PDA

View Full Version : Interesting button, and some other items of interest!!

xzlr8n
06-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Went back to a house Don and I hunted the other day, not the jungle!! Pulled an interesting button, that I hope someone here can tell me a bit about. Another find that I thought was cool was the old brass picture frame that showcases my only Wheat for the night, a 1913. The brass frame polished up with my dremel using a rotary steel brush bit. Also found the brass end of an old time Stanley folding ruler and also a buckle of some sort patented in 1907. Added 53 cents to the coin pile too. Enjoy pics.

Cheap Thrills
06-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Interesting stuff X , that button looks like a state seal or something official . Something about it looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it . :dontknow: :thinkingabout: Nice finds !! thumbsup01

Ill Digger
06-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Pretty interesting finds!!
Thats gotta be the smallest picture frame I've ever seen .
And I'm not the one to ask about the buttons history. But its a cool find!!
Congrats :grin:

del
06-11-2010, 06:17 AM
interesting button :yes: the backmark D. Evans & Co. was the last of the Robinson companies and went from 1848 to 1945 . a big range in age but if i had to guess yours looks late 1870's to maybe 1900. cool find for sure Xzlr8n.

Dan

coinnut
06-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks like a NY Button that is pictured on page 213 of Albert's (Bicentennial Addition) Button Book. It's listed as NY102, (New York, New Your City 2 piece flat), but the backmark doesn't match up. The one shown has the identical front but the back says Scovill Mfg Co./Waterbury It is probably that button, since manufacturers were often changed. Nice find!!

del
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
hey George great id on the button :clapping: :clapping: thumbsup01 , so what do you think it went to a city official uniform or something similar :thinkingabout:.

Cheap Thrills
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
hey George great id on the button :clapping: :clapping: thumbsup01 , so what do you think it went to a city official uniform or something similar :thinkingabout:.

Thanks George , I was a bit curious on that one . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

coinnut
06-11-2010, 07:06 PM

I think it's still a Regimental button. :confused: That's the catagory it was under in Albert's I would think NY city would be a major training area for them. Albany is another one that is listed too.

Thanks George , I was a bit curious on that one . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Your welcome ;) Albert's button book is hard to use since you have to look through every page until you find it. I guess some guys can memorize it, but not me lol Nice military button xzlr8n!!

xzlr8n
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the ID George. Cool to find out it's a Military button, Civil War I assume. House was built in the 1850's, but Owego was booming in the 1880's, might be a Veteran's. Owego is near Binghamton which is kind of west and mid way between NYC and Albany. NYC sounds right because of the Dutchmen(??) and Indian figures on the button. Thanks again all who replied thumbsup01 .

coinnut
06-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the ID George. Cool to find out it's a Military button, Civil War I assume.

Too bad they don't date them in the book, but Civil War era and a bit newer would be a good guess. They are probably from some form of military. volunteer or possibly municipal group during that time period. It has them listed under Regimental, but that seems to be a loose term. I would call it military unless someone who collects and has dealt with buttons, tells me different.