PDA

View Full Version : Pulltab Steve and I Had a Productive Day

mike l
08-03-2014, 03:24 PM
A colonial home had the first few inches of grass removed, so Steve and I spoke to the home owner who gave us the ok to hunt the property:cheesysmile:. Found the coppers within the first few minutes: 1788 Connecticut Copper, 17xx Connecticut Copper and a 1723 Hibernia Half Penny. Also found a stirling silver ring near the front door. We gave the homeowner all our finds after they where cleaned, he was thrilled! He said he owns a colonial house in the oldest part of town and we are welcome to detect it! :thumbsup02:We were thrilled! Happy hunting all

del
08-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Mike , the 1788 Connecticut looks like its a Miller 5-B.2 , a "very rare" variety according to coin facts .

MangoAve
08-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Nice finds. Was giving the homeowner the finds part of the agreement to detect or just because? (I did not read the statute for NY so idk with the possession rules are there)

mike l
08-04-2014, 10:22 AM
No, he was just interested in the date of the property, he thought is went back to the mid 1800's. We took the coins home, gently cleaned them and gave them to him to display at the house the next day. They are worth more to him than us. We do this often, usually the home owners are thrilled, and it usually produces more homes in the area to detect, as was the case here.

The Rebel
08-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Nice finds but for your hard work you should have kept something.

don in ny
08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
I think Del is right on the 5-B.2. Here's a picture of the one I have in my own collection, like the one Del posted, also struck over a Nova Constellatio copper. Most are.
41180 41181

pulltabsteve
08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
We do this often, usually the home owners are thrilled, and it usually produces more homes in the area to detect, as was the case here.

It sure was the case here!!:bananadance: Can't give it away but here's the condensed version...
Old house-we do a stop and knock-get permission-influential political figure in Albany-he knows and is liked by everyone in town-owns another house on the OLDEST block in town-
at least 10 very old houses are his neighbors-we get permission to do his main house-he will get us on all his neighbors properties too! :)

So, to us it was worth giving up these items.

giant056
08-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Awesome :thumbsup02:

Timewarpdigger
08-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Congrats Mike glad to see you back on the forum. Awesome finds!!!!!!!!!!!! Safe & HH