are French 2 and 5 franc coins. They will need to be sealed to keep from discoloring the finger. It is a fun hobby and hopefully I can sell a couple here and there to offset detecting costs. Thanks for looking.

wow for a newcomer to ringing, you sure have progressed a long way! i think those rings look fantastic!:perfect10: i see a benjamin franklin ring in there..from what i see you did really great on it! but do me a favor...dont let it be known just how easy ringing is hehehe shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. it'll be our secret ok?:lol::lol:

Lodge Scent
07-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Wow! Very nice. Can I send you some crusty Large Cents to be made into rings ? ;)

Ronandari
07-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Wow! Very nice. Can I send you some crusty Large Cents to be made into rings ? ;)

:rofl: Sure Lodge Scent. I did one for you this morning. Here are the before and after pictures. :lol::rofl: