PDA

View Full Version : Twobit Lou and MangoAve Jim Join the Fun

OxShoeDrew
07-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Lou, Jim, and I hit a cellar hole this morning and had fun digging many targets. :) There were actually two holes on this abandoned road. One hole was standing as late as the 1930s...and had the associated trash. The pump house was still standing, sorta.
The adjacent, older hole had very little trash and lots of keepers.:loveit: I found the CT copper on the lip, and the coin with the pig-tail was about 2o yrds away. Anyone know what kind of coin that is? The 188? IH was on the road. I spent about 6hrs at the site. Had a great time guys, we'll have to do it again.:yes:

chief5709
07-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Not sure what you've got there, but nice finds!!

Digger Don
07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Congrats on some great finds.
My favorite is the colonial scout piece. :lolsign:

MangoAve
07-22-2014, 02:50 PM
If the bottom pic is the second copper that you say has the 'pony tail', then it def is a different year king George. It's a right facing bust, the ct coppers were left facing. But each of them were different readings with my machine, and different than my coin.

Thanks Drew for inviting us. You cleared all those buttons and left only one for lou.

del
07-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Jim on Connecticut coppers the bust can face either directions but Drew's copper in the bottom picture is a William III half penny possibly from 1696 to about 1701.

OxShoeDrew
07-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks Chief and Don, I might have dropped that scout neckerchief slide. :lol:
Dan, I thought that second coin could be a 1600s as my other two 1600s coins have a blueish tint to them. They look more bronzy than coppery :lol:...and they get super smooth. Thanks for the ID.:beerbuddy:
Jim, your coin was super low sounding, low 70s (100 scale) as I recall. Dan, could it be a counterfeit?

Trooper Bri
07-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Looks like a few nice finds today fellas, congrats. Guess that is an old cellar.

Thanks for the invite Drew, sorry I couldn't ditch work. I've pulled the fire alarm 6 times already this year, and I think they're catching on. Gotta lay low for a while. ;)

del
07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Jim, your coin was super low sounding, low 70s (100 scale) as I recall. Dan, could it be a counterfeit?

I'd have to see it Drew some Connecticut's can read into the low 70's but if it was a British copper then there's a good chance for it to be a counterfeit .

Twobit
07-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Had a great time Drew! We met that woman you dreaded as we were leaving....it wasn't pretty.
anyway, I hit a little hole at the gateway to the property and just kept digging up these mystery items. Turns out they are modern "lift the dot" fasteners for tarps and cloth. Weird..they were at button depth for the site.
At least I got a big silver piece...sadly it was a Big Y coin! Found it along the wall too. I have the strangest luck. The button appears to have been gilt although it is mostly gone on the front. The front has a weave pattern on the front and the hallmark on the back says, "Best Quality".
The half circle object is interesting. At first I thought it was a coin cut in half but it is too thick. Perhaps it is a crude coin as there appear to be some indistinguishable markings on it.
not sure how I find so much modern stuff while swing the coil in the same general locale as a guy who is pulling ancient coppers out of the ground. Gotta love being the new guy!

OxShoeDrew
07-22-2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks Dan, Jim will probably post it.
Next time Brian, never hurts to ask. :)
Lou, you found a BIG Y token?! That thing is probably worth more than any item found today :lol:
It was nice meeting you...We'll do it again soon!

Bell-Two
07-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Great looking bunch of finds! Amazing the stuff that comes out of those eastern cellar holes!

lee
07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I HATE BIG Y TOKENS !!!!!!!!!......i have been fooled twice by them,seeing the readied edge and screaming......."MORGAN.....MORGAN".
nice bunch of finds lads.
im off tomorrow if anyone wants to hunt.

Twobit
07-22-2014, 06:52 PM
I cleaned up that funky half circle item and I'm pretty sure it has teeth marks on it from being bitten and bent in half. Why do I get all the really weird stuff? Ask Lee, he has seen it happen. Great signals always turn out to be oddities.

