PDA

View Full Version : Couple of hunts and some nice buttons

coinnut
08-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Well, the Pequot hunts have slowed down both in number of days out there, and quantity of good finds. I did a Thursday and Friday hunt at the location where the conical points came from 2 seasons ago. Total finds for the two days - good vs bad? 30 shot gun shells, 102 bullet casings, 85 22cal lead slugs. That's the bad :lol:. The good was only 3 musket balls. :shocked01: We need to move on to the next areas soon. Since there was no hunt today, I decided to try and get some coppers at a site that I found my best Constellatio Nova copper at. I spent about 5 hours there and did not score a single coin. But that's OK since I did get two military buttons. I forgot that this is also the site that some nice Excelsior buttons came from and it also gave up Eagle buttons in the past too. Today I got one of each. :clapping: The Eagle buttons don't hold up too well in this soil, but this one is decent enough. The Excelsior buttons on the other hand, have had a lot of silver plate left on them. Today's is no exception, it cleaned up excellent. For those people interested in what I'm digging to get these finds, I'm showing them all. I did use some discrimination on the GPX today, but also tested the bad targets by digging a bunch of them in order to verify the discriminator is not getting rid of good targets too. The pictures are typical of what you will dig using a pulse machine with limited discrimination. I'm getting better at it and believe it or not, there is a reduction in iron targets dug since last week :rolleyes: I didn't expect much but was really surprised at what I did get today. Next time out I am going to see how many buttons are left at the button site where 600 buttons came out of there to date.

Full Metal Digger
08-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Good lord man, that excelsior button doesn't even look dug! What a great find. Congrats and HH, Dave.

Bell-Two
08-05-2014, 08:30 PM
What a beautiful Excelsior button...My oh my! :wow:

coinnut
08-05-2014, 08:38 PM
I knew when I saw it come out of the dirt that it had a ton of silvering left on it. The others from this site held us just as well. Here's a picture before I cleaned it, that I forgot to include. The back even has some silver left on it too.

BTV Digger
08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Man, you are dedicated! Worth it though if you're pulling out buttons like those. Congrats. Also see the square nut with a hole in it on the top pic. Those sound like true treasure in the ground don't they? Thx for posting.

John

Tony Two-Cent
08-05-2014, 08:57 PM
George, that New York Militia Excelsior button is simply breathtaking! :loveit:

If I ever found something like that I would stare at it non-stop for a week!

:perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
08-06-2014, 06:07 AM
Oh Boy! :drool: Sweet ox knob :lol:
That button is dreamy :daydream: Nice going George!

MangoAve
08-06-2014, 06:28 AM
George, nice finds. I will give the shortened Dan version: sometimes you get lucky at a site.... said as far as how long you spent without finding a coin. The buttons make up for it tho. Esp the excelsior. This is less iron?? :shocked04: :lol: The pointer I have is pulse but obvi pointers don't have discrimination. Even tho it's pulse it will still set off the frequency sytle detector if it's too close. Didn't know you had a new machine that you were learning. Well..as you told me.. keep going man.

Oh Boy! :drool: Sweet ox knob :lol:

Hahaha, you would pick that item out of all the finds....

Lodge Scent
08-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Next time out I am going to see how many buttons are left at the button site where 600 buttons came out of there to date.

That is a beauty for sure! 600 hundred buttons from one site! George, are there previous posts describing those hunts? Sounds like it would be interesting reading.

coinnut
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM
That is a beauty for sure! 600 hundred buttons from one site! George, are there previous posts describing those hunts? Sounds like it would be interesting reading.

Thanks. There should be some posts floating around the web somewhere :lol: I tried to find some on here, but they may have been from before this forum was up and running. We figured that these sites were a place that may have been a cloth recycling area. Almost all the buttons were flat buttons. Very few pewter and only 1 military (I think), came out of there. The better buttons probably were resold. Some days I came home with 50 buttons :shocked01:. Next free day, I'm in there to see if any are left.

coinnut
08-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Man, you are dedicated! Worth it though if you're pulling out buttons like those. Congrats. Also see the square nut with a hole in it on the top pic. Those sound like true treasure in the ground don't they? Thx for posting.

John

Thanks John. That is a regular hunt for me. I dig a lot of holes. I always have :lol: I try to be efficient and can find, pinpoint, dig a target rather quickly. Pinpointers help a lot!! Covering a lot of ground in the least amount of time has always allowed me to find more relics. As for those square iron targets :girlcry: They sound as good as them iron rings do.

Isaac
08-06-2014, 01:03 PM
No words to describe that button besides DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! :shocked05: I can only dream. Incredible pull!!!

Thiltzy
08-06-2014, 03:02 PM
What a gorgeous excelsior button George. Looks like you're getting to know your machine. Congrats on the great digs

del
08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Glad to see that place is still producing sweet looking buttons

Robbie
08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Nice job cleaning it,SWEET

Timewarpdigger
08-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Great finds and glad to see that you continue on the site. Congrats.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-07-2014, 06:39 AM
beautiful!

fsa46
08-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Congratulations on an absolutely awesome button George.

The Rebel
08-07-2014, 07:49 PM
WTG George on the Buttons!

RobW
08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks. There should be some posts floating around the web somewhere :lol: I tried to find some on here, but they may have been from before this forum was up and running..

You may have started it before this forum, but there were some posts, and you took me there once..and I didn't know you before this forum. So there are some somewhere.

Awesome button:envious:

CTTodd
08-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Spent time pays off. Nicely

giant056
08-08-2014, 03:08 PM
That Excelsior button is in remarkable condition, congrats on some great finds :thumbsup02:

coinnut
08-08-2014, 08:25 PM
You may have started it before this forum, but there were some posts, and you took me there once..and I didn't know you before this forum. So there are some somewhere.

Awesome button:envious:

They should be, but using the search is impossible with the words "Button" and "Site" or "Cellar Hole" :rolleyes: I won't be alive long enough to search all them hits :lol: Feel free to find them Rob :cheesysmile: I'm going there next week and see what buttons lurk in the 7"+ range.

pulltabsteve
08-10-2014, 03:25 PM
:clapping: Beautiful button G!! I can relate spending 5 hours at a site and not scoring a single coin...