PDA

View Full Version : Two coin spill, oldest wheat, merc, and whale tail.

MangoAve
07-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Yesterday I said it and it was true. I didn't waste the day when I got home from work. After relaxing for just a bit I decided to go. The first place I spent 2-2.5 hours there and I didn't have much to show for it. Toward the time I was about to pack up, this old woman from across the street came by to see if I found anything. Her house is around 1830's. Shes going on about how she has a white's, probably 25 years old, thats been sitting in the attic for quite some time. She used it on the property herself and told me she's seen a bunch on the place I was at a few times already. I asked her if she did her own property. It was an 1850 property. I walked away with my oldest wheat, 1914. I also found this weird piece by the tree out front. The tree is maybe 80 years old. It's some sort of whale tail piece. Not sure what its used for. There is an old pump well out front still (but it's not missing a piece). What I found almost reminds me of a large novelty bottle opener. lol.
The second place I went to seemed like virgin property. I spent maybe an hour there and I had much more to show for it. It was a park located probably the third oldest part of town. The oldest being 1630's (which is my next spot to hit). It was located next to a church. The property card for the church says it's newer than 1868. There is a church in the same area on my old map. I saw the heating oil tank out back, similar to the 1704 school house I hit earlier this summer. Fresh batteries and I was ready. The first few hits were just pull tabs. This first coin spill was three pennies. When I dug them, they were literally stacked ontop of each other. Only pennies, but ehh... coin spill. Then I went near this small berry tree. Bam, Merc, 1942. That was actually my first merc. I went near this concrete slab, I saw two signals in the same swing. I pinpointed both. I dug one and it was just a penny. Then I moved to the other. The readings had both been in the full copper range. I started digging. Out popped a wheat. I hit two things with pin pointer. Out popped another wheat. Theres more? Then a regular '65 penny. And again? Another wheat. After swinging for a bit I went back near the small tree. On the other side of it I found an earing. Shaped like a bell with sterling and '331' printed inside. It's older seeing as they rarely use sterling for jewelry instead of 925 (and the 945 in the newer mexican silver jewelry). It was getting dark and my pocket was full. I'll wait but another trip is in order.

Tony Two-Cent
07-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Great bunch of finds! Congrats on your first Merc and your oldest wheat cent! :clapping:

I really like that earring! It is very ornate and interesting. Beautiful!

:congrats:

Digger Don
07-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Wow, What a great hunt you had. Love that earring.
Congrats on your Merc and all the wheats.

zrickkid
07-18-2014, 02:24 PM
My first Merc was a 1942 as well. Great job.

aloldstuff
07-18-2014, 05:21 PM
:congrats:on your 1st merc, may many more get under your coil. The earring sure is interesting, does it ring like a bell?

giant056
07-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Great bunch of finds you got there and congrats on your first merc :thumbsup02:

.................................. :congrats:

Trooper Bri
07-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Nice job with the finds and merc. That bell earring is very cool.

MangoAve
07-18-2014, 07:46 PM
AL, yes there is a clapper inside that moves. Obviously it's no liberty bell but it chimes a little.

Thanks all. The finds are getting better. But it's luck. I went to second oldest part of town. Did a school (a small area) between the fields and what used to be an old church. It's called church street but there is no longer a church there. I think I found the broken window panes in the top layer of soil buy there was nothing but junk and a few new coins in the area I did. I went to a library that was built in 1850 which was right there. Only a penny and a dime. I then went to a spot that was by old wagon roads which are now a small green. And yet again...nothing worth it. Not even research pays off this time. This is why I say it's all luck with MDing.

woody_g
07-18-2014, 08:56 PM
did you check the wheat for a "d" thats a key date coin worth a few bucks.

BTV Digger
07-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Very nice and congrats on your first Merc. Patience and persistence...two must haves in this hobby but you're on the right track.

John

Twobit
07-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Grats Mango,
it looks like you are finding some good locations. I imagine Lee will be asking to join you!

Paul Digs
07-19-2014, 01:07 AM
Wow great finds! And beautiful detail on the earing.:interesting:

del
07-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Jim , the hobby can be very inconsistent at times :rolleyes: . meaning you could research a spot that seems so remote or looks so good , only to find out its a total bust but the area you drive by 100 times ( thats in plain site right off the road bu the way ) that you would think "everybody and their mother" has hit isn't hit at all . its very odd but happens more then you think.

keep at it sir your doing well ;)

lee
07-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Grats Mango,
it looks like you are finding some good locations. I imagine Lee will be asking to join you!
you say that like im a parasite !!!!!
well done jimbo im proud of ya son.....................so.........any chance i can join you.........darn it !!!!!!

MangoAve
07-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Woody, I know one of the spill wheats had a Denver mint. There is another wheat in my specific collection from MDing, but unsure if from this hunt or prior hunt. The merc was only Philly.

The school yard gave me a 1959..One year off from walking away with at least one piece worth digging. But the fact digging any solid copper pennies indicates places weren't hit hard. You never know if it's regular solid penny, wheat, or Indian head until you dig it. So if u find a bit of solid copper pennies, means it wasn't hit or just barely hit.

