PDA

View Full Version : Cellar holes with Todd & Dan * War of 1812 artillery cuff button * 1837 Large cent

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Me & Todd invited Dan to some cellar holes today.we spotted a couple more in the same area me and Todd have been going to the last 2 weekends & Figured we'd ask Dan to join us.
He was sooo excited about going that he showed up a hour early and had to sit and wait for us to get there! lol
1st site we got to gave up quite a few war of 1812 buttons.Dan had the hot coil on the buttons today.
My cuff button I thought was gonna clean up ok but,it was pretty toasted under the dirt.shoulda just left the dirt on and sealed it.oh well such is life.
got a decent 1837 large cent,a 1863 fatty IH and seen the most spectacular luna moth.never got to see one of these 1st hand and what a beautiful creature it was.might have to call white's and see about my machine as it was acting funny not hitting on targets where it should have been screaming.but,i managed the best i could.Todd had a great day too.

kpmoose
07-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Nice hunt Dave. That's too bad on the cuff button. You're right about the Luna moth- beautiful.

giant056
07-20-2014, 04:26 AM
Great hunt and finds you got there :thumbsup02:

del
07-20-2014, 05:22 AM
Its true when Dave called me and asked if I wanted to detect at these sites they've been doing very well at , I admit I was pretty pumped and didn't get much sleep and even shown up early.:lol::lol:

Dave , I really appreciated the invite to come down and spend the day with you and Todd :notworthy::notworthy:. These two guys can hike , by the way we're even for the "10 mile death march" (man am i out of shape :embarrassed:) . I felt really bad after seeing and realizing how bad your detect was acting , you did amazingly well considering how that xlt was handling :clapping: The matron head is in very nice shape , wished the Artillery button came out better for you.

The Luna moth was huge I'm glad it stuck out from the ferns to get a good picture , it was a great outing for us.

Dan

aloldstuff
07-20-2014, 06:41 AM
Sounds like you guys had fun as usual. Nice group of finds especially that 1837 LC. Wish your cuff button came out better but at least you got it. Is this the first time your machine acted up?

Bell-Two
07-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Looks like a good time for all, nice cleanup on that Large Cent, still a nice button no matter what. I have only seen a couple of those Luna Moths up close and personal and they are really neat to see. Even the "junk" looked interesting!

The Rebel
07-20-2014, 09:03 AM
You did pretty good Dave considering the issues you were having! Is that a root cellar? Also is that long thing a rope tension part for a tent?

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-20-2014, 09:23 AM
thanks everyone ,yep Roger it's a root cellar and yep it's a tent rope tightener

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Sounds like you guys had fun as usual. Nice group of finds especially that 1837 LC. Wish your cuff button came out better but at least you got it. Is this the first time your machine acted up?
thanks! i just got it back from white's but 1st time i have had this issue

Digger Don
07-20-2014, 09:28 AM
It's absolutely amazing to me what you guys find out there and where you find them. I've never seen a cellar hole, and if I did I would probably stand there for a half an hour in awe just thinking about the history and people that built it. Thanks for posting the the pics of the sites. I enjoy seeing them.

OxShoeDrew
07-20-2014, 02:36 PM
A "decent" 1837?? :lol: That coin is awesome!! As to Dan being early, you know..none of us are ever late :cheesysmile: I think I'm the only one that has ever waited for Dan to show up. I'm usually an hour early :shocked04: I'm glad you guys had fun!

Thiltzy
07-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Dave, you did awesome considering the handicap of your machine. The copper looks great and gratz on finally getting a button you wanted

coinnut
07-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Nice '37 LC Dave. At least you know what that button is. Still a great find! :thumbsup01:

Timewarpdigger
07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Congrats for the finds. Not a bad grouping of finds. Awesome!!! Safe & HH

Lodge Scent
07-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Nice digs! Love the button and the luna moth. Haven't seen one of those ( luna moth) in a few years.

don in ny
07-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Nice finds all the way around. I found a couple of those buttons about a month ago. Was quite excited when I found out they were war of 1812 artillery buttons. You must be too. Congrats!

Restoring Your Finds
07-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Very impressive result !!