PDA

View Full Version : Quick morning hunt yields 1 button

kpmoose
07-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Family plans forced me to a very short hunt again today. Got out for a little under two hours early this morning. I hit the same area Lou (Twobit), Jim Mangoave) & I hit last Saturday. Had mostly junk iron target readings. I dug an oxshoe, a hoe, a bunch of nails, bullets and finally dug a cool button. Anyone seen this one before or have any idea on the era based on the shank style?

MangoAve
07-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Nice find. More ornate that the ones found there before. Hopefully lou sees this next comment. The holes we found were the only ones in the area we checked. There were no more inside the 'circle' we walked. There is one further south on the other side of the first pond. There are two across the street. And there is one further north. We didn't miss spots to check altho we obviously didn't find everything.

As for the button. Wow. It's in good shape. Ever the shank. Maybe the shank style will give a clue. The fact it's single piece makes me think pre 1800. The shank looks a little newer. At first I saw the stars, but when I saw the hearts I knew it was probably on a dress worn for special occasions.

Bell-Two
07-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Now that's a beautiful button!

Timewarpdigger
07-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Nice find and really unusual. There are several sites that may help you date this one. Good luck, Safe & HH

The Rebel
07-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Awesome button! My guess about 1796-1802 as I bet each star represents a state in the union. The 16th State was Tenn.

Trooper Bri
07-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Very nice button moose. Hopefully it gets ID'd. Very interesting design.

giant056
07-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Very nice old button you found there :thumbsup01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-19-2014, 10:25 PM
those may just be dots as the drilled shank is pretty early maybe mid 1700's I would think maybe a bit later.Dan or George will tell ya I'm sure.very cool button kev!

kpmoose
07-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Awesome button! My guess about 1796-1802 as I bet each star represents a state in the union. The 16th State was Tenn.

those may just be dots as the drilled shank is pretty early maybe mid 1700's I would think maybe a bit later.Dan or George will tell ya I'm sure.very cool button kev!

Yes, they look like just dots, not stars. In Rebel's defense, the original photo I posted was a bit blurry. I edited my post with clearer pics. :grin:

Twobit
07-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Which spot did you get it in? Lee and I found more cellars and walls after our epic adventure hike (which was saved by my ingenious short cut :shocked01: ).
We also located an old stone bridge that likely leads out to the other side of the old town and , likely, the old quarry. There is much more to find I think, if you are willing to deal with all the iron trash.

Thiltzy
07-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Wow! Unique button Kev, never seen that style before. The shank looks late 1700's

OxShoeDrew
07-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Sweet button, in nice condition! Maybe this helps

http://books.google.com/books?id=-rHmq8CXIMwC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=cast+drilled+shank+button&source=bl&ots=23AbbDjjax&sig=9XBofrZnly_MC1W3UqMKE8-SA0U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mybMU5mlK9epyATh3oL4DQ&ved=0CCsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=cast%20drilled%20shank%20button&f=false

kpmoose
07-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Sweet button, in nice condition! Maybe this helps

http://books.google.com/books?id=-rHmq8CXIMwC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=cast+drilled+shank+button&source=bl&ots=23AbbDjjax&sig=9XBofrZnly_MC1W3UqMKE8-SA0U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mybMU5mlK9epyATh3oL4DQ&ved=0CCsQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=cast%20drilled%20shank%20button&f=false

Thanks for for that link Drew. It helped a lot to date the button. Looks like it would have been made between 1700 & 1765. Here's the info I extracted from the link you attached. Thanks again.

kpmoose
07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Which spot did you get it in? Lee and I found more cellars and walls after our epic adventure hike (which was saved by my ingenious short cut :shocked01: ).
We also located an old stone bridge that likely leads out to the other side of the old town and , likely, the old quarry. There is much more to find I think, if you are willing to deal with all the iron trash.

I focused my time on the one cellar hole that had no stones. The one that was just a depression up on the flat area above the train tracks & River. We'll definitely have to get a group together again.

Twobit
07-20-2014, 09:46 PM
I focused my time on the one cellar hole that had no stones. The one that was just a depression up on the flat area above the train tracks & River. We'll definitely have to get a group together again.

That's awesome you got it from there. We knew that had to be a good cellar. Guess we didn't spend enough time there. Wait til I show you the spot with the terraced walls on the other side of the road!
lee and I didn't get it hunt it much because we were out of time and dead tired but it seemed very promising.

del
07-21-2014, 02:55 AM
I like it Kevin its a very interesting button but I'm torn about its age though . its has some features that resemble older buttons but some that mimic more modern ones too. I would really like to see it in person sometime , maybe at the next Y.T.C. meeting if your able. can you tell if its made of yellow brass or copper alloy or some kind of "white metal" or other??

Dan

kpmoose
07-21-2014, 07:54 AM
I like it Kevin its a very interesting button but I'm torn about its age though . its has some features that resemble older buttons but some that mimic more modern ones too. I would really like to see it in person sometime , maybe at the next Y.T.C. meeting if your able. can you tell if its made of yellow brass or copper alloy or some kind of "white metal" or other??

Dan

Dan, my original thought is brass, but I guess I'm not 100% sure. Is there a specific way to tell? I'll definitely bring it to the next YTC meeting.