PDA

View Full Version : Not sure this weird cast brass piece and iron piece.

MangoAve
08-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Got out to two places but they were more a reconnaissance trip. The second place I definitely found the structure(s). Wasn't there too lomg. In am access road I found this piece that looked like a target while uncovering it. Cast brass and it says No 6. There was a big Axe head I found too right at the foundation. And in the same hole there was this pointed iron piece. I believe I saw someone post the pointed piece before but idr what it was. I only recognize shape. Any ideas?4113741138

del
08-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Well Jim to me the brass item almost looks like the bottom to a brass candle holder and the iron item looks very close to a broken handle off an old cast iron frying pan.

Trooper Bri
08-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Hold your cards folks, I think we have a bingo!

Lodge Scent
08-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Dan identified the easy stuff. I think you also have a penny, a quarter and an ax head. ;)

Nesdore
08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Lol Lodge :rofl: I'd agree

MangoAve
08-03-2014, 06:10 PM
:rofl: I had to give an easy one this time. I stumped the master with the last whatsit post. The brass is thick and I obvious didn't think too long about what it could be. Now it's obvious. The pointed piece I was stumped but after posting I was thinking possibly a top to the wrought iron type fencing or iron window bars (not like we see many up this way).

BTV Digger
08-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Nice axe head. Reminds me of the 4 I have sitting around still waiting to be electrolysized.

John

giant056
08-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Here's the most recent ax head that I did electrolysis on.

MangoAve
08-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Here's the most recent ax head that I did electrolysis on.

Nice axe head. Reminds me of the 4 I have sitting around still waiting to be electrolysized.

John

Huh....I guess I could do that with the axe head. It actually looks like it's slightly used and pitted almost like you can sharpen it and used it... not the pile that it comes out of the ground.

And at the YTC meeting last night most who saw it can't identify the brass piece. Those who looked at it said it looked more like a dial or something went through it. It's pretty big to be used like a dial for a gas stove. The back is concave. I am not sure when plumbing was first introduced and whether or not the first escutcheons had holes to mount to a wall like they do now. This must have either needed friction inside the hole to hold it in place, or some clamp around the outside edge. There is a lip possibly used for the latter.

Skamaniac
08-08-2014, 01:29 AM
On the brass thing - that inner circle looks to me like a glass globe or something was seated there, like some type of gas lighting fixture. What else does it say? I see a 23 or 28 opposite the No. 6.

MangoAve
08-08-2014, 06:24 AM
On the brass thing - that inner circle looks to me like a glass globe or something was seated there, like some type of gas lighting fixture. What else does it say? I see a 23 or 28 opposite the No. 6.

Wow.. I didn't think the pic picked it up. At the YTC meeting I cleaned off the dirt a little more and found the other markings. Yes, it says R.A.28. The word you used kinda sparked something. It could be something like a gas light. Maybe it is the base to a globe. The sickle shaped piece would be attached through that hole in the center.

MangoAve
08-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Not 10 ft from where I got brass piece an artillery button was dug. Too bad it wasn't me that dug it, hence why I'm not starting a thread about it. First Regiment Artillerists from around 1815. So we know the time period of the place. It was hit hard tho. 41324