Twobit
07-22-2014, 06:54 PM
I can join you at a park..my daughter will be with me. She likes hunting with me because she thinks I'm looking for the worms. She collects them and talks to them in this comforting voice. Weird four year old...

No traipsing through thick vegetation though.

OxShoeDrew
07-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Thank you Tony, Lee. One day we'll meet up Lee.
Dan, I thought that pigtail on the William 3rd looked familiar...I found one a few months ago. :grin:
Same area that can be seen. The reverse of this new one has the arm and branch. Thanks again for the ID.
...and Lou, what's wrong with vegetation?! :lol:

Twobit
07-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Thank you Tony, Lee. One day we'll meet up Lee.
Dan, I thought that pigtail on the William 3rd looked familiar...I found one a few months ago. :grin:
Same area that can be seen. The reverse of this new one has the arm and branch. Thanks again for the ID.
...and Lou, what's wrong with vegetation?! :lol:

...dragging a a four year old through it.... Aside from that I love it. It makes the hunt more intriguing. Flat park greens don't offer as much mystery as stony fields overgrown with fern.

The Rebel
07-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Great hunt guys! Those targets are good sign that it hasn't been hit before.

Twobit
07-22-2014, 10:01 PM
That's exactly what Drew said when I found that button right at a gateway into a pasture. There were signs people had hunted there before but they pulled up huge iron, like a bed frame and stove pipes. I'd love to go there with you real cellar hole killers (Drew is one of them of course) and see how it is done.

Lodge Scent
07-23-2014, 08:29 AM
Nice digs Drew. Great recovery on that old William III !

MangoAve
07-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Dan, I knew that there were many varieties of the CT copper but (even though I was incorrect thinking it was a King George, due to the fact the CT copper was closer in minting periods) there is a way you were able to tell it wasn't a CT copper. I think the pony tail was wavy too on the CT coppers, not trapezoidal. I think the CT only had one year where it was facing right.

Anyway... Here is a link to the pics so you can determine if counterfeit as Drew has mentioned as a possibility. Realize too that both of his coppers were different readings themselves and both higher than mine. There is a pic of the coin, which I didnt clean more than using a soft toothbrush, next to the 1787 I found. The coin I got this time seems to have been layered as you can see around the edges. It almost looks like paint chipping off and the inner core oxidized in a different way. Where it was scratched, you can see it's definitley copper.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?15851-A-trip-into-the-woods-with-Lou-and-Drew-Triple-coppers-and-some-crazyness-afterward&p=169906#post169906

Lou, that was an ordeal after. ugh... some people. I still like the way those things you found look even if they aren't old. I did think they looked painted, and of course you did get words off the back when you cleaned it up. lol. The Big Y coin was big silver. haha. And Lee, those coins used to be good too. I worked there thru HS and college. They used to be worth more than they are now. You used to be able to get a free slice of pizza with them (great for break time). Now they are pretty much the same as a coupon.

kpmoose
07-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice finds. Looks like a good time was had by all. How about elaborating on the woman you ran into on your way out. Sounds like it would be a good story. :cheesysmile:

Twobit
07-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Well, have you ever met someone who had clearly made the decision to be a miserable cur for their entire existence? We did! Drew warned us because he had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with her in multiple capacities in the past. When he realized the property adjacent to the site was hers he did his due diligence to make sure it was public property before returning. She did not agree with his assessment.
When Mango and I returned to our cars we were greeted by her speeding up to us and wailing. It's an interesting sight to see a morbidly obese woman shouting angrily over the windshield of a subcompact car.