Lee, answer the phone then. Haha. Or send me a message. I gotta get back out with Lou and Kev and a first with Mike. I thought I was the parasite always going to your places (altho places are too big to hit alone. Acres scoured with an 8-11 inch coil). I will add I'm unsure if the other CT boys are wanting to get out like Dave and the Todds too.

Timewarpdigger
07-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Congrats for the finds. Persistence pays off. Safe & HH

kpmoose
07-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Nice work Jim. That's a cool bell earring & congrats on your first Merc. :clapping:

Luck can certainly help when M'detecting, but I think research and experience will prove to be more advantageous in the long run. I won't speak for you, but I know I have a long way to go and a ton more to learn & that is why I try to get out as much as my schedule allows. I'm off this week, but the family is heading to PA for a few days starting tomorrow. I should be available Thursday afternoon and all day Friday & possibly next weekend should you want to get out together again.

Happy hunting. :detecting:

Twobit
07-19-2014, 11:56 PM
you say that like im a parasite !!!!!
well done jimbo im proud of ya son.....................so.........any chance i can join you.........darn it !!!!!!

Not at all Lee! I just know that you have tremendous luck detecting with noobs like me and don't brag enough about it.

Luck - n. Def: detecting right where inexperienced detectors are hunting and showing them how to find the good stuff.

by the way, did you clean up that penny?

lee
07-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Not at all Lee! I just know that you have tremendous luck detecting with noobs like me and don't brag enough about it.

Luck - n. Def: detecting right where inexperienced detectors are hunting and showing them how to find the good stuff.

by the way, did you clean up that penny?
no i dare not touch it, its pretty toasted but i think thay only made the fugio cent in 1787 so i at least know the date.

MangoAve
07-21-2014, 10:22 AM
no i dare not touch it, its pretty toasted but i think thay only made the fugio cent in 1787 so i at least know the date.

Lee, when did you get this fugio? Back at Maromas this weekend?

MangoAve
07-21-2014, 10:34 AM
I think I'll add to this rather than to start a new thread, esp for the minimum I found. Pennies are not hard to come by. This weekend I only made it to one place. Got an 1918 wheat in way better shape than the 1914 on Thurs. The rim is huge and idk why. I also got a 1967 that was weird. It was caked with some black stuff, maybe sap. There is remnants left but it chipped off with a toothpick. It seems like it preserved the detail. Look at how pronounced the date and "trust" and the right side of Lincoln, compared to the words liberty and In god. It was an old place. 1860 was the oldest structure, but the land was in the oldest part of town. It was listed as a school and there are facilities there like a gym, baseball field, tennis court, bball court, yet after 2 hours I had someone come out to me and say it was state property. I didn't ask who he was and what he does at the school, but he made hints to go. When is a place listed as a public school off limits?

lee
07-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Lee, when did you get this fugio? Back at Maromas this weekend?
no jim a little place just up the road from me like 5mins away.

lee
07-21-2014, 09:02 PM
that little bit of black stuff on Lincolns face makes him look like karl marx....lmao.
my understanding with public schools is exactly that "public" payed for by yours and my tax dollars.
ive had park workers come up to me in state parks and ask "what do you think your doing" my answer ? "at this moment mate, talking to you and digging this hole ","would you like to use my cell phone to report me to the fuzz ?". at this point there usually so confused thay wander off like zombies muttering to there fellow work mates "what did that Australian guy say"..........".IM BLOODY ENGLISH MATE" i shout,anyway i digress.
state or public parks i think are ok but i did hear something about state forests being off limits.
please someone chime in and put us right.
lee

MangoAve
07-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Wow, sometimes you don't realize how much crud just gets caked on coins. Last night I used the hot H202 method to try and clean the find from this week (on another thread). It was still too wiped to get anything. So I figured I would try my oldest wheat cuz I knew it looked a the worst. The peroxide didn't do anything....because there was very little metal exposed. Even 70% isopropyl wasn't doing anything. I decided to use a scope and some toothpicks. To my surprise the crud was able to be chipped away. Amost like the black stuff on the 1967 in this thread. Because of the crud, I was back and forth "is that '44 or '14?It's gotta be '14." There was a spot that was really tough on the reverse near the 'ENT' but it all came off pretty clean. I guess I gotta try this on all the others. Maybe I can get a date off the IH at the last park with Lee. Look at the very first pic on the start of the thread and compare... :shocked04:

MangoAve
07-25-2014, 07:37 AM
IM BLOODY ENGLISH MATE"
state or public parks i think are ok but i did hear something about state forests being off limits.
please someone chime in and put us right.
lee

Let's throw another shrimp on tha barbie. I don't believe the forests are off limits. State forests are controlled by the DEEP and there are seven archaelogical preserves. There is a list on their website the I stumbled upon and none of them are state forests. The only good places in state forests might be picnic areas depending on how long it has been a park, unless there were some houses there at some point in history. Oh, and Fort Griswold is one that is off limits.