PDA

View Full Version : Very nice ending to an event

coinnut
06-11-2010, 08:12 PM
As some of you who know me have known, a good friend of mine died last November at the age of 48. It devistated a bunch of us and also his wife and 14 year old daughter. We have been working on a benifit for her future needs, (car, college, etc...) and it finally happened on June 5th. That was her 15th birthday and we all got together and rented an Elks Club pavilion and went to town lol Some guys built a stage, put up a huge circus like tent, Bought enough food for 400+ people, set up raffles, kids corners, etc... you name it. The event was a great success as 5 bands showed up plus individual musicians, and a regrouping of a couple of Pink Floyd tribute bands that merged to show their respects for our friend. He was a keyboard player in a Floyd tribute band also and one picture captures his brother playing the guitar while the slide projector above shows our friend Steve on the tent ceiling playing his keyboard. An all day affair, and even though it rained a bit, it was a great day :happydance01: The auction sold a complete Gretsch Drum kit, an Ovation semi acoustic guitar, some congas and lots of other prizes that were donated 68 in all !!!! Now I know some of the kind people on this forum, so I would just say this ahead of time. I can't take any donations for this event on here. I know some of you would have offered after reading this. Thanks if you would have given. But remember, there is always someone near you that could use a helping hand. So take a look at some of the pics from that day and remember Life is short, so enjoy it with loved ones and doing the things that make you happy.

magic
06-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Looks like a great time and a good cause. I am glad it went well.

del
06-11-2010, 09:50 PM
hey George sorry about the loss of your friend (good pictures by the way), what you and Beth did for his family was a great and honerable thing and from what you said you all raised for the cause was outstanding . i know it was a stressful few weeks for you two of preparing for the whole ordeal but you did great now relax and get back to detecting to make that 50 copper claim.

Dan

Ill Digger
06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss bud.
You guys did a great thing!! :clapping:
And you know it's greatly appreciated :yes:
and like Del said

...now relax and get back to detecting to make that 50 copper claim.

angellionel
06-12-2010, 09:08 AM
My sincere condolences, George. The family is blessed to have such great friends. The event was a success, and it will be one the family and all involved will not soon forget. Great job!

Cheap Thrills
06-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Out of sadnness and tragedy an outpouring of love and compassion . The living must hold each other up . God bless and lighten the load of his loving family and friends .That was truly a celebration of his life . May he rest in peace .

Baba

SeabeeRon
06-12-2010, 04:35 PM
What you all did for his daughter and widow will always be remembered I am sure!! This forum has some truely awesome people, proud to know you thru here!

Epi-hunter
06-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm sorry for your loss George. That is way too young for someone to die. Still should have half their life yet to live, but we can never count on anything. Only thing you can be sure of is this minute. Make it count.... you are right.

That had to be an incredible organizational feat... food for 400 people, and the rest of it.

You have a heart of gold. :) Did you dust off your guitar and play? :cheesysmile:

tanacat
06-12-2010, 08:32 PM
So sorry about your friend, that is way young to go crying01 What a wonderful event, big turn-out! I'm glad it went well & woo hoo to the Pink Floyd music :yes:

coinnut
06-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Did you dust off your guitar and play? :cheesysmile:

rofl Are you kidding? There were real musicians in the room. I knew better ;) I couldn't have done it even if I wanted to. A lot of seasoned guys had a rough time keeping it together. :yes: But you are right about the dust on my guitar though lol