PDA

View Full Version : New Pequot hunt and a pretty decent day

coinnut
07-24-2014, 08:58 PM
I had a pretty good day at the Pequot hunt today. I was worried that these fields would stop producing, since we have been over them a bunch of times. But because of how the land is situated, it is very difficult to go over every square inch of the place. So I decided to go after areas that were on the fringe of where we think the column of men ended, giving us some boundaries. I did this for the last 3 hunts and it produced just a few round ball and maybe a scrap of brass or two. Today was the exception to the rule :yes: I started slow with just a round ball and a nice cloak button, but soon added an odd brass object that I have found there 2 times before. If anyone has any guesses on the thin long brass piece, let me know. Later I switched to another section and hit a hot zone. First hit was a possible lower section of a point, then possibly my 3rd Jesuit ring. :happy:This one is circular in design. I can't rub it so I wasn't able to see for sure, but it looks the part. Then a thimble (2nd one), more round ball, more scrap brass, and finally a cylindrical shot. (3rd one from this site). A couple more buttons round off today's hunt. I expected meager finds but had a day better that I expected. Tomorrow is another story :lol:

CTTodd
07-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Very fine day. Funny how they just seem to produce and produce.

aloldstuff
07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
Good thinking on getting into the fringe areas. Some nice finds and I think you are right about the ring. You stated that you can't rub the ring, why??? Rules of the group you are helping out??

OxShoeDrew
07-25-2014, 05:41 AM
Seems like you are very comfortable with that machine. Was the ring brass George? Nice job!

fsa46
07-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Always enjoy reading your Pequot hunt results. Outstanding day . Were you still swinging the GPX on this hunt ?

MangoAve
07-25-2014, 06:12 AM
I would like to know what the brass pieces I find are, too George. I found about three of them. What I found were tubular and the metal was folded to have a seam down the length. Most of the ends were...crimped.. as when you fold a piece of pipe and it breaks at the fold. One had the non-'crimped' end with two rings. I know I found one at the cellar holes tuesday and the one with the rings I found in a park with Lee. It's like a 1/4" outter diameter and 6-8" long. Yours just has been oxidized more.

Lodge Scent
07-25-2014, 11:06 AM
That is awesome George. What's the story with cylindrical shot? Why was it used instead of a round ball?

Bell-Two
07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Nice job of saving that history!

coinnut
07-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Al, we can't rub anything because it has to go to the lab to be conserved. One of the points originally found at the fort years ago, was looked over at the lab and had some kind of resin on the point, possibly to help keep whatever wrapping is holding the point secure. If we had rubbed it, we would have lost that bit of information. So no rubbing anything. It makes for boring pictures :lol:

Drew, Yep it's brass. t looks like a toy ring you would get as a Cracker Jack prize.

Frank, Yep, the GPX. I had it surgically attached to my shoulder, so they could not take it back :shocked01: I was using a large DD coil, so I could at least discriminate the shallow iron.

Jeff, People have always experimented with that type of shot. I believe it is still used in some types of competitions. Some say it stays truer when fired, others say it was used in battle to tumble and inflict more damage. I think the guy just brought what he had at home, in addition to the allotted rations they were issued. You're a long way from England if you run out of lead :shocked04:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-25-2014, 08:28 PM
awesome relics dude!

coinnut
07-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks Dave.

Today's hunt yielded 5 round ball and 2 scraps of brass. I'm posting pics of all of them so that you can see what we look for on this type of project. If you ever have a chance to volunteer in assisting archaeologists, you will be amazed how happy you will be if you find a musket ball or a scrap of brass :lol: Things that we find and usually don't think twice about, become part of the story here. Once plotted on a map, you can tell a lot about a particular event. Just a lot of fun to do.

kpmoose
07-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Awesome finds George. I like the leaf idea for the photos- gives it good contrast to see the relic more clearly. Just stay away from the poison ivy leaves. :shocked04:

BTV Digger
07-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Love the relics and love the old musket balls.

John

Timewarpdigger
07-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Again thanks for taking the time to bring back the history. Safe & HH