PDA

View Full Version : Roscoe Turner's 57 Flying Corps - 7/30

Trooper Bri
07-30-2014, 06:03 PM
With this awesome weather, I'm sneaking in a few swings here and there this week.

Stopped after work today at an old one room schoolhouse that sits on a decent sized lot, had 45 minutes to play. No doubt the place has been hit to death (saw a guy swinging there a week or two ago). Didn't take long to figure out that yep, it's kinda hammered. Soooo, said heck with it and worked the perimeter hoping nobody wanted to swing near the chain link fence.

Made the right choice. A Col Roscoe Turner's 57 Flying Corps pin right off the bat. From the 30's, and offered as silver or gold plated. Don't think mine is gold. Gold hates me too. :lol:
10 minutes later I joined the Wheatie Club. Crusty or just toasted, think it's 1926. Looks like I have my first candidate to experiment cleaning on.
Sorry for the lousy pic. Should have taken the macro shots outside in the sun, but I was cooking dinner at the same time.

Interweb pic:

aloldstuff
07-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Nice finds and good choice to check the perimeter. Good wheat to do your experimental cleaning on. The pin is really cool.
Hope to see some posts with you and Rob hunting together.

:congrats:

del
07-30-2014, 06:46 PM
if its the 1-room school house i'm thinking of , you did very well to find that .

very interesting relic Brian and you cleaned it up pretty well too.

Trooper Bri
07-30-2014, 07:04 PM
It probably is Dan. Set to the right and back on the property. Only had to drive 15ft out of my way to hit the place, so had nothing to lose except a penny and the Colonel.

OxShoeDrew
07-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Brian, that pin is very cool. :congrats: Any info on its story? 1930s you say? I couldn't find anything after a quick search other than Turner's bio. Congrats!

Trooper Bri
07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
It was promotional stuff from Heinz Drew. This is what I found, has a couple pics too.
http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=200&ItemNo=89688

I should have posted more about it, sorry, but figured all of you have one by now. :lol: Wish the pin was still attached to the back.

Timewarpdigger
07-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Congrats for the finds. Like the pin. Safe & HH

Digger Don
07-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Great job, That 57 pin is sweet. Congrats

MangoAve
07-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Congrats on the finds and esp at that place. I live like 6 min from there, well, Google says 10 min. I'm sure the wheat front will clean up well. The back is a little toasty. Depends on which side was facing up in the ground to take the water and chemicals leaching down. Slowly finds get better and better. Except the few times where research fails and the place u thought was good really isnt.

Trooper Bri
07-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Darn state is the size of a postage stamp Jim, and I'm late to the game. I've been driving by that place for 25 years ironically, and have family within a minute of the place too. Like everyone else, wish I found this hobby (insert favorable number here) years ago.

Skamaniac
07-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Man, nice find on that pin! Love it.