PDA

View Full Version : July 28th finds from the same park I hunted the day before

giant056
07-29-2014, 03:20 AM
Whenever I go to a hammered out park or spot I'll always look for a spot where it's most unlikely that many people have detected, well I decided on a spot right next to a parking lot there and I'm glad that I did cause I managed to score me another silver. A good friend of mine showed up too just to tag along because he couldn't detect with a pinched siatic nerve (bending down and standing up can be a chore in this condition), when I dug the quarter I think my friend was as excited about it as I was.

BTV Digger
07-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Congrats and nice looking Washington. Agree with the old park technique in getting off the beaten path. Any idea what the large triangular thingy is?

John

giant056
07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Any idea what the large triangular thingy is?

John

It looks like #4

Tony Two-Cent
07-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Congrats on the silver quarter! :clapping:

Nesdore
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
nice silver quarter :congrats:

aloldstuff
07-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Way to outthink the other's. Nice quarter, looks like some doubling on the motto "In god We Trust"

giant056
07-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Way to outthink the other's. Nice quarter, looks like some doubling on the motto "In god We Trust"

Every now and then my camera will give the illusion of doubling and I think that it's usually when I use a slower shutter speed, here's a closeup with a faster shutter speed and you can see that it's not doubled.

Timewarpdigger
07-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Congrats for the silver GW. Safe & HH

Digger Don
07-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Great score on the silver. The #4 looks like it may have fallen off a mail box.

Jim D
07-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Nice finds!:congrats: on the silver quarter! HH

Skamaniac
07-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Nice old quarter.

giant056
07-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Great score on the silver. The #4 looks like it may have fallen off a mail box.

Isn't it weird how stuff winds up next to a city park like that, Richard (that guy that was watching me detect) was telling me some things about the park that I never realized, I never knew that the park had been there since 1910 and he was telling me some tales about detecting it in the 70's when there was lots of silver to be found. It's a huge park and at one time had a zoo there, I was a kid back then still in grade school when they closed down the bear den cause people were sneaking in tantalizing the bears, I think that about the last animals they had there were monkeys and that was in the early 60's. In the low lying areas of the park you're literally walking on a bog, in the boggy area is where I found a silver dime recently but when I found the quarter I was high and dry up on a hill.

MangoAve
07-31-2014, 08:39 AM
Al, I didn't notice from the second pic until I read your comment. Obvi Giant already replied, but I saw the first pic, which the coin looks way worse shape than the second pic, that there was no doubling. They seriously don't look like the same coin. Only if my camera could turn a clad into a silver then I would be all set. :lol:

Isn't it weird how stuff winds up next to a city park like that, Richard (that guy that was watching me detect) was telling me some things about the park that I never realized, I never knew that the park had been there since 1910 and he was telling me some tales about detecting it in the 70's when there was lots of silver to be found. It's a huge park and at one time had a zoo there, I was a kid back then still in grade school when they closed down the bear den cause people were sneaking in tantalizing the bears, I think that about the last animals they had there were monkeys and that was in the early 60's. In the low lying areas of the park you're literally walking on a bog, in the boggy area is where I found a silver dime recently but when I found the quarter I was high and dry up on a hill.

Giant,

Yeah.. It is weird how some things end up in a park. Way back when I hunted with Lee at his neighbor's house I found a flat piece of metal with holes in it. It was assumed at first that it was a harmonica reed. It wasn't until a that night when I was taking pics I saw it was a plate with the number 41. The park I went back to this past weekend, I found another similar piece. It was red/orange and it had the number 54. (no it wasn't for studio 54). I have no idea what they are for tho. Can't be house numbers as they have tabs at each end to fold over some other material. And like you said, I did start off near the parking lot the second time and found a few quarters. All clad tho.

don in ny
08-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Always nice to bring home the silver. Smart detecting if you ask me by hunting where others don't. In the last few days I found a Walker and SLQ under a bush that nobody wanted to hunt. Last night I pulled an 1865 Indian 6' from the road as most walk into the woods before turning on their detector.