PDA

View Full Version : Another hunt and some more pain

coinnut
08-15-2014, 12:17 PM
:lol: Yep, them Pequot hunts are getting dangerous ;) Got stung again by a yellow jacket. Sting number 4 for the year. :clapping: They kind of feel good after a while....free acupuncture. I think this is the 6th or 7th ground nest we have found. I felt safe in this field since we have covered it repeatedly, but them little buggers were busy starting more nests. Fall is coming for sure. Anyways, not much left in this spot, but did manage to get a bunch of keepers for them. I used the deep mode for the first time on the GPX and went super slow. It does pick up an inch or two more, which is a lot. I didn't take a lot of pictures, and found 3 buttons, a decorative shield, lead scrap, etc... Got the two musket balls pictured also.

Went out today to an old colonial house that the owner gave me permission to hunt a few years ago. I'm glad he remembered me :lol: So I hit it for about 2 hours. Got an older bullet, 3 iron buttons and a nice little piece of silver. Used the CTX with the small coil for this hunt.

Full Metal Digger
08-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Congrats on the finds and 3-cent piece. I have not yet found one of those. Have you tried wearing a bee costume like that little girl in that Blind Melon music video from the 90's? I'll bet the yellow jackets would leave you alone then!

Tony Two-Cent
08-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Beautiful Three Cent Silver, George! :smitten:

That coin is on my wish list! Too bad you had to get stung, but I bet the nice trime made it all worth it. :yes:

You got some decent old musket balls and relics too.

:congrats:

kray
08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Nice digs. I hiked the Appalachian Trail with a guy who would catch bees and have them sting his hands. He said it helped his arthritis. Who knew? His trail name was Mr. Bee.

MangoAve
08-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Congrats on the Trime. I wanna find one of those buggars.

Congrats on the finds and 3-cent piece. I have not yet found one of those. Have you tried wearing a bee costume like that little girl in that Blind Melon music video from the 90's? I'll bet the yellow jackets would leave you alone then!

:rofl: I can picture George doing that for some reason, but never thought about it.

Isaac
08-15-2014, 02:07 PM
That's a beautiful trime! :clapping:

I'm fortunate to have never been stung by a yellow jacket... but that might change when I come up to New England... it seems like every day you guys up there get stung. :lolsign:

Skamaniac
08-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Nice finds. Love the three cent piece.

OxShoeDrew
08-15-2014, 04:48 PM
I don't want to jinx myself but I've never been stung MDing.:crossfingers: I find it difficult to look for stone walls in the distance, watch my every step, look overhead for paper wasp nests, and try to detect. Sorry to hear of your stings but that trime is sweet :envious:

Timewarpdigger
08-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Nice finds and congrats for the 3 center. Safe & HH

Trooper Bri
08-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Again? Don't those fancy pants detectors have some sort of wasp discrimination mode you can turn on? Notch out the angrier bugs. You're gonna get a sponsorship from EpiPen if this keeps up.

Congrats on the 3 cent piece, very cool. The rev side looks more like something you'd get out of a fortune telling machine than a cash register.

The Rebel
08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
WTG on the finds. Love the Trime! Sorry to hear you got zapped again. Seems they've been pretty PO'd this summer more than usual.

Tennessee digger
08-15-2014, 07:06 PM
I love the 3 cent piece, it's been a LONG time since I found one! Congrats on a great hunt.

coinnut
08-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone. I kept a good eye out for them all day long, but they got me on the very last hole. :dontknow: That is the one disadvantage to the GPX over the 3030. I can run and leave the 3030, but try running when you are tethered to the GPX :lol: The best you can do is drag it along until you can pick it up.:rolleyes: The 3 cent silvers are showing up more often for me in the past 2 years, then they have done in the previous 20 years. I think I have 5 or 6 of them now. I may go out tomorrow to the button hole and try the GPX out there. It's been a couple of days since I was stung, so I am ready for more.... just not in the face this time please :cheesysmile:

Bell-Two
08-15-2014, 09:30 PM
The Trime is on my wish list I would consider getting a sting for one yep I take one right in the A... Er arm!

giant056
08-16-2014, 12:49 AM
Excellent score on the three center :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
08-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Love that trime George. Another item on my wish list. Yellow jackets do not discriminate where they sting you, sorry about your experience.

don in ny
08-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Nice going on the 3 cent piece. I still haven't found one of them although one of the guys in my club picked one up at one of our club hunts in the spring. I know one guy who pulled 9 of them out of one area in CT. Go figure. Keep away from the bees. Those *&#% yellow jackets are a real pain.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the Trime. I wanna find one of those buggars.

:rofl: I can picture George doing that for some reason, but never thought about it.
me too!