PDA

View Full Version : A cellar hunt with Dan, and my 1'st button - 8/8

Trooper Bri
08-09-2014, 06:08 PM
A big thanks to Dan again for the invite to join him for a day to check out a site. Took Friday off at the beginning of the week since it was going to be so nice, and that made it even nicer.
Dan pointed out what we were looking at. A lot of fields and walls around a cellar hole on a farm that did well. The cellar was rimmed with cut stone, and the fireplace was impressive. The pens and barn were pointed out as well.

We got to work, but it was slow digging. The place had been hit pretty good. Dug up the larger iron targets I was getting just to see farm crunk. Got an oxe shoe, hoe, nails, part of a small horseshoe (maybe), the ring off an umbrella, and ammo leavings.
In between all that I had wandered to the back wall the cellar was on, and started working along it. Ding! Figured it was going to be another shell casing, but nope, got my 1'st button! :happydance01: Identified by Dan as a Dandy. No shank though. Tossed it in a baggie of dirt to keep it.

Wandered around through the fields and pens more, digging crunk. Think I stopped to see what Dan was digging and check in. He showed me an interesting piece he had dug earlier, and played the guessing game with me. I don't do so good at these early in the hobby.
After that I decided to shift gears a little and detect along the road where it was walled in on both sides. Good choice because buttons 2, 3, and 4 happened a few minutes later and within 20ft of each other! :happy:
Wandered more of the road, went into the fields again for more crunk, and on the way back to base camp hit the road again. Button #5 came up close to the others. Poked around more, but that's all I could find.

The fancy one cleaned up last night OK for being in the hard packed road, and only a few inches down. Wadhams Coe & Co, 1830's (thanks for the assist Dan). The others I saved for today. The smaller domed button was near toast. I took the dirt off very gently and tried dusting it with talc to make what little design it had left stick out for the pic. It and Double Gilt did not like being dried. They got the Elmer's glue trick immediately after pics. I'm surprised how quickly they started to flake. Guess the pics wait next time.

Thanks again Dan for the opportunity to find this stuff. At least let me pay for gas next time!
On with the pics!

Scenery:

I thought I had 6 buttons, but don't believe the smallest (bottom center) item is. Maybe a decorative rivet, or small knob? Dunno. This go with your item of interest Dan? Found it close to where you found that. I have a better pic of the back if needed.

And the rest of my finds. Don't know what that ring is a broken step or pull maybe? The axe or hatchet head isn't old, but with a new handle and a little sharpening will be handy.

Full Metal Digger
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Nice digs. That golden button cleaned up really nice. HH, Dave. Glad you didn't join the "yellow jacket" club!

Isaac
08-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Those are some awesome buttons... some of my favorite finds!!! Sounds like you and Dan had a fun day!!! :thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
08-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Wow, nice looking hole and buttons! ...and a parasol part too. Anything on that dandy...or just wiped? Excellent day you guys had!

del
08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey Brian , great pictures of the cellar and sweet job on the button cleaning :clapping: I was hoping this site was going to be good since it was pretty far out there and on no maps but still had a great time exploring a new area. I think once the ferns die down it will open up and show us some new things I just know there is some coins and good relic laying around.

Trooper Bri
08-09-2014, 06:58 PM
The dandy I only gave a washing with soapy water and a toothbrush Drew. Looks wiped, just not sure how aggressive to get with this stuff to clean it up yet obviously. I gave it a light coat of the Elmers solution with a q-tip for now to be safe, but it seemed OK being dry.

EDIT: The CLR trick worked awesome Dan. Tried dabbing it on the shank first to make sure the base metal didn't turn red. It shined up real nice compared to what it was. Especially the back.

del
08-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Brian the Dandies are a copper or brass alloy composition , these types really don't need the "elmer's treatment" only pewter buttons or other things made of pewter. the brass or copper alloy hold up pretty well after cleaning (and you can get moderately aggressive with a brass brush ) then maybe just a bit of vaseline , olive oil or metal oil will preserve them pretty well.

Timewarpdigger
08-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Nice finds and congrats on your first buttons. They are really fun to find, when I found my first it felt as good as my first silver. Safe & HH

Trooper Bri
08-09-2014, 07:54 PM
It really was a light coat Dan, so I just dropped the dandy into warm soapy water and will toothbrush it off. Will try it with the brass brush tomorrow.

Bell-Two
08-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Good looking bunch of buttons, the Dandy buttons are an exciting find!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2014, 09:13 PM
very nice hunt & pics Bri! congrats on your 1st buttons

kpmoose
08-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Congrats Brian. By the thread title, I was thinking you only got 1 button. Great to hear you got 5. Super congrats on all the buttons. :thumbsup02: That is a sweet looking area. Hopefully you got the ax head late in the day so you didn't have to carry that one around too long. :grin:

Skamaniac
08-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great day. Congrats on the buttons!

Lodge Scent
08-10-2014, 08:30 PM
Very cool! Good job on the buttons.

coinnut
08-10-2014, 09:20 PM
You did good. Some nice looking old buttons. :thumbsup01: Even that long nail is in great shape. I keep a lot of the better, cleaner, straight nails for a collection.

fsa46
08-11-2014, 05:51 AM
You had a fine hunt with a partner that can teach you a lot.

MangoAve
08-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Congrats on the buttons. The one you cleaned up and the one that was to the right of it look cool. At least yours has some of the gold color left. The one double gilt I got had nothing left. The foundation had the big flat long blocks. The last cellar hole I was at had this stone moved off the foundation but no other holes I have been to still had the flat stones there. I wonder why they would be removed from those other sites.

I keep a lot of the better, cleaner, straight nails for a collection.

Lol, why's that? To be part of a test garden or such? The bent nails are the ones that sometimes give your discriminator an issue.

Trooper Bri
08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
You did good. Some nice looking old buttons. :thumbsup01: Even that long nail is in great shape. I keep a lot of the better, cleaner, straight nails for a collection.

Thankya sir. I like it too actually. 1'st nail I've dug that didn't get cursed at and dumped in the junk pail at the end of the day. :lol: 5 1/4" and a bit of the tip is broken.

I can only guess Jim. Maybe this farm site we were at prospered long enough where the design of newer foundations made those quarry cut blocks obsolete and unwanted by the time they were revealed. Or forgotten in the the overgrowth. Earlier abandoned sites I would think got scavenged for them as I'm sure they were valuable back then.

You're not kidding fsa. Only hope to be able to return the favor(s) some day.

Thiltzy
08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Nice hunt you had there with Dan. Some good looking buttons...I bet ya there are some coins hiding in them ferns. Maybe you can get back there in the fall

The Rebel
08-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Lovely looking spot! WTG on the buttons!