she interrogated us on what we were doing, told us she wrote down our license plates, insinuated we were probably in the woods doing heroin, but then admitted she knew exactly what we were there for and assumed Drew had been with us. I told her that, according to the GIS the property was public and our cars were parked on a public road and she raved, "well I'm going to call the town and they will tell you otherwise!" I said, "The GIS is the towns database....it's what they will check when you ask them."
She went apoplectic and said,"no, that's different!"
Then another guy shows up (she called him) and his version of who owns which property is completely different from hers. He admits where we were was public but claims that the area at the road is private and we can't cross it. Then he claims he was "involved in law enforcement" (total lie) and threatens to shoot us if we go onto his property. I explained to him that both telling someone you would shoot them and shooting them because they are on your property are illegal in this state and he tried changing the parameters of the situation to show how, if we were vandalizing his car, then he could shoot us. I explained that it was still illegal and he spouted nonsense about "being with law enforcement" again. When he asked us what we were doing and I told him he put his head down and laughed a little. It was clear that he had been mislead by the crazy woman. Still, though, he kept up his charade...just with less gusto. He explained that they had some problems with troublemakers using that area for nefarious purposes. I said, "do I look like a heroin addict to you?"
he also claimed that state police were on their way. When we didn't rush out he stopped playing that card. All in all it was one red-faced, nasty woman and a redneck who she called trying to scare us off. I felt confident in Drew's research and didn't fear.

you know what they say about arguing with stupid people.....
I did my best to be civil and not take the bait. I figured that, although we were in the right, being a cretin would spoil Drew's site for the future. It sure would have been fun to use the Socratic method on them though. Gotta get something out of my philosophy degree!

kpmoose
07-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, have you ever met someone who had clearly made the decision to be a miserable cur for their entire existence? We did! Drew warned us because he had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with her in multiple capacities in the past. When he realized the property adjacent to the site was hers he did his due diligence to make sure it was public property before returning. She did not agree with his assessment.
When Mango and I returned to our cars we were greeted by her speeding up to us and wailing. It's an interesting sight to see a morbidly obese woman shouting angrily over the windshield of a subcompact car.

she interrogated us on what we were doing, told us she wrote down our license plates, insinuated we were probably in the woods doing heroin, but then admitted she knew exactly what we were there for and assumed Drew had been with us. I told her that, according to the GIS the property was public and our cars were parked on a public road and she raved, "well I'm going to call the town and they will tell you otherwise!" I said, "The GIS is the towns database....it's what they will check when you ask them."
She went apoplectic and said,"no, that's different!"
Then another guy shows up (she called him) and his version of who owns which property is completely different from hers. He admits where we were was public but claims that the area at the road is private and we can't cross it. Then he claims he was "involved in law enforcement" (total lie) and threatens to shoot us if we go onto his property. I explained to him that both telling someone you would shoot them and shooting them because they are on your property are illegal in this state and he tried changing the parameters of the situation to show how, if we were vandalizing his car, then he could shoot us. I explained that it was still illegal and he spouted nonsense about "being with law enforcement" again. When he asked us what we were doing and I told him he put his head down and laughed a little. It was clear that he had been mislead by the crazy woman. Still, though, he kept up his charade...just with less gusto. He explained that they had some problems with troublemakers using that area for nefarious purposes. I said, "do I look like a heroin addict to you?"
he also claimed that state police were on their way. When we didn't rush out he stopped playing that card. All in all it was one red-faced, nasty woman and a redneck who she called trying to scare us off. I felt confident in Drew's research and didn't fear.

you know what they say about arguing with stupid people.....
I did my best to be civil and not take the bait. I figured that, although we were in the right, being a cretin would spoil Drew's site for the future. It sure would have been fun to use the Socratic method on them though. Gotta get something out of my philosophy degree!

:lol: :hystericallaugh: I knew it would be a good story. I love people that are mad at the world. I try to nice them to death when I encounter them. Sounds like you guys handled it well.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-24-2014, 06:33 AM
sounds like the same lady Dan,RI Terry me and jesse dealt with a couple years ago.nice finds fella's

MangoAve
07-24-2014, 06:44 AM
I just kept quiet. I didn't wanna give them any fuel. Even if I say something correct they would have just told me I was wrong and added more bs. Just the same with the guy when he told you being on his property he would shoot you, and then you told him it's illegal to do so he tried to find a way to twist what he was saying. As far as her, that is what I meant by "some people." I don't know whether she feels she exists to make other's life hell, or she feels bored with her own life that she needs drama. This isn't middle school anymore. Lou, you did forget the redneck mentioned there were break-ins lately, the standard answer to similar situations. He also claimed he worked for the town offices besides also working for law enforcement.

