PDA

View Full Version : Meeting more people, digging more stuff - 8/3

Trooper Bri
08-04-2014, 07:26 PM
A big thanks to RobW for the invite to poke around his neck of the woods yesterday! Original plan was to hit some fields, but his buddy Tim had some research on the stove so a hunt for holes got included as well. Lots of laughs with those two, and plenty of new experiences for the noob.

Got started at 8AM on a 1700's farm house and fields Rob has permission for. Dealt with a little rain for little results. I got some clad, a Ferrari F40 Matchbox car, and not much else. The fields were coming in for hay, so we were limited. Took off after a couple hours in favor of Tim's research since it was slim pickings for all.

Put on a couple miles in the woods to find the road that led to Tim's target area. We wound up finding a few, but didn't have enough info between us and the area to figure out which one to follow. More research needed, so we hiked to some nearby fields, did some swinging, then hiked a bit more to the other end of the field where we were parked for a quick snack break. After the break hit the field where we parked, and after many hours and miles through the woods, joined the 1800's Club 100ft from the car! My first Indian, and all crusted up. It looked so cool.

The 2'nd coin I've tried cleaning. Wash in soapy water, and tried the peroxide soak for an hour or so for now to get most of the crust off. I forgot if it's harmful to the copper at all if I leave it in a long time.
Thanks for reading my ramblings all!

Digger Don
08-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Congrats on the old Indian. I think it looks great.

del
08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Brian , congrats on the Indian :cheering: these little coins seem to be hit or miss in these parts . Meaning they can sometimes clean up nice and show off that great green patina or can be toast. from the looks of your first picture it looked like it just needed the crust to be taken off , i usually take a wooden tooth pick and scrape off the crusty layer.

MangoAve
08-04-2014, 07:56 PM
from the looks of your first picture it looked like it just needed the crust to be taken off , i usually take a wooden tooth pick and scrape off the crusty layer.

I did say this exact thing in a thread where someone asked about cleaning finds as well as one of my own threads. It's crazy how the dirt sticks to the coin but preserves it. ...just an agreement.

Timewarpdigger
08-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Congrats for the IH. Safe & HH

zrickkid
08-04-2014, 09:00 PM
WTG man! I remember digging my first Indian. What a rush.

aloldstuff
08-05-2014, 05:58 AM
:congrats: Brian on that 1890 IH. Glad to see that you got out with RobW and Tim, couple of great guys. They both have the passion for the old stuff and usually have some great sites to go to.

Bell-Two
08-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Congrats on that first Indian and nice that it is an 1800 era too!

BTV Digger
08-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Congrats on your first IH. I can feel your excitement when you pulled it out of the ground. Felt the same way on my first IH.

John

RobW
08-05-2014, 03:48 PM
I am so glad you found a great keeper. Especially after the hell we put you through!:devilish: It was so bad he was asking if we were hazing him...lol

He did learn a very important lesson...never follow Tim into the woods with "there should be a cellar hole NOT FAR from here." 4-5 miles of hiking was not on my agenda, especially with a bum knee. I could barely walk the next day.

I felt like Charlie Brown....Brian got an Indian, Tim a few buttons......and all I got was some Iron:bangshead01:

Still overall I believe a good time was had by all. It was good to get back out and do a little :detecting:. Can't wait for the field to be harvested to get back out in them.

OxShoeDrew
08-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Nice Indian Brian! I don't ever soak anything in peroxide for an hour....but I'm not very versed in the cleaning end of this...and your results are fabulous! I heat the peroxide (when I use it) and it seems to speed up things. Maybe I should be giving it a slower wash. :)

Trooper Bri
08-05-2014, 09:17 PM
I am so glad you found a great keeper. Especially after the hell we put you through!:devilish: It was so bad he was asking if we were hazing him...lol

Hahaha!
I was joking around saying this is how you guys get rid of the noobs, or see if they're cut out for detecting. Take them to played out areas one trip, then death march them around in the woods all day. Handful of trips like that, then you take them to a public park and call it your "honey hole". :rofl:

A good time was definitely had. Hope your knee is OK.

Next crusty coin I'll take Dan's advice and go at it with the toothpick first to see if it's all green. That's the problem with going through threads @ 10PM when I'm nodding in my chair. Probably read that, and forgot it the next day. And yeah, the peroxide was warmed up Drew. That much I remembered. Oh well, I didn't kill it, and still learning.

Nesdore
08-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Nice Indian Brian my favorite coin to dig I think :congrats:

MangoAve
08-06-2014, 06:40 AM

He did learn a very important lesson...never follow Tim into the woods with "there should be a cellar hole NOT FAR from here." 4-5 miles of hiking was not on my agenda, especially with a bum knee. I could barely walk the next day.

then you take them to a public park and call it your "honey hole". :rofl:

Brian, you gotta work for your finds. Earn your keeps if you are gonna roll with the big boys. :cool::hystericallaugh:You don't show the honey hole right away. Didn't Rob and you comment on such last week? The one that I was shown where the location, I gotsta wait until the field is harvested and until I get the invite to go down to hunt. However I will say, a park is where I got maybe my best finds. I believe the hunt where I got the earing and merc and bunch of wheats someone had mentioned it was my best yet.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-07-2014, 06:41 AM
nice hunt! good to hook up with fellow forum members