PDA

View Full Version : Interesting check of my machine

MangoAve
07-28-2014, 06:40 AM
Just for the heck of it I took all the possible coins (except a gold coin which I don't own) and got the numbers that they register at on the Time Ranger. I kinda did it with a few coins before to get an idea but now there is a list. As I stated in another thread about processor bit size, 16 vs 32, well, even tho mine has 16 bits, it only provides 8 bit resolution. Anyone with a scale of 0-100 on their machine has even less resolution (but the numbers fluxuate more with higher resolution). It still utilizes 8 bits but the software scales the numbers. I knew this before taking measurements, but I was a little shocked. For a big $1 coin, it reads only around 145 while my resolution (scale) goes up to 255. There is only a window of about 50 counts between a dime and a dollar. With any silver, it will register just slightly higher than a clad of the same type. Steel pennies won't register at all except for a few pops..it is iron based...I wonder how many of those get passed over. My machine discriminates iron automatically. The unit goes into that mode when first powered on. I have gotten pull tabs that are 30's and 40's range and sometimes even 60's for a penny. I never dig those pull tabs. But sometimes I get 19-21 reading pull tabs. The 14kt rings I found to be 17-21. The slightly smaller ones are 17-18 and will be discriminated out automatically. The slightly larger rings will just barely register. I wonder how many rings I passed over in parks because of this. I'm sure this finding can be applied to understanding other manufacturer's machines, not just Bounty Hunter. Now I know why sometimes people run their machine in all metal modes. The manufactures give the extra window at the end for relics.