You always think of things afterward to say. We could have told her to prove her property using any of her documents of her property and we could have used the GIS. We had the equipment we could have found the property pins. In this state, trespassing is only such when there are fences or no trespassing signs on the property. Or if there are no such deterrents, the owner of such property or a person of authority has to tell you that you are. It doesn't work if my neighbor directly says to someone that they don't want them on my property. How do you think a postal worker is allowed to walk onto your property to deliver mail? Because they happen to be a government employee allows them access to your land? :hystericallaugh: No, if you don't want them, you have to put up a fence or tell them not to go on land( AND you would have to provide a mailbox by the street for them.) I read the general statute, although it's not specific to include the previous example. I would have also thought to tell her falsifying a report to police is an offense that she can be prosecuted for. Not by us; by the state's prosecutor. It is similar to the new thing of swatting. I know she was acting pretty stupid, but it doesn't excuse her for willingfully trying to put us through an ordeal just because she didn't like people NEAR her property. I do have my neighbor that works as an officer for Torrington (this is honest, unlike the redneck's blah blah). I have to ask him the legality of having a 'friend' run plate numbers. I really think that is an abuse of power by whomever did it for her. (However, sadly I don't think that part matters to anyone concerned)

del
07-24-2014, 06:45 AM
sounds like the same lady Dan,RI Terry me and jesse dealt with a couple years ago.nice finds fella's

sure does Dave , I thought that lady was going to follow me all the way home :lol:

lee
07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
easy cure to this lads, take a cockney with you next time .....im sure you have seen the movies lock stock, and snatch....welcome to my world.

MangoAve
07-24-2014, 08:49 AM
easy cure to this lads, take a cockney with you next time .....im sure you have seen the movies lock stock, and snatch....welcome to my world.

Haha. You think you are Jason Statham or Vinny Jones? Well, you do look more like Vinny...

The Rebel
07-24-2014, 10:23 AM
WOW, isn't it GREAT to be popular!:lolsign:

Trooper Bri
07-24-2014, 06:32 PM
I was hoping there was a good story behind this. Awesome!
Did he really use the word "nefarious"? Not sure I've heard that word spoken aloud outside of a movie. Plus he was going to shoot you and had the state police coming. He had all the bases covered, bravo.

Now I really want to hit this place. We'll park locally and pile in my car. Maybe that'll shut them up. :devilish:
And the answer to your next question is no, I am not. The nickname was given to me in 2002, and the car is a recent coincidence.

Twobit
07-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Bir, "nefarious" was mine. Can't help myself with the verbiage. I'm an English teacher, it's all I have!

MangoAve
07-25-2014, 06:29 AM
Bri, "nefarious" was mine.

Yeah, I would have been shocked the guy would have known this word. It might have made the story more amusing if he did. I used obstreperous as a username for online gaming and one time I had to hear "I know what that word means. What, did you have to look that up in a dictionary? ....(cuz that's what I had to do)"

giant056
07-26-2014, 05:17 AM
Great bunch of finds you got there Drew :thumbsup02 I like the copper :grin:

OxShoeDrew
07-26-2014, 06:07 AM
You notice I left just before all heck broke out? :lol:
Rookies :lol:

Timewarpdigger
07-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Looks like you had a great day, congrats. Safe & HH

Twobit
07-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Holy cow! Why didn't someone crack on me for talking about being an English teacher and doing a typo at the same time? I deserved it!

Drew, clearly your sixth sense is not limited to locating coppers. You sure did know when to go!

OxShoeDrew
07-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Holy cow! Why didn't someone crack on me for talking about being an English teacher and doing a typo at the same time? I deserved it!
The "Bir" instead of "Bri?" I didn't even notice it. But now that you point it out... :lol:

MangoAve
07-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Lol. U didn't notice I fixed it in the reply? I didn't bother to rag on you about it.

And lou, I think drew set us up. :lol: