PDA

View Full Version : Farmers market=Coin farming - 7.19

Trooper Bri
07-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Didn't make any plans for this weekend hoping my friend Nate would decide to hit up his hunting area today, would have liked another shot at the barn hole today. But he didn't. Too bad. Cool and cloudy must have made for yet another great Saturday in the woods.
So, did some morning chores instead, including a ride out to Newington to get the parts I need to mod my Ace 350. Wound up checking in on the parents to make sure my To-Do list there wasn't growing secretly, and finally got paroled early afternoon.

There's farmer's markets in the area on weekends, so figured I'd combine some swinging time with a beer run before dinner. The one I picked is a weekly deal in a park next town over. Don't think it's been happening for a long time though. Brought only gear for coin popping (knife and screwdriver), ignoring everything deeper than 2" mostly for now. I budgeted an hour, but went 90 minutes due to finding out the park doesn't appear to get detected!

No pull tabs, but plenty of shallow slaw and foil bits dug, 2 keys, and I blew my PB of $1.16 on my last visit (didn't report) to the carnival field. $2.54! A 1946 nickel, and a 1965 quarter (1 year away...) being the treasure in my trash I suppose.
May have to go back tomorrow, or make it an after work destination. There's still plenty of park to explore (and deeper signals too), I didn't get too far.

Thanks for reading!

Timewarpdigger
07-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Congrats for the finds and good luck on your return hunt. Safe & HH

giant056
07-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Good haul at the farmers market :cool:

Twobit
07-19-2014, 11:40 PM
What, no vegetables? Looks like a fun time. By the way, I did some research on flashing with the ace350. Found out that there are two possible easy fixes:

1) They are very sensitive to a poorly wrapped coil wire. People suggested using tape to keep the wire straight on the first 12" of the shaft and then coil it tightly the rest of the way up, using tape to keep the coil tight.

2). Do a factory reset by holding down the power button until it beeps twice (about 8-10 seconds). It cleared up a lot of people's problems.

good luck!

aloldstuff
07-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Nice haul from the farmers market. Hope the return visit will be as productive.

Digger Don
07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Nice job, that's a nice pile of coins there. Congrats.

CyberSage
07-20-2014, 05:59 PM
...so figured I'd combine some swinging time with a beer run before dinner.

Now your talk'in! Can't go wrong with this combination. Thanks for sharing the hunt Trooper!

CyberSage
07-20-2014, 05:59 PM
...so figured I'd combine some swinging time with a beer run before dinner.

Now your talk'in! Can't go wrong with this combination. Thanks for sharing the hunt Trooper!

Trooper Bri
07-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words all. I know Cladfests aren't the most exciting reads here.

My 350 had been fine Twobit other than what I think is just heavy mineralization in areas. Hard to say for sure when I only have 3 trips into the woods to reference, but it did it at 2 of them. The barn hole site was helpful as the barn foundation was noisy as hell from the iron, but when I got near the house, nothing. Not a peep. Walk out and towards the barn and it's fine again.

I already have the cable strapped to the shaft for a foot, and it's wound pretty tight. 3 more inches of cable and I could wind it 1 more time and be perfect, but not worried. It's not flapping around, or slack.
Plan on being back at both spots, so may experiment with turning the sensitivity way down. Ground balancing it is a mystery as it's supposedly automatic, and I can't see or change the setting obviously. Even the manual is vague. Just turn it on. No pumping the coil, etc? I'll try turning it on with the coil in the air and ground and see if I can get anything better out of it. But I'm not especially worried. I'll even try the factory reset. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What, no vegetables? Looks like a fun time. By the way, I did some research on flashing with the ace350. Found out that there are two possible easy fixes:

1) They are very sensitive to a poorly wrapped coil wire. People suggested using tape to keep the wire straight on the first 12" of the shaft and then coil it tightly the rest of the way up, using tape to keep the coil tight.

2). Do a factory reset by holding down the power button until it beeps twice (about 8-10 seconds). It cleared up a lot of people's problems.

good luck!

Twobit
07-20-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm curious, when you hit iron do you get sudden high pings for silver...or, do you get the silver ping and then sweep again to find out it is actually iron? I'm wondering if that is also caused by mineralization or if I'm having some other issue. Bent nails look exactly like silver to me and take some serious investigation to weed out sometimes. I'm not sure what is causing that issue for me but it feels like a form of torture at a nail infested cellar hole.

though, I'm glad your issue turns out to be only mineralization. Glad to hear it is working out for you.

del
07-21-2014, 06:25 AM
thats a nice haul of clad and a lot of digging Brian , congrats .

MangoAve
07-21-2014, 06:37 AM
I'm curious, when you hit iron do you get sudden high pings for silver...or, do you get the silver ping and then sweep again to find out it is actually iron? I'm wondering if that is also caused by mineralization or if I'm having some other issue. Bent nails look exactly like silver to me and take some serious investigation to weed out sometimes. I'm not sure what is causing that issue for me but it feels like a form of torture at a nail infested cellar hole.

My machine obvi is a different mfr but with mine, it's sudden high pings for silver, and then sweep again to see it's something like a nickel (actual nickel is 24-26, but pull tab is 19-21 and the iron reading is something like 20-23). Maybe the next few swings are silent, then it's now a larger silver number or says it's at 4" and also "deep target". The more steady readings are what I dig. But a note, when I get a soild number in silver or even penny, and I see the detect area is long and narrow I don't dig it. You think nail shape... but for me it's an aluminum can.

Trooper Bri
07-21-2014, 04:11 PM
It'll definitely ping high when I sweep over multiple iron targets, but sweeping back will give me lower tones almost all the time. After that I'll swing the usual 90 degrees, raise the coil a bit, and swing in and out of the target area to get an idea of where the targets are (and how many). See if one hits happier than the others. Takes a little time for sure, but I'm getting better at picking out coins from crap in the parks. Just have to apply it in the woods now.

I think it was coinnut who hit one of his haunts recently, bit the bullet, and cleared out the carpet of nails in a spot just to see if it really was played out. Turns out it wasn't.

But, ya' can't be doing too bad with it bud. Got better crunk than I do. ;)

though, I'm glad your issue turns out to be only mineralization. Glad to hear it is working out for you.

Twobit
07-21-2014, 09:56 PM
It's good to hear it's not my machine! The most annoying part is that I prefer to run in open mode and discriminate out iron as needed. But I still get those tasty sounding pings regardless. If I discriminate for iron then it becomes a painful visual check every single time...which slows me down even more. So I have to live with the constant "ding ding! THUNK" in my headphones. It's like Chinese water torture...

I imagine the experienced old-timers are chuckling to themselves saying, "you will learn in due time young paduan..."