PDA

View Full Version : Age of Buckle?

MangoAve
07-26-2014, 10:54 PM
Today I managed a short hunt. I went to a small park in the oldest part of town. I was thinking to check how the finds were before texting to see if I can have someone join but there wasn't much for finds. There was one thing I think was big that I had to give up. It was under some old roots and I just could not get to it. I don't think it was a coin that i gave up tho. There were mostly modern pennies and i just decided not to dig them. I found one buckle there. Afterward I went across the street to an antique store just for the heck of it. The next spot was back to where I had a lot of luck. Well, the luck ran out. Or I hit the place hard last time. There were some coins but unfortunately all modern. When I was ready to leave I put the stuff in the car and walked to the nearby cemetery. It has been so long I was unsure it was the same. I took a walk over to the veteran section and I did find my grandfather's grave. Let me clarify, I was only in the park while detecting and no one would have mistaken for where I was detecting. Anyway, any idea of the age of the buckle? I swear I have seen something like this before.

del
07-27-2014, 02:08 AM
Jim it looks turn of the century (1900 era) maybe from a womans garter belt , corset or similar.

Bell-Two
07-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice little buckle!

BTV Digger
07-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Very nice and also think it looks like a clip from an old garter belt.

John

MangoAve
07-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks all. And Dan/John for id. At least not that bad of a find. Afterward I was thinking it could have been from like a tent bag but I knew not from backpack. It's been a while plastic was used. Then it hit me, it has to have two strings/ropes/pieces that meet. Prompted the thought like for a ribbon on a hat. Wouldn't have thought of corset or garter belt.